Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EF International in London
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TEAM_PAPUA

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They pay on time
They are well-resourced
The students want to learn
The teachers and management are, for the most part, nice
It is very central

There are literally thousands of teachers right now working in "sweat-shop-schools" in Asia who would kill for most of the above. I sure did about 5 years ago...

Ok - but here in Asia I can afford to eat out every night, train at very well equiped gyms, ride a motorcyle (and not worry about the fuel prices) have incredible vacations 3 times a year, do very little workwise and sleep with beautiful women AND still save $500 per month Cool

I don't work for EF, but even on an EF salary life is good
thrifty

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="TEAM_PAPUA"]
Quote:
They pay on time
AND still save $500 per month Cool

Wow
TEAM_PAPUA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: * Reply with quote

I'm not sure why you felt the need to mis-quote me?

The $500 saved is AFTER I've spent the rest of my money 'filling my boots'...

Alternatively, I could take your job and work all month just to pay my rent and eat pot noodles in front of the TV

That is funny Laughing
dmb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
'm not sure why you felt the need to mis-quote me?
Go easy on Thrifty. Quoting isn't his strong point. Wink
Otterman Ollie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: YOU HAVE GOT TO BE BLOODY JOKİNG !!!!!!!! Reply with quote

Hang on DMB,twelve quid an hour is peanuts ,I earn more than that and I don't even have a celta .Is the tefl industry in such dire straits back home ?
dmb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you'll have to ask those in the UK ollie. i've believed for a while that Turkey is one of the best places to teach considering the cost of living compared to salaries- bot not ET Twisted Evil
btw I hope Molly doesn't use this board, she'll kill me for saying that.
thrifty

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: * Reply with quote

TEAM_PAPUA wrote:
I'm not sure why you felt the need to mis-quote me?

The $500 saved is AFTER I've spent the rest of my money 'filling my boots'...

Alternatively, I could take your job and work all month just to pay my rent and eat pot noodles in front of the TV

That is funny Laughing

I don't pay rent or eat pot noodles but I do watch TV.
thrifty

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmb wrote:
you'll have to ask those in the UK ollie. i've believed for a while that Turkey is one of the best places to teach considering the cost of living compared to salaries- bot not ET Twisted Evil
btw I hope Molly doesn't use this board, she'll kill me for saying that.

That is nothing to be positive about. It just means that TEFL salaries are so apalling almost everywhere. How long will Turkey remain one of the best places do you think? Shame that the largest employer of new to Turkey TEFLers is not amongst one of the best places to teach.
Will.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK
Summer Schools is grinding inexorably slowly down to a halt and the eflbirds are gathering at airports to board and fly to exotic homes elsewhere. Small provincial constabularies are being taken off shoplofting observation duties and the south coast pub landlords are counting their summer windfall.

What's the worst (semi-clean and proper if you don't mind) summer school story of the summer?

Is it as bad as the 12 year old Korean and the Henry Hoover?
or as familiar as the DoS with a drink problem and nobody to talk to
SueH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a shame I've got no new ones. I decided two years was enough, although they were pretty positive (and new) experiences and no major complaints. The rat in my school bag _was_ a bit off-putting. It had been poisoned, and after release into the wild was immediately pounced on by the cat. Must have been just for sport as the cat didn't seem to suffer any ill-effects..

Sorry, I thought a drink problem was part of the job-spec for DOSs?
As for shoplofting (what a lovely typo), it does seem to have been either fairly prevalent or done by incompetents as we always had someone we had to send home, in spite of all the warnings. And is it just me but are all French teenagers hypochondriacs - or to be fair - are their organisers?

I look forward to more explicit detail about the Hoover, or are you going to disappoint me and tell me to use my imagination, which might be a mistake. Was it one of those wet-and-dry hoovers?
Golightly

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the Turkish Awkward Squad are beginning to take over other message boards...
Yep, the money's crap here, unless you get into FE colleges, as I've done. Even so, it's still not untold riches. Rolling Eyes
that's why I'm hatching a plan to rifle through John and Liz Soars' bins, steal their banking details, and siphon off a few million from their joint account. Twisted Evil
I've just got to find which tax haven they're living in now. Evil or Very Mad
globetrotter123

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:02 am    Post subject: EF Hastings Exploitation First! Reply with quote

Having just completed a stint with EF Hastings, I thought I would give you the latest info on rates of pay and conditions.
380 GBP for working week of 50 hours (before tax)- which works out to 7.60 GPB per hour. Your working days starts at 8.30 and sometimes doesn't finish until 6.00 pm. On Saturdays the days are even longer as you take the students on excursions - you usually work a 12-13 hour day then.
Accommodation and meals are not provided so you need to find your own accommodation.
At the end of 3 weeks, most of the teachers still had not been paid.
As for the other conditions, I will post these in a separate post.

Would I recommend? NO Sad
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's apparent EF is pretty lame pretty much worldwide then!

A result of capitalist corporate operation style teaching, perhaps?
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was a student I worked for EF at summer camps in the south of England. They were okay. If you are just graduating or in need of some cash in the summer then EF could be a reasonable option.. It is not really a 50 hour week because if you are on activities then you only teach in the morning making 15 hours of teaching per week plus lots of beach volleyball and trips to the zoo.

They are also big in China and well established so they could be a doorway to setting up over there...
Mr. Bourenmouth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: EF Hastings Exploitation First! Reply with quote

globetrotter123 wrote:
Having just completed a stint with EF Hastings, I thought I would give you the latest info on rates of pay and conditions.
380 GBP for working week of 50 hours (before tax)- which works out to 7.60 GPB per hour. Your working days starts at 8.30 and sometimes doesn't finish until 6.00 pm. On Saturdays the days are even longer as you take the students on excursions - you usually work a 12-13 hour day then.
Accommodation and meals are not provided so you need to find your own accommodation.
At the end of 3 weeks, most of the teachers still had not been paid.
As for the other conditions, I will post these in a separate post.

Would I recommend? NO Sad

Surprised you took a job in the first place with the McDonalds of TEFL. I'm astonished anyone is willing to work for them; I'd be embarrassed to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: