Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ecuador or Chile visa run
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Ecuador or Chile visa run Reply with quote

Those of you who know my situation know that I have to leave. Where's the closest border to Peru?

Also , how do I get there?

and how long do I have to stay?

What about Chile?
MELEE

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a map handy to see how far you are from either side. There is a boarder with Chile at Tacna. I was there in 1993!!!, maybe someone in the Chile board can give you more info. There were special taxis that did the boarder run taking you from the Tacna bus station to downtown Arica. I'm sure things have changed, but that there is still easy transport. Back then you only had to be in either country a couple of hours if that's all you wanted, you could go back into the other with a new tourist visa in hand.
In 1995, I was near the Ecuador/Peru boarder but there weren't any sizable cities and Ecuador still desputed that boarder at that time so depending on distance, Chile might be a better bet.
lozwich

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you going to travel? Just guessing here, but it might be easy and cheap to just grab a flight with TACA or LAN to wherever is cheapest and do it that way?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bus. Short on cash.
lozwich

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the Lonely Planet Thorntree. http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/categories.cfm?catid=22

They're always good for budget travel information.
nineisone

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl,

If you go north, the crossing at Macara, Ecuador is supposedly easier and safer than the one at Tumbes(at least according to all the guidebooks).

You can re-enter the same day, although if you decide to spend the night in Ecuador, it is best to take a bus an hour north to Machala. Safer and better hotel selection.

From Lima, it is roughly 8 hours by Bus to Trujillo, 6 hours from Trujillo to Sullana, and then a short taxi taxi or combi to the border.
tomteacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can second that the border crossing at Tumbes is pretty dangerous. I nearly got robbed and the border guard tried to scam we. They were b@stards to me.

Don't cross the border at Tumbes.
Justin Trullinger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mind the border at Tumbes- being scammed by border guards is standard on all Ecuadorian borders, though.

Agree that if you're staying the night, you'll want to go further past the border- border towns tend to be seedy and ugly...

Justin
denise

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nineisone wrote:

You can re-enter the same day

Are you certain? A colleague of mine got hassled at the border for trying to get back into Peru without staying xxx hours (48? 72?) in Ecuador, and that was with an "official" letter from the consulate in Lima and with a three-month visa supposedly waiting at the Peruvian consulate in Macara. The guards eventually relented for a small fee...

d
nineisone

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My information is all second hand(message boards and guidebooks).

I had the same question as I expect to be making the border hop myself and would prefer to come back to the Peru side and stay. Can't remember the message board(possibly LP thorntree) but someone had posted you could walk through and walk right back within the hour!

This could be faulty information, but also the stories you are hearing could be some of that Peru/Ecuador border corruption that appears to be rampant. Sounds like the guard may have given a little disinformation to persuade a little kickback from the important Gringo with the letter from the consulate.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for those of you who want to go to Ecuador via Piura, there are buses that leave at 930 am and 1pm, 4pm from Transportes Loja. The tickets are 12 soles and they take you through migrations. Much better than goign to Sullana and then taking a collectivo and safer too.
jooooooey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an older topic, but I don`t think anyone really answered it well. Is there any advantage or disadvantage of crossing at Chile versus Ecuador to renew a visa (from Lima)? It seems like most people do it at Ecuador, but a change of scenery would be nice.

I am looking for the cheapest and quickest way to do it, by bus. I crossed at Tumbes before, it wasn`t a big deal.

They don`t charge Americans an entry fee at the Chile border, do they (unless it`s via plane)?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jooooooey wrote:
This is an older topic, but I don`t think anyone really answered it well. Is there any advantage or disadvantage of crossing at Chile versus Ecuador to renew a visa (from Lima)? It seems like most people do it at Ecuador, but a change of scenery would be nice.

I am looking for the cheapest and quickest way to do it, by bus. I crossed at Tumbes before, it wasn`t a big deal.

They don`t charge Americans an entry fee at the Chile border, do they (unless it`s via plane)?

Supposedly they don't charge in Chile, but they might. Both are about the same distance. I went to Ecuador twice. If you're been to Ecuador, try Chile this time
Andrew Jordan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their is no charge at the Arica/Tacna corssing for either country. Its a very easy border hop. From Arequipa I did it in less than 1 day just a month ago. Ask around for prices, from Peru to Chile busses were less than half the price as a taxi. But from Chile to Peru busses and Taxis were the same price. I have done this crossing a lot, so if anyone needs more advice ask.

AJ
jooooooey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I was just thinking about this. The cost for not leaving Peru in time is 1 dollar a day.

The cost to take the bus from Peru to Ecuador and back, if you include the price of food, a hotel, taxis, and the 15 dollars I had to give the border guard to come back the same day, comes close to $100.

You might get lucky and they give you 6 months, they gave me three. Three months=$90 if you don`t have a tourist visa. It would have saved me 10 bucks to stay in Lima and then I wouldn`t have had to ride a bus for 3 days.

And even if they give you 6 months, that`s just $90 you save. I mean, unless you live close the the border or else are heading that way anyway, is there any reason to make these stupid border runs?

Like, would it make it more difficult to get a working visa if you have overstayed your tourist visa? All the border police knew what I was doing, apparently it`s a pretty common occurrance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: