Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

whats the difference between the TESOL and ESL?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roselyn1792

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: whats the difference between the TESOL and ESL? Reply with quote

I'm thinking of taking the ESL online courses but I keep seeing "TESOL" and when I see the price of it, it's like $1000+. is there a difference between those two?
Freddie_Unbelievable

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you ask the people at the International school where you "plan to apply".
Gordon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TESOL is a teacher's organization from the US.
ESL is English as a Second Language

You might be thinking of TEFL, which is a certificate called Teaching English as a Foreign Language.
If you want to teach English then you get a TEFL certificate.
bluffer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gordon - think I will disagree with you on that.

Rosslyn - see the answers on the other thread you started in Thailand.

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/job/viewtopic.php?t=29900

Rosslyn, its not normally a good idea to start the same thread in more thn one country area.

and dont take an online course. I dont think there is one i have seen that would be worth the money for a newbie to the business. Take one of the residential courses.
saint57

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TESOL = Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
TESL = Teaching English as a Second Langauge

If you get your certificate from a Canadian or American company it will be TESL. If you get it from a company in the U.K. it will be TESOL. I did mine online while I was teaching but I a newbie shouldn't do this.
philbags

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the other ( and original - i think ) variant is CELTA - Certificate in Teaching English as a Foreign Language to Adults. its ratified by the Cambridge (U.K.) examining board and is the standard across the world, ooooh!. Tesol is a bit younger and (I THINK) ratified by trinity/oxford. niether of these are much more than an eye opener, it takes most people a couple of years to get to grips with teaching in different environments so really experience would be the key issue if not for new teachers.the certificate gives you a license to go out and start teaching but doesnt guarantee you as a professional. Real classroom experience plus theory is what these courses offer, and of course endless feedback and peer analysis.I cant imagine that on-line courses could provide this.
In any case - I havent looked back since i started teaching; its a fantastic job for more reasons than i can be bothered to write here( im a bit drunk you see)
Oh yeah, im really enjoying reading these threads 'bout cambodia - that khmerhit's some dude. maybe see you round.
SheZook

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first thought about teaching English overseas I wasn't sure whether it would be for me or not. I didn't want to fork out $1500 to do a CELTA course if I wasn't sure that I wanted to teach overseas. I decided to come to China without a TESOL certificate to see whether I would enjoy teaching English. I'm expecting to get flamed here but let me say this first...no, I wasn't sure if I would like it but at the same time I did know that even if I didn't like it, I still have the ability and determination to do a good job and complete my contract. I didn't come here thinking that if I didn't like it, I would just pack up and go home a month or so into the contract. I came prepared and committed to doing a good job whether I liked it or not. And before you ask, yes, I did have prior teaching experience (not English), in fact, it was my students at home who encouraged me to give it a go. Thankfully, my first 6 months in China were fantastic and I've discovered that I really love this job, hence the reason I am staying on until February. I think I have done fairly well but at the same time I know that there are areas in which I am lacking and need to improve on and as such, I have decided to do the TEFL International course when I finish this contract. Now that I know that I want to continue teaching ESL, I can justify the expense of the course. I am actually really looking forward to it!
guruengerish

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: TEFLA etc Reply with quote

Have to agree with Philbags here. Teaching can be a lot of fun, especially if you are interested in the subject.

I did the Cambridge course in Australia, and spread it over a few months as there's a lot of pressure with the one-month course. It gave me time to do some reading and learning which would not have been possible otherwise.

You've seen how it's done, now do the theory and enjoy it!

I just wish I could get back into it - but age is agin me. Sad
marklatham

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: inglish teeching Reply with quote

I wood lik to teech inglish in kambodee-wher shood I lern?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: