Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Zhuhai-bound in 72 hours!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kai6854

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 1:56 am    Post subject: Zhuhai-bound in 72 hours! Reply with quote

I'm heading to beautiful Zhuhai on Tuesday the 30th of September to begin my ESL experience. I am looking forward to contributing my skills as a teacher and my overall life experiences to share my love of my native language. I'd like to thank all those who patiently guided me through the many questions I had concerning visas and the choice of schools who offered me a position. Your knowledge and expertise guided me to make the right decisions for my first experience.

While I am not a stranger to travel, I am a stranger to traveling as a civilian having spent many years traveling the globe in the US Navy. As such, since I will be arriving in Hong Kong on the evening of October 1, I realize that day begins the national holiday and I not only must exercise caution while traveling (something I normally do living in the Big Apple anyway) but, I need to be able to get from Hong Kong to the Macau Ferry Terminal to take the ferry to Macau via the fastest means. I am also a bit concerned about whether the offices will be open for me to obtain my tourist visa either that evening or the following day in Macau. I've sent email to my point of contact at TPR but to date, have not received a reply.

So, my last request from New York City (I know I'll have more when I "get my feet wet" in Zhuhai) is asking for some feedback regarding your knowledge of what I can expect once I land in Hong Kong and to reach my final destination with tourist visa in hand!

Thanks!!! Laughing
Kurochan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 12:13 am    Post subject: Too late! Reply with quote

Whoa, dude! Bad timing! You missed the orgy! Wink

http://www.japantoday.com/e/?content=news&cat=1&id=273986
fat_chris

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The comments immediately after the story were a hoot.
Kai6854

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Too late! Reply with quote

Kurochan wrote:
Whoa, dude! Bad timing! You missed the orgy! Wink

http://www.japantoday.com/e/?content=news&cat=1&id=273986

Now anyone with some information I can actually use care to respond? Twisted Evil
fat_chris

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question

That's definitely some info you can use. Wink
Roger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kai,
I repeat my info I gave you in PMs.

You can take a ferry to Macau direct from HK Airport (new).

If you head into downtown HK, you must aqrrive there before ten a.m., hand in your visa application, together with a photograph, and return by 6 p.m. to pick up your passport with a visa.
THis is how PHOENIX works.
My suspicion is that you have to spend a night in HK, and trek to the travel agent the next day.
Alternately, you can apply for a tourist visa in Macau.

Some of thetravel agents take more than one day to obtain your visa. Faster delivery costs extra.

You can try the Visa Section of the China Government in HK, I think it is in Harbour Rd., CHINA RESOURCES BUILDING, Wanchai. Same-day delivery is at leat 100 HK dollars more expensive. There always are long queues!
Kai6854

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:54 pm    Post subject: Fastest/Best Mode of transportation to Macau Ferry Terminal Reply with quote

Does anyone know if a taxi is the fastest mode of transportation from Hong Kong airport to the Macau Ferry Terminal? I am most concerned about this matter. I have already obtained the pertinent information about the visa office in Macau. A staff member is meeting me in Macau and not the airport where I really needed the help since I will have 3 pieces of luggage. In New York, the fastest means of transportation are sometimes the subways. I just want to be able to make it to Macau before 11:30pm if possible and I am already prepared to spend the night in Macau if my timing is off.
Roger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, the train 9superfast, and cheaper at 100 dollars or so). Terminus is some 800 meters from the Macau ferry pier.
Macau-bound ferries go 24 hours a day1
Kai6854

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in spite of the fact that I had two pieces of luggage and a carryon I made it to Hong Kong where I took the express train to Hong Kong central. From there I took a taxi to the Macau Ferry Terminal as the airport express train to Macau terminates at 2030.

I finally disembarked from the ferry at 00:41 hour. I was the last person to come through the gate and the terminal was very empty. My Foreign Manager was standing there as I came around the partition!!! I have never been so happy to see someone as I was to see him! I was exhausted at this point but did not suffer jet lag...we spent the night in Macau in order for me to obtain my tourist visa before crossing the border to Zhuhai. If anyone ever goes to Macau and if it is convenient, I highly recommend staying at the Kingsway Hotel. I had a suite and it was lovely, western and comfortable.

So, my advice to any females who are considering coming to China PACK LIGHT!!!! Although in my estimation I did pack light, my luggage was a little heavy in and of itself. It was pure torture for me and a test of character....in my eyes I've clearly passed with flying colors!!

By the way American TPR English School is a great school and the staff are more than helpful. Laughing
Roger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grrrrreattttttt! So advice given was not advice lost!
Now just one question:
Where in Macau did you get your Chinese tourist visa?
Many, many would appreciate your reply! (we are tired of going to Hong Kong).
Wolf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger wrote:
Now just one question:

Well, I for one know you can get visas of all sorts from that big giant vast huge Consulate General the PRC has just down the street from the ferry terminal. I got a Z visa for HK $150 (had all the docs.) Everyone else there that day were looking for tourist ones. I can't remember prices but I was sure they weren't bad. I was thinking the whole time: "Okay, I thought this was going to be pricier."

That's one place.
Kai6854

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger wrote:
Now just one question:

I obtained my tourist visa at the border of Macau/Zhuhai. There is a travel agent's office to the left before you pass through immigration into Zhuhai.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: