Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

English UK accreditation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lolwhites

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: English UK accreditation Reply with quote

Now I know that the English UK accreditation scheme is supposed to be a guarantee for students looking for a course in Britain, but can anyone tell me what these standards actually mean in terms of:

1) Staff qualifications: Can a school be accredited if all staff have a CELTA or do a minimum number need the DELTA or an MA of some kind?

2) Facilities: Is there a minimum standard in terms of up to date materials, working audiovisuals etc?

3) Working conditions: Does it provide any assurance for people applying for work in an accredited school?

If I'm going to recommend that students here in France apply to an accredited school when they study English in the UK, I (and they) will need to know what it actually means.
Will.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Lol,
It the old story of 'belonging' to an organistaion that is able to call a school 'accredited'. Schools pay for this. Some have it and some don't think worth the money they are required to pay for it.

1) Staff qualifications: Can a school be accredited if all staff have a CELTA or do a minimum number need the DELTA or an MA of some kind?
The British Council has been pushing for this on a 50/50 below and above DELTA for at least 10 years. Take a look at their site

2) Facilities: Is there a minimum standard in terms of up to date materials, working audiovisuals etc?

Who can assess what materials the teachers have at home on their computers?

3) Working conditions: Does it provide any assurance for people applying for work in an accredited school?
It should be a guideline that a school has considered their public image...but this is no guarantee of impartial behaviour or fair and equitable treatment for employees.

If I'm going to recommend that students here in France apply to an accredited school when they study English in the UK, I (and they) will need to know what it actually means.

OISE run a good pre-bac session in English in Nottingham for French teenagers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: