Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

esl in Bahgdad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peakbagger03

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 4:14 am    Post subject: esl in Bahgdad Reply with quote

Idea I'm just wondering if anyone has experience in Iraq? It might be a good time to get a good teaching position....as most people are probably afraid to go now Wink

Bob
Gary B

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wha'z up?
Funny you should mention Iraq Peak because I was thinking the same thing. I would wait until after the war (if it does happen) and the dust settles, which may take an awful long time, becuase I think there would be a need for EFL instructors in Iraq IF a somewhat democratic government takes hold and the country is shakey but stable. My gut instincts tell me however that there will be a lot of in-fighting among the different ethnic groups and self-interest groups. If the U.S. has a plan to develop the country after a possible war there may be a demand for English since the U.S. will obviously have an influence in that country. Sort of the same scenario in Vietnam. I would imagine pay would be horrible though, but may be an interesting experience. I am in favor of continued inspections rather than military action by the way.
Chow for Now,
Always Looking For Possibilities As Remote As They Maybe In Motown Gary B.
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 7:28 am    Post subject: very funny Reply with quote

Ahhh yes, I can see it all clearly now. Shocked

School Sales Manager talking to prospective student:

"Well, Mustafa. We have a wide range of English programs available to you, Inshallah! For example, there's English for Anthrax Survivors-101, featuring Headway's new gas-mask FAQ entitled, "How to take off your gas-mask without pulling out your hair." And this year, we are proud to be offering English for POW'S, with a special focus on table manners behind bars. No? Well, how about "Intro to English for Traitors of the Regime?" But wait. That's not all, Mustafa! If you sign up today for one course at the regular price ... we'll throw in a 10% discount on our new Kiddie's course. For this class, we are reviving the old American standby from the Cold War, "Run, Duck and Cover", a **NEW** and **EXCITING** ESL children's book featuring the illustrated guide entitled, "What to do When you Hear the AC-130 Gunships Approaching." ... Meet the lovable Barney and all of his friends...hug him, play with him, and then run with him to the nearest air-raid shelter! There, you can all sing along to that old-time classic and favorite kids' song, "No head or shoulders, knees or toes, knees or toes. No head or shoulders, knees or toes, knees or toes. Shot and bruised with a bloody nose, No head or shoulders, knees or toes, knees or toes!"

Good grief Exclamation

DISCLAIMER and LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: The above post is intended to be humorous, and in no way reflects the author's political ideology, nationality or fingernail color. Any implied reference to persons living, dead, or soon-to-be-dead is purely coincidental. Dave's ESLCAFE assumes no responsibility for the editorial comments or bad jokes of its contributors. Laughing
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 3:22 pm    Post subject: A good Korea move Reply with quote

Dear backpacker 03,
I'd advise against Iraq right now. The " human shields " are probably taking up all the English instruction slack there. But have you considered North Korea? Just be sure to pack a lot of food.
Regards,
John
Stephen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear Afganistan has been very interesting over the last few months as well.

Also the Ivory Coast is supposed to be far from dull at the moment.

Stephen
Gary B

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wha'z up?
OK you guys laugh, but I'm tellin' ya that in a couple or several years Afghanistan and Iraq could be the next hot spot for EFL. Where is one of the biggest demands and the place where they pay the biggest bucks? It's right smack dab in the middle of the Middle East now! He who laughs last gets the biggest bucks.
Thinking Ahead In Motown Gary B.
arioch36

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And exactly what will they pay you with, seeing the religious Taliban people stole all the money. I am sure, though, in a pinch, their paper money can be used for toilet paper
markoinbangkok

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teacher wanted: Bagdhad.

Experienced backpacker required to teach military personel rudimentary white flag waving and "OK, you got me". Class size initially about one million, but will reduce drastically.

Pay and conditions are negotiable.

An interest in French would help as transcribing the electronics manuals to Iraqui engineers is also part of the job. (That Italian stuff we bought didn't work anyway so we buried it!)

If you are English, American, North Korean please apply pretty soon.

You will be paid holidays and the contract is about 5 days!!!
bnix

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 3:54 am    Post subject: So "Chowman" is Contemplating Iraq? Reply with quote

That tells you a lot right there.Some of these guys(in almost all cases not qualified) get the idea that they are sort of well,you know, an ESL version of Lawrence of Arabia, James Bond and Che Guevara all rolled into one.

There was a guy TDO(The Dangerous One) who used to post on the old discussion format.Claimed he wanted to teach in North Korea.Then Libya.Then claimed he was stuck in Mali because "bandits stole my passport" and he had a deadline to get to Tripoli(Libya).Undoubtedly a troll.
Ciao for Now Laughing Laughing
Roger

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, bnix, that guy was a troll. What's a troll? Someone that makes droll comments! A funster! An impostor!
At least it was amusing. Quaintly, faintly so!

Still, if and when jobs are up in Baghdad, I for one shall be interested...
No problem with French or Italian!
bnix

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 5:11 am    Post subject: Bonne Chance in Baghdad,Roger Reply with quote

Or whatever "good luck " is in Hassaniyah Arabic...I am sure you will do a good job.Better wait awhile,though. Smile
Albulbul

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 6:16 am    Post subject: Ayrak Reply with quote

Well back in the 1980's there WERE jobs in EFL in "Ayrak". Never as many or as well-paid as ikn Iran.

After the war they will be spending their oil reveues on something else. They will not have money to spare to pay honkey EFL instructors.

You want to work in this part of the world then Kuwait, KSA or the UAE ae the places. If you are one of those who can hack it, the "Gulf" is not such a bad place !
peakbagger03

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 6:23 pm    Post subject: Buy Stock in Duct Tape Reply with quote

Embarassed OK!, so I guess i'll buy stock in Duct Tape and Plastic sheeting, anthrax survivors 101, maybe go next fall.
Peakbagger03
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iraq? I'm ready to go! Wouldn't pass up an opportunity like that. But I'd look at it the same way I'd look at any other job: How much money, how many hours, what are the perks, etc. I've grown wary of the do-gooder, international social-worker positions; but if the money's there, I'm game.
SueH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to teach students from Iraq come to England - plenty of (eminently sensible) Kurdish asylum seekers in our classes. If only the coming conflict was all about these people's welfare and not over black gold.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: