Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

With the "big" schools... can you choose where you

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iekika808

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 1:08 am    Post subject: With the "big" schools... can you choose where you Reply with quote

I'm planning on moving to Japan in April and would like to live in the Tokyo area. I have interviews with Nova, Geos, and Aeon coming up, but after reading some of these postings I'm wondering: do ANY of these schools (or those that recruit abroad) let you choose where you will be going?

Thanks.
Laughing
Glenski

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 2:40 am    Post subject: news from GEOS Reply with quote

From the GEOS web site FAQ:
Do I have any choice as to where I will be placed in Japan?
We have 450 schools throughout Japan, therefore, there are many adventures available to you. Although we cannot guarantee placement, we will do our best to accommodate your wishes. Placement depends upon your previous experience, your educational background, school availability, teacher�s availability, schools� needs, etc. Of course, after one year, you may apply for a transfer to another area in Japan.
Sunpower

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nova has a very high turn over rate and, as you may know, hundreds of schools all over Japan.

When I worked for Nova in Tokyo, most teachers were given transfers to Nova schools that they wanted to teach at. You need to successfully complete your probationary period (3 months?) first and probably be in good standing with management. You also need to provide a reason (for example, you'd like to work closer to where you live.).

I've seen "renegage" Nova teachers transferred to schools further away from where they live as a punishment for not being easy to mange. Several of my friends were tranferred to schools that were over an hour away from their apartments. I imagine that the pactice still occurs when Nova would like a teacher to quit but won't fire them outright.

I remember working with a woman at Nova who requested a transfer to Okinawa. She was told the list of requests for transfers to Okinawa was so long that it was unlikely that she would be given the transfer.

Yrs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: