Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

i just want an honest answer...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ha'anala

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 9:54 pm    Post subject: i just want an honest answer... Reply with quote

I've been trying to get an idea of whether I should go try to teach in the Czech republic (or anywhere in Europe), but I can't seem to find any kind of straight answer. One group of people says "it's great, there are plenty of jobs, you really need to go, etc..." then there's this other group saying "don't go, the market is flooded, you won't be able to live off what you make, etc...". So here is my situation...My husband and I, along with my brother and his family, are considering going to the Czech Republic to teach English. We currently live in the U.S. My husband is the only one with a degree. I have 4 years of college and my brother has 2. The three of us were planning to take either a CELTA or trinity TESOL course in Prague. Before we start selling off some of our possessions and spend thousands of dollars on classes, I would really like someone to tell me, in all honesty, is this a good idea? Will we be able to find work? None of us are looking to make a lot of money (or from what I've read we wouldn't be looking at the Czech Republic). We won't have any bills back home by the time we leave, so all we need is enough to live on. So that's it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
dduck

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's like getting married. It might be wonderful, it might be hellish. Some people do it, other not. The only person who can decide if it's right for you, is... you!

I suggest you think up some Plan B, in case it all goes pair-shaped.

Iain
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
denise

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with dduck. The more people you ask, the less straight the answers you're likely to get, as you've noticed. Personally, I loved Prague, and I would heartily recommend it. That said, however, travelling with a large group complicates things--will all of you find a job in the same city? Will all of you adjust to the culture? Do you all have similar interests, expectations, etc.? What will you do if part of your group loves it and part hates it?

I don't know what the job market will be like once the CR becomes part of the EU. There have been discussions about the issue on this forum, and some people say it'll get more difficult to find a job while others think it won't make a difference. I personally don't see how it could not make a difference--I envision non-EU citizens having a much more difficult time (assuming they want to work legally).

I'm sorry I can't give you a more straight answer than this. In your situation, I don't know if there is a simple yes/no answer--too many factors to consider.

d
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 10:25 am    Post subject: Should I ? Reply with quote

Seems to me that the question is a bit like "What should I have for breakfast ?"

You are an adult in a world of other adults. YOU HAVE TO DECIDE.

It is scary being grown-up sometimes, but there is no way back to childhood !
khmerhit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy You tell em Scot. Scot, how do I look in these sunglasses? do you think I should buy them? Cool I cant decide.
Gordon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In short, I say don't go. Sad
You're dragging 2 families, no one has teaching experience, and some of you have some education (2 years of college amounts to nothing).
There's not a lot going for you, sorry.

Taking kids to a foreign country is not a picnic and you better be prepared. From the sound of your post , you don't know what you are getting yourself into, otherwise you wouldn't be asking such general questions.

FYI I have my family with me so I understand what you're asking.
ha'anala

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denise-
Thank you for actually trying to be helpful and not condescending like the rest. We will be going over together (if we go) to take the classes, but we weren't intending on living together or anything. It would be nice if we could find work in the same city, but not necessary. Actually I think my husband and I are leaning more towards working in a smaller town, and my brother wants to stay in Prague. Most likely we will be going our separate ways once over there. I just thought it might be nice to have some family in the same country...even if they aren't within walking distance, they will be much closer than those back in the U.S.

Scot-
I've been reading through several posts on this site and this "What should I have for breakfast?" seems to be a favorite quote of yours. It is too bad that this kind of post doesn't really do any good for anybody, does it? Do you not think I know I will have to decide whether I go or not? Silly me, I thought this was a place where I could get some advice and information from people that had actually done this kind of work before. Have you never asked someone else's opinion when trying to make a difficult decision? Maybe someone with experience on the subject? You might not necessarily take that advice and do what they say, but you ask anyway don't you?

and to Gordon -
Actually, my husband does have a degree. He also has some teaching experience. The fact that I don't know what I'm getting myself into is precisely the reason why I'm posting here! I'm trying to figure out what I am getting in to before I go and just jump in.
Andare

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:51 am    Post subject: Teaching in CZ Reply with quote

I can't really comment on bringing a family along as I've never been in that situation. I do think that you and your husband would be able to find jobs pretty easily. You can make enough to live on here, especially as you don't need to worry about saving money. People sometimes assume that teaching in the Czech Republic is just a synonym for teaching in Prague, but there are plenty of other places to teach here.

As for the CELTA etc, it's a useful qualification to have and it will aid your teaching a lot BUT if you're only going to be in the game for a year or so I'm really not sure if it's worth the investment. There aren't many qualified teachers here in Liberec, though schools would obviously prefer to employ someone who knows their way around a classroom. Hope this is of some help to you - early morning classes and all that Sad
denise

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching in CZ Reply with quote

Andare wrote:
People sometimes assume that teaching in the Czech Republic is just a synonym for teaching in Prague

Oooops! I'm guilty of that, too. Let me revise my earlier post: I can heartily recommend the Czech Republic, even though I only taught in Prague. There are many lovely smaller cities and towns, each with the same beauty as Prague but none of the [insert negative attributes of Prague here--personally, I loved the city, so I have few negatives to insert].

d
ha'anala

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks andare, i think that's the first postive thing I've heard so far.

We aren't really looking for a one year "getaway"...as long as we like it there, we would like to stay as long as possible.

My husband and I are both Christians, and we are hoping to be able to convert some people while living there. I've read that a large portion of the population consider themselves atheists, and coming from the Bible belt of America is going to be a dramatic difference. From my experience, sometimes those that don't know much about church are much easier to lead to Christ than those that have been surrounded by it their whole lives.

I'm going to try to learn as much czech as I can in the next year or so. Hopefully I will know at least enough to get by when we get there.

Anyone know of a good czech language program?
schwirl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you serious??? Shocked

I take that you are going to keep your teaching and proselytising separate? Shocked

If not, I suggest you try one of the Christian schools in Prague, you'll probably find life here less problematic if do.
dduck

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwirl wrote:
Are you serious??? Shocked

I don't doubt it. One of the local teachers I met here is a JW. She uses her church's material in her classes, and whenever I talk to her she tries to interest me in her religion. I find this quite uncomfortable, especially considering she takes no interest in my current beliefs. It's like being talked down to. Sad

Iain
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ha'anala

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am serious. Are you not serious when it comes to your beliefs, whatever they may be? But no, I will not be using it in class. I've been looking into what several missionaries over there are doing, and it seems to be working well. They teach English at normal schools and do not use religious materials in class. They invite any students that are interested to come to extracurricular activities in their home or church. This gives the students a chance to practice their English and the missionaries a chance to share their beliefs.

PLEASE do not make the mistake of saying all Christians are alike. There is nothing worse than being stereotyped because someone had a bad experience with someone who called himself/herself a Christian. I've never talked down to anyone because of his or her beliefs. I've always enjoyed hearing about other religions and belief systems...as long as they were not condescending when it came to my belief in Christianity. The most I would say is that I trust that my beliefs are true and it is up to each individual to decide that for themselves.
Alex Shulgin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to be a missionary then be a missionary. If you want to be a teacher then be a teacher. Don't confuse the two. They are not the same job.
dduck

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't share Alex's attitude: I think it's possible to do two things at once. Plus I'm encouraged by your comments ha'anala. I found there are many narrow-minded bible bashers, they do smile and appear friendly but they only have time for their message. I personally think that all religions have a their core very similar sentiments. So, I respect anyone who actually embraces religion in all its forms.

Iain
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: