Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

At last! Information for Germany-bound teachers!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hodd

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:46 pm    Post subject: At last! Information for Germany-bound teachers! Reply with quote

On this and the old board, are countless postings from people desperate to teach in Germany. Every week, would-be teachers are e-mailing me for advice, on the strength of my solitary post, �Good School in Frankfurt� written nearly two years ago on the Job Information Journal. Clearly there is a huge demand for information to help Germany-bound teachers. I am always amazed that in this fascinating and well-organised country, no one can answer questions such as:

Can Americans, Canadians, etc work here?
Do I have to pay tax?
If I teach in Frankfurt, can I afford a penthouse apartment in the fashionable Westend? (No)

This period of uncertainty may soon be at an end. I have just (today) started a website meant, initially, for teachers in Northern Germany. Please bear in mind that it is brand new. I will, however, do the necessary research and publish information for non-EU teachers if there is sufficient demand.

I would especially like to hear from teachers already in Northern Germany. Hamburg has its HELTA, Munich a MELTA, Frankfurt a�.ELTAF, those Hessisch types have to be awkward I guess. I�m very keen to start a BELTA, maybe I�ll work on a better acronym, for teachers in and around Bremen and Hamburg.

Do you work at Bremen University, VHS or one of the many schools in this area or Hamburg? Please check the following site. It is very new indeed but I�ve promised many teachers and students that I�ll update it at least once a week.

Are you an isolated Bremen/Hamburg teacher? Did you endure a cold and lonely Kohlfahrt? Need help with your present perfect preparation? Check this site in the coming weeks.
Ann

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you John!
That is very nice of you. I hope you will add a lot of useful information for non-EU citizens, and not only in the Bremen/Hamburg area. I know Munich has a MELTA but is there something for Baden-Wurrtemburg?
Just wondering...
Albulbul

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 10:38 am    Post subject: MODERATORS !!!!!!! INTERVENE !!!!!!! Reply with quote

This is a link to a site which is purely and simply advertising for someone providing course. If they want to advertise they should pay. They should not pretend that they are providing information when they are only touting for business.
Paul G

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: MODERATORS !!!!!!! INTERVENE !!!!!!! Reply with quote

Albulbul wrote:
This is a link to a site which is purely and simply advertising for someone providing course. If they want to advertise they should pay. They should not pretend that they are providing information when they are only touting for business.

I was under the impression that you didn't like the "thought police" censoring posts, Albulbul.....or are we only "thought police" when it applies to your posts? I hope you'll keep this in mind the next time you want to denigrate the forum moderators.

In this particular instance you happen to be right.

To Hodd Your post was allowed to remain on this forum purely on the strength of your assertion that the web site is offering a non-commercial service to teachers in Germany. Upon inspection of the site it is obvious that Albulbul is correct in his assessment of the content. The link to your site has been removed. If you change the site content so that it is offering a non-commercial service to teachers, PM me and we will consider allowing you to repost the link.
Albulbul

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 5:05 pm    Post subject: Thoughtcrime Reply with quote

Thought police remain thought police. Alas as we saw some time back when a forum is unmoderated it descends very quickly into anarchy.

Why do some people want to get a free ride ? Reminds of my colleagues who won't buy a daily newspaper but will come into my office and read mine !
Hodd

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 9:42 pm    Post subject: Me and my free rides Reply with quote

oo a bit harsh people.

In Japan, Korea and Thailand, to name a few countries, are countless sites giving excellent information about teaching. At present, no such site exists for Germany.

I know the owner of a Thailand web site. He spends thousands of hours of his own time putting that site together, for free. Developing a website takes time.

My plans are:

1. Do a whole load of research about teaching, primarily in Bremen and to a lesser extent Hamburg. This is the area that I know and, in any case, other cities already have decent English Teaching sites � look and ye shall find.

2. Speak to as many school owners as I can to find out the attitude to hiring non-EU citizens. Just to let you know people, my current boss wouldn�t even consider you. Every day I get e-mails from (usually) North Americans asking if they can get work here. There is a huge demand for information from non-EU people interested in teaching here.

3. Include some stuff about life in Germany, language, what to expect, etc.

4. Some exercises and links for students.

This will take some time. Teaching is my job, not website design. If I can get some publicity and, as a consequence, a few hours extra work to cover the costs of developing a web site then so be it.

If you feel that hundreds of hours building a website is a free ride then that�s fine by me.

Paul G � I won�t PM you yet as my site is still in its infancy.

In the meantime, feel free to e-mail: [email protected] for some FREE advice.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 11:08 am    Post subject: advbertising or information Reply with quote

There is a clear distinction, at least to me, between advertising and information. If you want to advertise pay your money. And don't expect us to believe what you tell us about these wonderful, unique, inspiring courses you put on.

For those requiring information about teaching in Germany there are teachers' associations affilited to IATEFL and or TESOL.

And do not beleieve everything you see in print - on the internet or elsewhere. Sharks abound in these waters. Some of them eat EFL teachers for breakfast !

Last edited by scot47 on Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Hodd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 11:41 am    Post subject: mm Reply with quote

Well Scot47, in reply to your well written post�Since posting a solitary note on the Job Information Journal in 2001, I have received two e-mails a week on average asking about teaching here. No doubt people e-mailing your good self would be told, in no uncertain terms, to check out these teachers� associations. Many of those asking me had already checked out these associations and their web sites. Have you actually seen the sites? They are woeful in comparison to those offered for many Asian countries. No disrespect to the members of the German teaching associations, I know all too well that a web site takes time.

OK, I was cheeky advertising my courses too. I apologise to Paul G and Dave S. I probably won�t ask Paul G to put another link to my site on here anyway. Can we change this boring record now?

Scot47, whilst not inspiring or wonderful, the courses are unique for my part of Germany. I�ll remember to add that adjective to my site. In any case, the courses are not aimed at you as your writing style clearly indicates the lack of need.

Chill out. Be happy. Life is too short to moan. Laughing
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 11:01 am    Post subject: information on ELT in deutschland Reply with quote

There are a number of Teachers' Association that can provide information.

Munich English Teachers' Assoc is one. There are others in other "Laender"

for melta try
www.melta.de

Brandenburg-Berlin had a website too. And Hamburg. there must surely be one in NRW too.

I have given up trying to get a job in Germany. I will settle for working in the Middle East and visiting Germany on holiday. "So it goes" to quote Kilgore Trout.

I would also like to live in the South of France but have had to write that off too ! You can't always get what you want !
Lynden

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 3:32 am    Post subject: You can't always get what you want Reply with quote

Well Scot, I have to disagree with you on that. I too want to move to Germany. I realized that the ESL route was hardly the best ticket over. Then I decided that since I love social work, I'll spend the 2 years I need to finish that degree, then move over to the UK (where they really need Social Workers), get my passport and then it is finally off to Germany. All right, maybe detour once in South Africa on the way. Am I crazy? Yes. But I will get what I want!
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 7:16 am    Post subject: not in touch with Terra Firma Reply with quote

You are, I fear, not in touch with Terra Firma. Getting the equivalent of a British CQSW (Certificarte opf Qualification in Social Work) will qualify you to work in the UK. What will it do for you in Germany ? Their system and Social Work qualifications are TOTALLY different ! So now what....?

Have you considered why there is a pressing need for Social Workers on the sceptred isle ? Stress, burnout, high turnover, you name it. Better stick to TEFL my friend.

And I do not quite understand where the getting of a UK passport fits in. You are going to apply for nationality after 3 years residence ? Or you alrready entitled through the "patriality" clauses in the Nanionality acts.

You do not make your plans very clear.
Lynden

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:59 pm    Post subject: no more tefl Reply with quote

no more tefl! I looked at the german association for social workers website and it looks as though the qualifications are the same for Canada (BSW is equivalent to Sozialarbeits Diplom) and they have recently modified their graduate programs so that they call their MSW's, well, MSW's. Standards are equivalent. Of course the UK is changing their requirement to a undergrad degree but since that is the minimum standard in Canada that too is ok. I was either looking at the 3 year naturalization process (in the UK) or just finding a hospital in Eastern Germany where (as I've heard and seen) no one else wants to work and doing clinical social work there. Or child protection or whatever other services they may need. I think that due to the nature of some of these jobs there is an inherent shortage of recruitable employees. That's where I am hoping to come in. I guess at first I saw my chance in doing an MA ESL but that looked like a worse option.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 5:15 am    Post subject: social work in Deutschland Reply with quote

For sure fluency in German will be a prerequisite. If you don't have it start now !!!
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 6:30 pm    Post subject: working in the FRG Reply with quote

Well you could make it as a busdriver too. Last time I was in Hanburg they were desperate for busdrivers. 4.6 million registered unemployed and nobody wants this job. Wonder why ! Same with Social Workers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: