Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Corruption in India, "spinster" & other lifest
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
writpetition

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:44 am    Post subject: True...but Reply with quote

All the experiences recounted here are true and they do happen often enough to be a cause for concern. Some, unfortunately, happen more often than others.

I am an Indian and I am ashamed that things such as these happen in the country of my birth.

I know it's nothing and menas nothing but I would like to apologize on behalf of all Indians.

As someone here rightly pointed out, there are problems in all countries. It's unfortunate, however, that India is beset with the kind mentioned here.

Reasons? I can't really say but I do believe that for a country that enjoys such an old culture and spiritual richness, the reason lies somewhere in its history. For centuries Inida has been repeatedly invaded, looted and its population brutalized by invaders.

Perhaps, some of those invasions/invaders took away not just India's wealth but also its humaneness. It's a thought that I will research more on and share my findings with you - if there's anything of significance.

My sincere apologies to all once again!
TDL999

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent 6 weeks in India last year and am going back for 4 months next year cos it was sooooo great. I'm female & obviously western (pale etc) and I got nothing but respect. There were some pervs on the beaches in Goa, but only on a Sunday and they were easily ignored. Nothing worse than when women go topless on Turkish beaches!! (Which I never do by the way!!) .

I walked around Mumbai on my own and got a couple of kiss-kiss noises but no hassle. However I did see western girls getting hassled, but they were usually wearing mini-skirts/shorts up to their arses and tiny t-shirts! If not a bikini top. You'd get hassle in London wearing the little they did, let along India. And they always seem to be really surprised that they were getting comments! Well derr!! Went to all man drinking dens and was treated like a princess. Highly recommended if you want to talk to locals instead of other travellers! And my god, can some Indian guys drink. I saw one with a bottle of whiskey with a half bottle of vodka as a mixer!!!! And he managed to walk out unaided afterwards!!

Up north, again I got nothing but respect. Sales hassle at stalls/shops etc, but actually less than in Turkey. No one tried physically dragging me into their shops!! And the men seem to go out of their way to avoid touching me or getting too close to me!

Oh dear, is it just me and should I be insulted!!!?? LOL

The majority of Indian men's attitude to Indian woman wasn't very good, it was either saints or sinners. But I think the road to equality is a slow process, and its starting to get there.

id meet some really independent Indian women, but that was in a brothel in Mumbai I had a drink in by mistake. HONEST!!
kuberkat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that awful Western habit that can be so annoying to the Indian youth: I am extreeeeemely interested in Indian culture and tradition.

Me: I there an Ayurvedic remedy for this?
Indian friends: Ayurveda? Pah! Try antibiotics!

Though I haven't been to India (and am officially lurking on this board while considering it!) I have lived in the Arabian Gulf for a while, where a large chunk of the workforce is brought in from India. As a thritysomething single, I have had the gamut of reponses from people from all over India. It would be silly to generalize: I have deep friendships with several Indians who never cease to amaze me. Labourers do sometimes comment when I pass, but there is no physical harrassment. Where I have had real problems, is with middle managers, who have an ego need to assert their authority. This is where that nasty misconception that all Western women are alcoholic sluts kicks in.

Me: Table for one, please. OR: Single room, please.
Middle Manager: No, we don't.
Me: Don't have a table? OR: Don't have a room?
Middle Manager: We don't serve alcholhol, marram. Or: We don't allow visitors.

Or, my personal favourite, when questioning the bill/ pointing out that the tailor has made my summer shirt out of suit fabric: This is not a bar, marram.

These are the times when it takes superhuman patience to remember that how I respond to this outrage will confirm or break the stereotype. And no matter what the youth say, I do believe in the law of karma.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> India All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: