Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New jobs in libya_angloP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ozel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: New jobs in libya_angloP Reply with quote

Anybody ever heard of Anglo Petroleum? They seem to be looking for teachers in Libya.
PeterBar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are they offering ?

There are a couple of adverts offering �750/month + 250 in local currency.

Ridiculous when the going rate is closer to �2K/month
PeterBar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the ad

"1 year contract. �1,200 per month tax free, plus 4 return air fares to the UK plus accommodation plus food whilst at the dessert complexes plus 20 days annual leave"

In the dessert
kanterbrau

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently you are expected to work twenty-one days straight - no-one's idea of a good time - and then have seven days off - to do what exactly?

They also expect you to be " highly adaptable and flexible ", a phrase which always sets off alarm bells with me. If they then follow that with a comment on the importance of " a sense of humour ", then it really is time to head for the hills.

However, it might turn out to be more fun than its appears, as you are indeed expected to spend considerable amounts of time at their dessert ( sic ) camps.

Yummy.

Good Luck.
ozel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Sharzies Reply with quote

Hi

They had another job advertized a while back. 22 to 25 k Sterlingsters for 6 on and 3 off. A liitle bit better, they seem to be going backwards. You can do lots in 3 weeks.

Sense of humour..flexible...etc are all words that can be excepted if the price is right. It is however another thing to be all of those and work your butt off only to make someone else a lot of money. I can�t imagine why they don�t like to share.

Oz-miester
hadEnough

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving from place to place, as the job spec mentions, is not going to be much fun either. Having just got used to the ludicrous Libyan way in which even the most basic things are done at one centre, you'll be moved on to another place to start banging your head against a wall there instead.

That said, I have no experience of Anglo Petroleum so you may be lucky. But I doubt it.
kanterbrau

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't agree with you more, hadEnough. I had exactly that experience when I worked for Bell in Triploli, Benghazi and a couple of "one-camel towns" whose names have mercifully been blotted from my memory. Every centre had its own way doing things - or rather not doing things - and, furthermore, whenever they carried out a procedure it always appeared to be the very first time they had ever done it. It was all like some Kafkaesque game of musical chairs - with a strait-jacket as first prize.

Never again.

Good Luck.
Wigwam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The desert existence is quite easy especially if you are in the desert far from anywhere - you get into a routine and enjoy friendships you make - plus say a course you always wanted to study or catch up on some reading. The pay from Anglopetroleum is very poor as is the rotation. I would not advise you to take that particular one, see if they offer you something better
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: