Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salaries Singapore
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BJWD

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the further information.

Could you please provide information about those 'established private schools'? Names would be lovely!
scrying

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: MOE applications Reply with quote

Has anyone applied through the MOE as a teacher? I have a friend who reccommended it over the lang. school route, and having had enough of language schools in Japan, I'd rather stick to public education if possible. I'll have had 4 years teaching experience, a TEFL qual,and a BA (psychology) by the time I am applying, would I have a realistic shot?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
k1w1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need a teaching qualification to teach in public schools here.

English language is not a highly sought-after ability like in other parts of Asia. There are no language assistants etc, as the teachers all speak English (albeit in a Singlish form...), so you need to be qualified to be in a public school. There is no ESL (as we know it) in public schools here and if there were, it would be probably be staffed by Singaporeans.
k1w1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: earlier comment from Everest:

"I have a pal currently in Singapore with a BA and a graduate diploma in education and he's making about 6K a month with a few privates thrown in. "

The key words here are "DIP ED". Without any teaching qualifications, you will not make good money (more than language schools) or be able to work in a school - just as those options would not be open to you in your own country.

The good thing about Singapore is that it is not like rest of Asia. The bad thing about Singapore (for ESL teachers) is that it is not like the rest of Asia.
smadden

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:49 am    Post subject: Job offers in Singapore Reply with quote

I disagree with the post regarding language schools asking for higher qualifications than the lady in question.

I applied for the British countil in late 2005 and received a telephone interview. I received an offer quite quickly and they required me to be there within 2 weeks of signing the contract. I have a BA, PGCE (MFL) and 1.5 years experience.

I decided that their offer was not that good in terms of salary and the number of contact hours required.

Before that offer, I was also offered an interview by Lorna Whiston languages schools, but decided that their conditions were appauling....required many contacts hours per week and possibly in different centres, with mediocre pay. I didn't attend the interview.

I therefore accepted my other offer on the NET scheme in Hong Kong which is where I find myself working now.

There can't be many high calibre candidates in Singapore if the British Council were willing to employ me! I would say go for it!

Good luck with the job hunting!
sheepshead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paper credentials are just that, paper. You and I along with a host of other teachers may well have great credentials on paper however, true credentials are in action. At least one school whose owner never advertises demands that teachers have the ability to teach the whole of classes held by that school; P1 through to the highest level taught at the school.

There are many schools advertising for teachers and as one person stated those schools who continuously advertise are not a good choice. I can not recount the amount of times I saw adverts for B.C.

You made valid points in your statements of salary and contact hours at two Singapore schools. These problems are across the whole Teaching Industry in Language Schools in Singapore.

Teachers with excellent credentials are generally employed in other countries where the pay and conditions are better than Singapore.

Your statement of being employed in Hong Kong verifies the point that better pastures are available over the next line of hills.

Yes, teachers with �credentials� may get employment in Singapore, however if they do their research before they commit themselves to a job, they may be very surprised that Singapore is not the �green� place of Utopia.
Toosey-Jay

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this any good???

Last edited by Toosey-Jay on Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
sheepshead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:55 am    Post subject: Salaries Singapore Reply with quote

You wrote:

I have been offered a monthly salary of 4400 Singapore dollars after tax by the MOE (inclusive of housing allowance etc) - is this any good???

I ask:

1: What is the monthly housing allowance paid by the MoE? Indeed, what is your annual tax burden?

2: What are your contact hours per week?

3: How many students in a class?

4: The ages of the students are?

5: Does the contract break �Section 10� of the Labour Act? (See Krakatoa: Singapore Illegal Contracts).

6: Are you paying tax on the housing allowance?

7: What is meant by the 'etc' after the �housing allowance�?

8: Why don�t you provide the full details of the offer? A personal check of the appropriate web site provides the answer that the offer may be marginally over what is normally paid to an expatriate teacher. Then again if another web page is read the reader may see that you could be duded. A further page will reveal that you are on the border line of �Professionals� who have special training. Special training includes �psychology� in education. If indeed you are being offered the minimum wage for �Professionals� then this may induce discontent with your peers. (It really is none of my business, but what the heck!)

My advice is? As I am running with a gut feeling which is seldom wrong, you should do your homework and check the web sites.

I wish you all the best in your endeavours.
Toosey-Jay

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the websites you refer to???
sheepshead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Salaries Singapore Reply with quote

Why don't you answer my questions? I will gladly teach you HOW to research the Internet after you provide the required answers.

I hope that you have not as yet signed on the dotted line.
Toosey-Jay

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheepshead

Last edited by Toosey-Jay on Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
sheepshead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Salaries Singapoe Reply with quote

What did you learn at University? Did they not teach / instruct you HOW to do research on the Internet?

You are not prepared to answer my questions. You waste time with your postings.
Toosey-Jay

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a strange person you are
sheepshead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject: Salaries Singapore Reply with quote

Is it really so �strange� for me to deal with facts and figures?

Maybe all judicial systems in every country through out the world are so wrong. Yes?

May be all Universities are duty bound to give you your Degree just for attending the University even if you learn nothing. Yes? May be there really is no need to learn how to do research at University as every thing will just be handed to you in your job. Yes? All of this will be done for you by some one else who also have NO research or analytical skills. Yes?

This forum is for people who have a genuine enquiry and we do not really need such posting of yours. No?

However, I do pray that you never teach my grandchildren.
Toosey-Jay

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, what a strange person you are...

goodbye
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: