Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ladies, visiting the area, what to wear?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Perpetual Traveller

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Ladies, visiting the area, what to wear? Reply with quote

Hi all,
Thought I would pop over to this forum for some friendly advice. Next month I am going to be travelling round Eastern Europe (mostly the big cities). I am quite tall for a female (5'9), blonde, pale skinned and blue eyed so I am guessing there is no way I am going to pass unnoticed, I am not fat but I am curvy. None of my clothing is indecent or provocative but I am likely to only have shorts and tank tops with me, is this crazy talk? Will I be harrassed beyond belief or if I am in the touristy areas will I likely be ok? Any advice greatly appreciated,

PT
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, shorts and tank tops will say that you are a tourist. Bring some pants and skirts with you as well
Perpetual Traveller

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't actually own any skirts and unfortunately no matter what I wear I am going to look like a tourist, as I mentioned I certainly don't look like I am Romanian. Razz What I am really looking to know is whether I will be subject to excessive harrassment dressed in tanks and shorts. Thanks again,

PT
Mike_2003

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

To be honest, if you are female and reasonably good-looking you will get some attention, although mostly just staring and perhaps the occasional sleazy comment (in Romanian, so if you don't know the language you won't be upset by it).

Especially with the summer coming, you'll see a lot of Romanian women in short skirts, low tops and high heels, so it won't be your clothes as such which make you stick out, and there are also plenty of tall blonde Romanian women too (although not quite enough to avoid the drawing of attention).

Men here (and perhaps everywhere Wink ) are of the 'she's wearing sexy clothes, she must be looking for a man/sex/some attention' ilk, although they are perhaps bolder about approaching such women than in the non-Latin countries.

Basically it boils down to whether or not you want the stares and the comments. If it bothers you, dress down, if not then wear whatever you want because you won't be offending any cultural sensibilities as you would in Islamic countries.

Good luck,
Mike
Perpetual Traveller

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thanks! As I said they aren't really provocative, not even skimpy, but they do give me bare arms and legs so I thought I should check. Very Happy

PT
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOU ARE A MEMBER OF SOME RELIGIOUS SECT THAT INSISTS THAT YOU WEAR CLOTHES LIKE THIS ?

Travellers should be flexıble and prepared to conform to local standards of what ıs decent.
Perpetual Traveller

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
YOU ARE A MEMBER OF SOME RELIGIOUS SECT THAT INSISTS THAT YOU WEAR CLOTHES LIKE THIS ?

Was that really necessary? I don't own much else and as I will be there at in the middle of summer I want to be comfortable, also I have a pretty small bag so not a lot of room for loads of 'options'.

scot47 wrote:
Travellers should be flexıble and prepared to conform to local standards of what ıs decent.

That would be why I'm asking. Rolling Eyes And as I have just been assured that what I have should be fine why don't you get your hand off it. Rolling Eyes

PT
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: decent Reply with quote

It seems that some of us need to be remınded that what ıs acceptable ın Calıfornıa ıs not necessarlıy acceptable everywhere.
Perpetual Traveller

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good, you just ignore everything I just said and continue to sit in judgement of someone you have never met. I am not proposing to tour Saudi Arabia in a boob tube and mini and as I just stated I wanted to be sure that what I had was acceptable THAT IS WHY I ASKED.

Get a life.

PT

P.S. I am not American
Bebsi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Boob-tubes and Abayas Reply with quote

PT, if you went to Saudi in a boob-tube, to say you'd get attention is putting it very mildly indeed. Don't mind Scot47, he has been in Saudi for far too long and can even tell a perfect 10 by the ankles!!!! Laughing

Seriously though, I can speak for Romania. You will be fine wearing what you propose. It is not remotely like any Gulf countries, and all the local girls here dress in summer as if they were off to the beach anyway. In some rural areas, a small number of local girls dress more traditionally, but even then they are in a minority, and if travelling around, you will not stand out because of your dress.

You will stand out if tall, blond-haired and blue eyed. However, this will not a problem. Bebsi is also tall, pale-skinned, (mostly formerly) blond-haired and blue-eyed, and doesn't remotely look Romanian, as they are mostly rather Latin looking. [OK, Bebsi is male and not what you might call "curvy"...except in the midriff area...and certainly not pretty Laughing] Western Europeans/N. Americans stand out here, and just by opening your mouth you will make that happen, but it's not a big deal. I live and run a business in Romania and absolutely stand out, but apart from some mild misconceptions in a business deal that as a westerner you must be naive (quickly disabused), it's just not an issue. As a tourist, it will be even less of an issue.

You will get attention from many Romanian males, no doubt about it, but it is the usual Latin macho nonsense that you can just ignore. It can be mildly annoying if you let it be, but nothing you shouldn't be able to handle, as it is all pretty harmless.

Yesterday for example, Mrs. B was in a taxi and the driver (late 40s, unshaven, tattooed, pot bellied and sweaty) started telling her about his difficulty in resisting all the advances he gets and how his wife doesn't understand him, how it's not his fault if he's such a hunk! She just laughed, told him she was happily married and it was all quite good natured. My point is, Romania is certainly not a dangerous country, and while they have a certain Latin machismo, Romanian men are generally very good natured, decent and not criminally inclined. They are far more likely to get into a road-rage incident if anything Evil or Very Mad , but not to harm a woman.

Wear what you feel like, it's Europe after all. Enjoy your summer here, and speaking for Romania it is an exquisitely beautiful country once you get out of Bucharest. PM me if you want more info.

Last edited by Bebsi on Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Perpetual Traveller

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much, that is exactly the kind of helpful/useful information I was hoping for. Very Happy

PT
CairoMig

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In summer in Eastern Europe girls where next to nothing, unless you want to stick out like a sore thumb don't dress like you're in Egypt. I'm not saying wear a bikini but you'll see in Romania and the like they hardly are shy when it comes to bearing all. Before I get sarky comments, believe me, girls are the last thing on my mind....
Bebsi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In summer in Eastern Europe girls where next to nothing, unless you want to stick out like a sore thumb don't dress like you're in Egypt. I'm not saying wear a bikini but you'll see in Romania and the like they hardly are shy when it comes to bearing all. Before I get sarky comments, believe me, girls are the last thing on my mind....

I hope that with English like this, you are not actually purporting to teach the language, here in Romania or elsewhere? Shocked

Now I'm beginning to understand why some Romanians who claim to be learning English, show less evidence of their linguistic success than should be the case, or than is indeed desirable!!!!
dracotei

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traveller,

I might be too late, but, just in case, here is what I have to say. I grew up in Romania and I am a woman. When my mother used to go to the local supermarket in Bucharest she would put on high heels, clean, pressed, nice outfits that complemeted her body type and make up. That was the norm. My mother wasn't special. Now, in a supermarket in the U.S. that would be the woman who would get all the looks. If you have lived in Italy, I would say, the two countries are very similar. Romanians like to imitate Italian fashion even if they don't have the money. If you lived in France, also, it is somewhat comparable. I only mention this because you said you are not American and those are the two countries I lived in. As far as sense of humor, we tend to be a lot like the French, sarcastic and cynical. You will see a lot of body language that reflects those attitudes. Don't let it bother you. Again, I blame communism for our sense of humor and attitude. Remeber, like in France, (I think I saw you are in Paris) customer service is not what Americans are used to. You may be dissapointed there. Just don't let it get to you. It gets to me and I speak the language. Mad People outside big cities are more friendly, just like in any other country. Be careful in and around train stations, again, just like in any other European city. Keep your money in your pockets; don't hang one of those tourist looking things around your neck or your waist. Finally, if you want to look like the rest of the women, look like you're going to hit the catwalk. I always feel underdressed when I go back home, but I know seeming and beeing are not the same. Most Romanians weren't in class the day they taught Plato, so appearance is important. Sorry if I rambled, but I just wanted to help.

Chris
Bebsi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, Romania is Italy with 50 years of communism thrown in!!

Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Romania All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: