Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Part-time Employment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Communist Smurf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 3:12 pm    Post subject: Part-time Employment Reply with quote

Does anyone here, that works in Russia, have or ever had a part-time job in addition to their normal employment as a teacher?

I've been looking at my budget and realized I won't be making enough money. So until I find a rich devushka to support my rock and roll life-style I've grown so accustomed to, I think I'll need to find an additional source of income.

C. Smurf

P.S. Are there any rich devushkas out there interested in a burnt-out college student?
Pushok

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in Moscow I did tons of work on-the-side. I worked for:

Sunny School
British Council

Also consider:
Language Link
BKC
The American Academy

There's also lots of scope for private 1-to-1s for which you can charge $30-�40 an hour if you're wearing a suit and tie.

I was pulling in $2500-$3000 a month when I was doing this - mind you I was teaching 40+ contact hours a week.
Zolushka

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Moscow Times is looking for a Business English teacher if you are interested. How's your Russian? Good enough to do some translation work? It might be easier and more profitable if you just teach a few private students.

By the way, Kent's masterlinks should help you to find a few more schools where you can teach English. I heard from the grapevine that a handful of places don't have enough teachers at the moment.

Good luck!
Communist Smurf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have a number of problems. First, my Russian is limited. Second, I have no teaching credentials. The position I'm taking is an internship. Upon completion of my contract I will be given a TEFL certification. Third, it states in my contract that I can't give private tutoring. By the way, is that normal (being told you can't give private tutoring)?

I applied for a part-time journalist position (English, of course) that I found through Kent's masterlinks as I have some experience in writting.

Although I've never taught it, I can speak Arabic with near-fluency. I can't imagine there's a big market for Arabic teachers outside the Chechen religious community (that's a joke).

Isn't prostitution legal in Russia (yes, also a joke)?

C. Smurf
Pushok

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The term 'contract' in Russia makes the word 'flexible' seem rigid - hope that makes sense! If your doing an internship, it sounds like you're going to Language Link (my old boss for 3 years). If you take on extra work, you simply don't tell your company - they'll never check and are unlikely to care too much anyway.

However, if it's your first teaching job, then I suspect that the hours you are given will feel like more than enough for the 1st six months.

Some of the schools I listed, will give part-time work only to experienced, qualified teachers.

Anyway, on an informal basis you could pick up some 1-to-1 conversation classes (but not for $30-$40 an hour - maybe $15ish)

Hope this helps.
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 10:50 am    Post subject: my 2 cents Reply with quote

Privyet Smurf:

Yeah ... it's fairly standard for schools to try to prevent their teachers from doing privates. The idea behind this prohibition is simple: they're afraid we might be 'stealing' paying clients out from under them.

You've already got some good tips and leads from others. Here's one more from me. Try this link. They offer between $20 and $30 per hour and you probably wouldn't raise any eyebrows by moonlighting with them a few hours each week.

http://bonne-int.com/index.php?lang=en&cont=for_efl_teachers

Good luck, Smurf. Razz
Zolushka

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arabic is taught in several language schools in Moscow. Try BKC-Globus and Dialect!
Communist Smurf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kent, thanks for the link. It looks like a good link for someone like me without a teaching cert.

Pushok, yeah, that's what I'm doing. Any comments suggestions specific to the internship?

Zolushka, I imagine I'd need to speak Russian in order to teach a class in Arabic, no?
rogan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
as I have some experience in writting.

Writing in Arabic?

Or bullsh*tt*ng in English?

Maybe, by now, you have realised that there are a few people here who know a damn sight more about lifee than you do.
Zolushka

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Communist Smurf,
Do you need your Russian language skills for teaching English in your classroom?
Communist Smurf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogan, do you measure one's "damn sight ... about lifee(sic)" in their capacity for typing errors?

Perhaps you could explain to me how I've learned this lesson. Even better, explain to me how it is that you've come to realize I've taken this for granted? Or do you think I make it a habbit to ask people without "a damn sight about lifee(sic)" for advice on how to survive in a foreign country?

Actually, nevermind. Grow up.
Pushok

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CS - I don't know a great deal about the internships. I did my TEFL cert with LL in 1997 in London and went to Russia January '98.

However, I know Rob Jensky quite well and we keep in touch and it's my understanding that he considers the internship to have more credence. My only concern with the internship would be that you don't receive a Trinity or Cambridge TEFL Cert at the end, which is the qualification most institutions require as a minimum.

However, LL will look after you as much as any other school - and more than many others.

Any more Qs about LL, please PM me and I'll be happy to help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: