Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Abu Dhabi Univeristy ADU in limbo again?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luck4me

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Abu Dhabi Univeristy ADU in limbo again? Reply with quote

Well students have been saying that management is now looking for a new director for the ELI. When asked why? They stated that things in the ELI are so hectic and that the students who failed have dropped out of the English program. Students were saying that the ELI has lost 60% of their client base. Wonder where those students went? Is it because the director worked at Al Nahtha as a KG teacher? Flowergrl or adu_advocate can you guys confirm this information? Anyone out there know any information? Are conditions that bad in the ELI AD/AA? Looks like things are going to get worse before they get better at the ELI.
Can�t ADU get it correct in filling the directors and duty directors shoes? How hard is it to get qualified and EFL experienced people over there to do the job right?
aka_flowergrl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Who knows, the winds change everyday at ADU Reply with quote

Well luck4me, I can�t confirm or deny the rumor your students have. It has been everyone�s experience that they (students) know more about ADU happenings more then the people who work there. But one thing is for sure, we need a better, more professional, level headed and mature director. I am sorry to say, that her 5 plus years at Al Nahda as a KG teacher didn�t give her that much needed experience we need, and you are right, we do need someone with ESL/EFL experience at the University level.
If they are hunting for a new director, someone at the PHD level plus the regional experience and the people soft skills, along the lines of 3-5 years experience would be a good start.
If not, then anyone of us could go after that job, we all have master degrees, some of us are about to finish our PHD�s and more university level experience then she has, not to mention the work forces she has hired in the past 8 months make one wonder what kind of qualification is she is looking for? Adu.advocate or spot any comments from AA?

Makes you think what is ADU really looking for, quality or just cheap labor?
luck4me

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:04 am    Post subject: You got it! Reply with quote

Cheap labor? Really? I would have never thought that! LOL Wink You got that one right!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that the reputation of this place is making it very difficult for them to get serious management professionals to either take the job or stay. After all, if you have good credentials, why would you take a job at a place where you know that upper management seems to be working against you.

As it is by now, the only good teachers that they get are newbies to the ME or the field that don't know how to check employers out. Once an institution digs itself into this deep a pit, it is very hard for them to get out.

VS
luck4me

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the latest news from the main campus of ADU for a change. As we all know by now, ADU will be moving to their new home in Khalifa City A in Aug. 2006. Which will leave the main building out at Maktaa bridge unoccupied. Well, after talking with a good friend at the Sorbonne University, he informed me that they will take over that building and it will become the new home of Sorbonne University in Abu Dhabi. I hope they don�t run into the same bad luck ADU has had. Good luck to them, but bad choice of location!
abufletcher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Who knows, the winds change everyday at ADU Reply with quote

aka_flowergrl wrote:
we all have master degrees, some of us are about to finish our PHD�s

Sorry to intrude on this post as I have no information on ADU, but I was curious what sorts of future plans expats in the Middle East working in their Ph.D.s have. Is the plan to stay in the Gulf and move into one of the Ph.D. required positions? Is the plan to return to a "real" university back home? Having just completed a Ph.D. myself I'm curious how others see the future.
younggeorge

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A number of folks at ZU have completed PhDs in recent years and all but one tat I know of have stayed on, some in the ELC (where a PhD isn't required but gets you a new title and a slight increase in salary), some moving into other departments/colleges where the PhD is a requirement.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not make a new thread on PhD's?

Few may read or see it hidden here in the ADU thread?

VS
aharbut

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject: ADU Reply with quote

I am now so confused about ADU - is it or is it not a decent place to work. I'm about to be offered and have done time in Qatar (which I loved!) but maybe Syria wld be a better place just now.

I'm not a Ph.D. but have 11 yrs. of good hard exp. I wld so hate to get
"stuck" there. Am very flexible and generally manage to always stay out of or on top of the usual goofiness of a place. Let's face it, all places and professions have it. My favorite places have had their loonies.

Please. Any comments wld be appreciated. Thanks.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on what I have read since the place opened, I would have to say that I would only take a job there if I was absolutely desperate... and perhaps not even then. There are places with quirks and then there are places that sound like nightmares.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: