Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NOVA vs. JET?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
melisa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 9:28 pm    Post subject: NOVA vs. JET? Reply with quote

I have been offered employment with NOVA, but I'm debating whether or not to decline NOVA and wait for JET'S deadline in December? Should I just go w/ NOVA? What if I'm not selected for JET? I need to make a decision soon w/ NOVA...help!!
THANKS!
Melisa
[email protected]
Glenski

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melissa,

Are you saying that you haven't applied to JET yet? If so, that December deadline is not exactly the true picture of the application process. For JET, your application must be in by December, but you don't know if you passed the first round of inspection until Feb/March, when your next step (the interview) is scheduled. Then, you hear about acceptance or rejection from the program in a month or two, and if you are accepted, your flight leaves for Japan in July/August.

If you have an offer from NOVA right now, and you are satisfied with it, take it.
Sunpower

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accept the NOVA offer.

I don't think Nova is such a bad way to get into the country and get set up.

You may have a better experience working for NOVA than JET, depending on where and who you work with.

The salary at NOVA isn't far off either way and may end up even being more money than JET, if you're willing to put in the hours.

I guess I don't really know enough about you to make a strong suggestion either way.

But I would recommend that you consider accepting the NOVA offer.

Good luck!
Mosley

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked for both and JET is light years ahead of NOVA as far as a job/overseas experience goes. So here's my advice: If you are not under financial pressure, hang tough and try for JET. If you need a (relatively) well-paying job right away, go w/ NOVA. With NOVA, you don't get your first pay for a while, so take a couple grand over w/you. Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: