Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Contracts in Dubai: (negotiable?)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teacher_Traveler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Contracts in Dubai: (negotiable?) Reply with quote

Hello all:

I have received great feed back from the forum here and would like to ask another question.

I have received an offer from a school in Dubai. I am currently an education consultant for Kaplan--having already taught for nine years in America--from 7th grade to Uni.
My question is: Is the salary negotiable? I am reluctant to take less than 10000AED, but alas, has been offered less. Can I negotiate or just simply pass?

Also, any feedback on IAS (international academic school) in Dubai?

Thanks.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the moderators should move this to the UAE board. But I can tell you that very few people are able to negotiate higher salaries in TEFL. We are dime a dozen.

You didn't say what your credentials are. BA? MA? K-12 State Teaching CERT? CELTA? Other TEFL CERT? Kaplan is a language school chain, isn't it? Don't they do mostly test preparation?

Nor did you mention the benefit package. Do they provide housing? furniture allowance? annual tickets?

VS
Manny2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice is that if you are reluctant to take less than 10,000 all other benefits not included then do not accept it, exchange rates are pretty bad right now so accept a low figure now and it could be even lower next week - unless you are American and this is not an issue?

If you are willing to walk away then do try to negotaite, I do know people who were not happy with what they were initially offered and did get more. You have nothing to lose really. However, agree with VS it does depend on your qualifications and experience ...but I also know that there are some good international schools out there offering good salaries.
Teacher_Traveler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They did mention "single share accommodations" --still don't understand fully what that means. Is it odd that we are not offered our own personal space? I certainly don't want to share an apartment with someone i don't know.

The contract also mentions that my job is not limitied to teaching but other duties as well. Here is the exact quote:3.
Quote:
Your responsibilities will include but not limited to the job description duties of a teacher

Can anyone tell me what that means?

I asked them about it but am unable to pin down any specifics. Does that mean painting the school? cleaning the school? answering phones? Is this the norm? I have taught in America--mostly--and in Japan and have never had any other duties besides my teaching responsibilities.

Much confusion--as my landlord in Japan used to say.

Any feedback will be appreciated. I really would like to go to Dubai, but I also know that clarity is key.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A number of the lower level jobs - especially in international schools and language schools - only provide shared apartments. Personally that was something that I would never have accepted. Your only option in this case would be to find out if you can get an allowance instead and find your own place. That said, rents are skyrocketing in many parts of the Gulf, Dubai especially and Abu Dhabi too, so it would take a chunk of the salary.

I've never heard of extra activities extending to repairs and maintenance, but one never knows. Laughing I suspect that they mean after school and weekend activities and such.

Did you do a search here for the school itself to see if there have been any comments pro or con on the place? Some of the so-called international schools are the pits...

VS
Teacher_Traveler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how to do a search here. I posted the name of the school in my original post. No one said anything about it.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at the top of the page in the white box, not on the yellow part, you will see the word 'search' with a little magnifying glass icon.

Go in and follow the instructions. There is a place where you restrict what board it searches - restrict it to the UAE board as there may be schools with a similar name in other countries.

There are so many of these schools that it may not be mentioned. Most teachers here in this section of Dave's are teaching university level as that is where the majority of ME EFL teaching jobs occur.

It is difficult to get much info on international schools here...

VS
stoth1972

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you speak to a Mr. Mansour, by any chance? I'm wondering if this is the school I'm thinking of.

Shared accommodation is common for schools who charge lower tuition (there are decent schools that can't afford the expat teachers) and those who require less in qualifications. I know qualified teachers who share flats/villas, and I know others who refuse. Many of these schools will not offer a housing allowing in exchange, and even if they do, it is almost never enough for even a studio in Bur Dubai.

Are you qualified? If so, keep looking for jobs. A better one should turn up.

Other responsibilities include playground duty, exam monitoring...not too much beyond that....usually.
Teacher_Traveler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I spoke with a Mr. Zeidan. I think I may pass on this offer. Yes, I am qualified. Also, the amount they are offering is less than 30,000 US dollars! Can one really live on that there?
stoth1972

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm....not the school i thought it was. To answer your question, you could live on $30,000 provided that your accommodation and utilities were taken care of. Is it a super high salary? No, but you could afford to pay your student loan at home, save a little for vacation, and enjoy weekly meals out. I leased a car on a similar salary (around 1200 dirhams/month at the time). Most teachers in the international schools and British/American schools would have a similar salary on the low end. The shared accommodation thing stinks. If that was a single flat, I would say take the job, it's not too bad. Ask about taking an allowance and finding a studio on your own. Where in Dubai is the school located?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: