Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Iraqi Conflict

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NMB

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 8:18 pm    Post subject: Iraqi Conflict Reply with quote

Is it a legitimate reason for an American to avoid Turkey, particularly Istanbul?
J.B. Clamence

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I don't think there is any reason why an American should feel afraid to live in Istanbul. Istanbul is one of the safest big cities I've ever been to. Turks may say otherwise, but that's only because they're comparing Istanbul to their villages and hometowns--they have no idea what we in the west consider a "dangerous city", and if they did it would probably blow their mind.

As far as the potential Iraqi conflict is concerned, the only way I can see this effecting Americans is possibly in the economic sphere. The last Iraqi conflict 12 years ago severely damaged the Turkish economy by cutting off billions of dollars in trade. If there is another war, the already unstable currency could go through higher inflation than normal, which could possibly put a serious dent in your paycheck.

Turkey is NOT a hotbed of anti-American sentiment. Having said that, once in a while you'll come across someone with a chip on their shoulder who just loves to criticize America and the west (although their own country is "perfect"), but they are just harmless dorks--don't worry about them. Nothing is going to happen to you.
SK

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkey is one the US' primary allies, right up there with Israel. From what i understand, Istanbul is also quite a Westernized city...... I wouldn't worry about any anti-american sentiment.
boxcarwilly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently living and teaching in Istanbul. I teach at International House - Suadiye. In a phrase, "great school in a great town". As an American, I can say that this town is safe and secure and very welcoming. Some of the world's best food is served here. No one here wants a war as it would undoubtedly have a negative effect on the economy, and unemployment and underemployment are already high. Istanbul is a very modern European city and anything can be obtained here. Speaking from current personal experience, there is no reason to avoid Turkey.
stural

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 9:44 pm    Post subject: Istanbul as an American Reply with quote

We just spent Xmas in Turkey (Husband is Turkish) and we had such a great time, we were sorry we weren't living there. I always have felt like I was treated like royalty, except by a few wierdos, but there's wierdos everywhere you'll go.

stural
NMB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 2:37 am    Post subject: Iraqi Conflict Reply with quote

What is the news in Turkey concerning the possible war? What we are hearing in the States is that war will devastate Turkey's already shaky economy and that the UN may not defend Turkey from an attack by Iraq.

Is this a [i]very bad time [/i]to come to Turkey??? Or, has the American media (sensationalizing, as usual) exaggerated Turkey's fragility?
J.B. Clamence

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Iraqi Conflict Reply with quote

NMB wrote:
What we are hearing in the States is that war will devastate Turkey's already shaky economy and that the UN may not defend Turkey from an attack by Iraq.

The war will effect Turkey's economy in a negative way. However, this time the Turkish government is getting huge payoffs from the US to offset the cost in economic instability for letting the US use its air base (and possibly land borders) to attack Iraq, so I'm not sure how bad it will be this time, but it could be bad, so brace yourself.

As for Turkey being undefended, that's absurd. Turkey is a NATO country. If it is attacked by a non-NATO country (like Iraq), all NATO countries are required by the NATO treaty to defend it. Whether or not the UN defends Turkey in the event of war, it's irrelevant -- someone will. And even if no one defended Turkey; Turkey has the second largest army in NATO (only the US Army is bigger). Not only that, but many military experts have commented that the Turkish military is much more powerful than it seems because it can be used more easily than western armies can. If one US soldier dies, people start screaming to "bring the troops home", but in combat, the Turkish Army has the capability to take massive casualties without losing its political or domestic support. I'm sure that the Turkish military could defend itself against Iraq just fine, especially at a time when Iraq is getting annihilated by the US!

Don't worry man, you won't see Iraqi Republican Guards marching down Istiklal Caddesi. Very Happy
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 11:17 am    Post subject: Turkey - as safe as anywhere Reply with quote

Turkey is as safe as anywhere. Surely the lesson of recent events is that safety anywhere is an illusion !
Klink

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 1:11 am    Post subject: Is it safe to come to Izmir to work?? Reply with quote

Hello all. I have recently been offered a very good position at a school in Izmir. I too am concerned about the safety of living in a country through which the US plans to mount a war against Iraq (these are crazy times). But I am assured that the gulf war had little influence on those living on the western side of Turkey (which may or may not translate to mean the smae thing now). I too am concerned about safety and would like to hear updates and further opinions from anyone out there who has an opinion on whether moving to Izmir is a safe option in the next five months. Is it worth the gamble (good job-by any standards, versus personal safety). Cheers. happy days to all.
J.B. Clamence

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: Is it safe to come to Izmir to work?? Reply with quote

Klink wrote:
Is it worth the gamble (good job-by any standards, versus personal safety).

Since you have chosen to ignore all of the advice posted above, let me put it too you like this: If you think it's a realistic possibility that the Iraqi army will defeat the combined U.S. and Turkish forces in Eastern Turkey and march all the way through Turkey (abandoning their own country to the US forces attacking from the south) to lay waste to the west coast of Turkey, then you should avoid Izmir. If, however, you find this that possiblility a bit absurd (like anyone who has any common sense), then don't worry. It's up to you really, isn't it?
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 10:23 am    Post subject: Turkey safe ? Reply with quote

Well it is unlikely that the Iraqi military will march on Ankara. But there is a reason to worry about individual terrorist acts. I think the danger of these is much exaggerated. You are more likely to be killed in a car crash. Turkey is a safer place than most western countries. I do not see many news reports of crazed gunmen and snipers picking off random targets in Turkey. Guess where you have to go to to experience that ?
Stephen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say the danger would more likely come in a financial form than in a physical one. A war in Iraq could be very bad news for the Turkish economy, whether in the east or west of Turkey. As you may have noticed the Turkish economy is less than stable as it is.

Stephen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: