Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I must live in Germany, and I must find a job

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaraLF

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: I must live in Germany, and I must find a job Reply with quote

Hi guys I've been reading postings for a few days and I'm getting mixed messages about how likely it is to find a job in Germany. I'm American, 24 yrs old, and I'll be finishing my BA in sociology this spring. I'm moving to Hamburg by October but maybe sooner if I can find a job. My boyfriend transfers to a school there so I know that is where I will live for a few years.

I don't speak any German but I was hoping to get a teaching job. At first I was going to get certified online but now I'm considering going to Prague for a month. Does anyone know what schools are inexpensive and accredited? Until I can learn German my job options are limited and I need to pay my student loans which could be as much as $300 a month (but I hope less). The cost of living in Germany is less than in the USA but if I'm only making 1000 E a month it just wouldn't be possible. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks a lot Smile
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but you've got a tough row to hoe.

The law in Germany has recently been tightened in favor of EU passport holders only. With only your very basic qualifications, you are unlikely to have much chance to get any legal work. Did you read Jason Conga's posts below? He's an American who had been living and working in Germany for three years, speaks the language, and won't be able to go back thanks to the new laws.

I don't know about working under the table in other professions, but it seems to me that you might have more luck trying to do au pair work or something than teaching. You might look around for agencies that place au pairs - though I imagine British applicants will be preferred, you might be more likely to find something legal.
Deicide

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: I must live in Germany, and I must find a job Reply with quote

SaraLF wrote:
Hi guys I've been reading postings for a few days and I'm getting mixed messages about how likely it is to find a job in Germany. I'm American, 24 yrs old, and I'll be finishing my BA in sociology this spring. I'm moving to Hamburg by October but maybe sooner if I can find a job. My boyfriend transfers to a school there so I know that is where I will live for a few years.

I don't speak any German but I was hoping to get a teaching job. At first I was going to get certified online but now I'm considering going to Prague for a month. Does anyone know what schools are inexpensive and accredited? Until I can learn German my job options are limited and I need to pay my student loans which could be as much as $300 a month (but I hope less). The cost of living in Germany is less than in the USA but if I'm only making 1000 E a month it just wouldn't be possible. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks a lot Smile

Listen to spiral and listen to me...I am bilngual English/German, worked for years as a freelance translator, as a certified EFL teacher and studied for 3 years at a German uni, but have an American passport and so I had to leave...lass, read this, I posted in on the Italy forum a while back:

I want to clarify this to everyone and finalize the point here so you all know the harsh, but fair truth.

My background is such, I lived on student visas in Europe for the past 8 years and am now in South Korea (I am an American). I left because I was broke and because of me being a North American I know the ins and outs of the EU deal. Bottom line is every year the EU is expanding and in particular consolidating, that means, every year North Americans without immediate British, Greek or Irish ancestry have basically zero chances of work within an EU country. Why? Well within the EU an employer who wants to hire you needs to prove to the respective country's labor board that you possess qualifications that no comparable EU citizen can. That is the first incentive for ESL employers to hire on Brits and Irish, it's easier for THEM. The other thing is that in some countries, like France, hiring a non EU actually costs the employer money in addition to the need to prove that you are better qualified than an EU person. What employer would go through that headache and financial loss just for you. There are some countries, which are more amenable to North Americans, Portugal and Germany come to mind but forget about Italy or France or Spain or just about any other long time member of the EU. Poland, although having joined recently will often sponsor visas, but that is becoming less and less so the case (you also earn chicken feed in the Eastern Block Countries). There really are only 2 ways around the conundrum. The easiest (especially if you are a young and attractive female) is marry an EU citizen, then you are set and have the same status as a Brit or Irishman. Or if you are lucky enough you can apply for passport from the respective country (only Greece, Ireland and GB) if your mother/father and/or grandmother/grandfather hails from one of these countries. Otherwise tough luck. As you may have read there really isn't any other way around it all. I am bilingual in German and English and speak fluent French but no chance, me being a bloody yank. There is one way, which would be a long shot, if you are Canadian. All members of British Common Wealth countries are entitled to a 2-year work visa up to the age of thirty for GB. You could theoretcally find someway to extend that to 5 years and after 5 years of work in the UK, you can apply for a British passport and then you have EU status, takes a bit longer but what the hell? I as an American am permanently screwed and it sucks since virtually all my close friends are some place in Europe and since I was broke and they pay for the flight decided to work in the sewer pit otherwise known as Korea. Why is the EU doing this...well ten years ago, it was hard but not nigh impossible to get work in an EU country but with consolidation comes economic protectionism...it all makes sense, you now how hard it is for foreigners to get work in the US? All but impossible...too bad I hate the states...only that there anyone can apply for a green card, in Europe they have no such thing. So that's basically the scoop, sucks but it is the truth. Marry an EU national, try a Scheinehe (german for seeming or pretend marriage), they check up on that but you never know...on a more positive note North Americans are preferred in Eastern Asia and your chances in Russia are the same as any Brit...sucks being American or Canadian don't it? I want to live and settle down in Europe but I am also realistic so next year I am looking at Russia and Japan...
Deicide

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: I must live in Germany, and I must find a job Reply with quote

SaraLF wrote:

Thanks a lot Smile

So yeah effectively, unless you have the right ancestry....you won't be seeing your boyfriend too often Wink
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U.S. citizens can still get work in Poland and the Czech Republic. This would allow you some access to your boyfriend,but neither country pays enough for you to pay back $300 monthly on your student loans.
Can you study too?
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, maybe that was not clear.
Can you get into some post-grad program at the same uni? You might really have better luck trying to prolong your education than trying to work in Germany. Really, �ou're likely to end up as an illegal barmaid or something.
Deicide

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Can you get into some post-grad program at the same uni? You might really have better luck trying to prolong your education than trying to work in Germany. Really, �ou're likely to end up as an illegal barmaid or something.

Word up G...the poor lass just doesn't get it...you're in for a long distance relationship, ain't no way around it...unless of course you have British, Irish or Greek Ancestry...or your boyfriend does and you marry him...you are outta luck...if you want to pay off loans forget about Europe, come to Korea, Taiwan or Japan...'nuff said...
sherrymole

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you do have the "right" ancestry (well, Irish, at least; not sure about British or Greek), once you send in your application and required forms to try to get dual citizenship, it'll take them about 18 months to process the application.
JZer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Who is going to pay for her living cost if she is a student? It would seem that she would be in the same boat either way.
Deicide

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: My point exactly... Reply with quote

bloody dream world....
tim hortons man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally speaking the easiest way to get into the EU is to teach English in Madrid, won't let you stay long term but you can work with out papers for a year or two.

If your really interested in living in Germany than check out toytowngermany.com the largest and pretty much the only active board dedicated to Germany. (most boards have a sub set for Germany but gets so few posts as to make it hardly worthwhile to post)
Deicide

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tim hortons man wrote:
Generally speaking the easiest way to get into the EU is to teach English in Madrid, won't let you stay long term but you can work with out papers for a year or two.

If your really interested in living in Germany than check out toytowngermany.com the largest and pretty much the only active board dedicated to Germany. (most boards have a sub set for Germany but gets so few posts as to make it hardly worthwhile to post)

Yes..you can work illegally..how is that going to help anyone?
ellanvannin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
U.S. citizens can still get work in Poland and the Czech Republic. This would allow you some access to your boyfriend,but neither country pays enough for you to pay back $300 monthly on your student loans.

You can easily make enough money in Poland to pay back $300 per month. The pay is much better than in the Czech Republic.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still puzzled by the use of the modal verb here : " I must.........."

Can the OP clarify her choice of modalities ?
Jetset

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even IF you were a German native, who spoke fluent German, the economy is not so hot right now, and you would probably have trouble finding a job.

Try teaching some private English conversation lessons however! Easy work and at 15euros an hour it pays better than your average under-the-table bitch job.

Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: