Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

License to teach esl in Mexico?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben Round de Bloc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:13 am    Post subject: FM-3 Reply with quote

The FM-3 work visa and the FM-3 non-work visa are two different things. The FM-3 non-work visa gives foreigners legal permission to live in Mexico for up to a year (renewable each year.) It costs the same more or less as an FM-3 work visa, but the holder can't legally work on a non-work FM-3. Many foreign retirees living in Mexico have this type of FM-3. Since FM-3 non-work visa holders must prove that they can support themselves independently while living in Mexico, the government/immigration sets the amount, but it can vary, depending on where one applies for the visa. For the longest time, the amount was USD$900/month in most places, but that amount may have gone up. If posters on Mexico.connect say it has gone up to USD$1,000/month, it probably has, since they tend to know their factual stuff about Mexico on that forum. The process to get an FM-3 non-work visa includes providing bank statements for 3 consecutive months showing total deposits each month of at least the minimum required amount of money. The FM-3 non-work visa is nothing new. It's been around for a long time, and it has nothing to do with the FM-3 work visa or with foreign EFL teachers wanting to work legally in Mexico.

It is interesting that the government believes a foreigner needs at least USD$900/month (or $1,000 if it's generally gone up to that amount recently) to live in Mexico, yet most foreign EFL teachers don't manage to earn near that amount.

Best wishes!
Smile
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the clear information about this. I guess I can still dream of moving back to Mexico next year then.
Even if I won't make the $1000 a month requirement.
Cheers
Some waygug-in
Brenda

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:26 pm    Post subject: Minimum salary requirement? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm sorry, where did you see this? I got my FM3 last year and there was no such salary minimum requirement for me to be eligible for the work permit. I wasn't earning 1000 USD/month either.
Ben Round de Bloc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 8:30 pm    Post subject: Trying again Reply with quote

Brenda,
An FM-3 work visa and and FM-3 non-work visa are two different things. If you are working in Mexico as a foreigner, you don't have to be concerned about an FM-3 non-work visa. It's only for foreigners who aren't working and are living here for extended periods of time. There's a minimum income requirement for an FM-3 non-work visa, but there is no income requirement for an FM-3 work visa.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 9:56 pm    Post subject: Work permits Mexico Reply with quote

I've never heard of the minimum income range on an FM3 either...do post a url of where you got that info, if it's online somewhere.

(side note)
Hey y'all! Over a year I spend hanging out at the other end of Dave's and I just NOW discover this forum about my neck of the jungle.

Dan, Brenda, Tim, nice to see you all.

Guy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Paul G

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Work permits Mexico Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
Hey y'all! Over a year I spend hanging out at the other end of Dave's and I just NOW discover this forum about my neck of the jungle.

Jeez- leave the door unlocked and you never know who's gonna wander in. Wink
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 10:49 pm    Post subject: Paul... Reply with quote

Mauh...

Sorry, I forgot, you're moderating this playground, verdad?

Saludos to you. I also notice that you moderate, well, all these forums. what's involved in moderating? I wouldn't be opposed to moderating one or two, say this one and the Latin American forum, if it takes work off your hands.

Guy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Paul G

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two posts and already you want my job.........

I have no say about who the moderators are. If you're interested, write to Dave ([email protected]) and ask him. (If you need a recommendation, let me know. I'll throw in a good word for you.)

Of course, the big question on everyone's mind is going to be, "Has Guy rehabilitated himself since his infamous 'distance learning' post?"

Saludos y suerte
Brenda

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

......infamous "distance learning" post?

(chuckle) Did I miss something good here?

Guy, nice to have you join us here! I didn't realize I'd stumbled upon it before you!

Bienvenida!
The Old Gringo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy, here is some info Re your request about nonworking FM-3s.

http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/visa.html

Sorry to steal your thunder, Tim.

TOG
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 2:38 pm    Post subject: My distance learning post Reply with quote

Is Jeff in this forum? My distance learning post was something to the tune of

"all distance TEFL course are garbage"...don't waste your time. I still haven't found a good one, though I've seen mixed online onsite that are acceptable.

That comment drew some fire for awhile. It filled my email box with mostly ICAL people all worried that they wouldn't find jobs later. I think at the time I underestimated how many people are reading this forum.

Thanks for the link Old Gringo...me lo checo muy pronto
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 2:43 pm    Post subject: Proof of income Reply with quote

Ah, now I see...the nonworking FM3 or "non-working resident status" needs a minimum monthly income...but that income MUST come from outside Mexico and be proven. That solves the confusion.

Although somewhere earlier here, a post was made suggesting that you needed to have a Mexican job making minimum 10,000 pesos to get this VISA. A reply stated that you couldn't get 10,000 pesos a month anywhere in Mexico. That's not true. There are quite a few jobs, most in Mexico City, where 10,000 is easily attainable, even without any documentation at all. (note to eavesdropping authorities - that is not an invitation to enter Mexico illegally)

Guy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: