Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

General Enquiry into the Nature of Morroco...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deicide

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:49 am    Post subject: General Enquiry into the Nature of Morroco... Reply with quote

Dear Morrocan Experts,

I am an American currently living in South Korea. I have a BA, a CELTA and several years teaching experience under my belt. I am bilingual German/English and can speak moderately fluent French. I would theoretically be interested in Rabat next year a place to teach but I have several questions. Is there a demand for German as well as English? What is the earning potential in Morroco, specifically Rabat? Can one earn, live AND save? How would one best go about swinging something over there? cheers, Deicide
Noureli

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been trying to pm you some info about Morocco but I do not know how to do it I guess. If you're looking to save the same money as you would save in Korea then it's not the country for you. However, if you're looking for a different culutral experience then yes Morocco is the country for you. I think with your qualifications and experience you would be able to obtain a lucarative contract there. Good luck.
Zahara

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I'm an expert, but I have taught in Morocco and have visited many times.

I can't say much about the market for German, but I would guess that there must be one at least for the tourist industry.

The earning potential in Morocco is unfortunately, not great. Without an MA, depending on where you end up, you would probably take home a maximum of $1000 a month. That is a very nice salary for a Moroccan, but for an American it would require an extremely restricted standard of living, particularly in Rabat, which is comparatively an expensive city. I won't say it is impossible to save, it depends on what kind of lifestyle your comfortable with. When I was in Morocco, I didn't save at all- but I did have a car, travel all over the country and have a fantastic time!

I will say that the most well-known language school is probably the American Language Center, which has a decent reputation, and locations throughout the country. You may also be able to find something with Amideast, a well known international NGO. I have seen many advertisements for other schools in Rabat, but I can't speak for them.

Good luck!
alaskanlute

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:06 am    Post subject: As for Fes. Reply with quote

One on one tutoring is the most 'lucrative.' It is incredibly hard to be in country and teaching legitimately, even if you are working for a legit NGO or school. It is a fantastic experience though. There are German language schools too! Moroccans are pretty versatile in language abilities. I was impressed! If you want more info on teaching in Fes... write. ~alaskanlute
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nolefan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your best bet for 'German' in Morocco would be in the city of Agadir. It was completely rebuilt in the mid80s by German cash and receives quite a number of business folks as well as tourists from Germany all year round. There might be some demand there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: