Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working in Romania.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why should they give a job teaching Spanish to you when there are Romanians who can do that ? The same question applies to English. The myth of the "native speaker teacher" which was very strong post-1989 has begun to lose its credibility in Romania and in many of the neighbouring countries.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, that applies to all countries, yet somehow we still manage to keep our jobs.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 6:18 am    Post subject: Romania Reply with quote

In this field there is a temptation to build castles in the air. Do not count on being able to get a job in Romania !

There are huge tracts of the Planet Earth where there are simply no native-speaker EFL teachers !
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are native speakers in Romania, I can point you to a few UK programmes. I'm applying in January for some of them. I'll let you know when I get accepted, so there'll be another native speaker there.

Sharing Our Language.
http://www.sol.org.uk
It's been going on for years.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some, working in volunteer-type positions. If you are happy to work for $150 a month, fine.

Some of us have higher aspirations. Some of us have other mouths to feed.

If you are spending your life with vows of chastity and poverty that is okay by me. Just do not expect the rest of the world to look on things the same way !
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't expect everyone to live like me. Diversity makes the world go around. I think it would be god to volunteer for a bit. I think it could change a person.
Chris

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scot47..

Always the pessimist.. You seem to be an expert on all the current situations in all the different countries of the world. Amazing! I wish I had your knowledge..

Naturegirl, honestly, just follow your heart. It looks like you're doing that anyway, so no need for me to tell you..

I remember the PM Scot47 sent to me after revealing how much I earned at a university job in Poland ($300 for 11clock hrs a wk). To paraphrase, come to Saudi Arabia and make real money.. Well, as I am a WOMAN, it would be extremely difficult to do that without a husband... And I like driving, thank you very much...

It really seems as though Scot is not in this game for anything BUT the money.. Yes, I know you have a family and all that to feed. But remember, not everyone is like you..

I think Naturegirl has the right attitude and will do what she wants to do... She knows what she's getting into..

Oh, and as a side note, a friend of mine just left for Kosovo today for a job in an American high school.. Actually, the pay is extremely high--$1000 + accom + airfare..
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:24 am    Post subject: know-all ? me ? yes ! Reply with quote

Before my current spell in Saudi I was working with the EU Tempus Programme to modernise East European university departments of Philology.

That is how I happen to know something about Romania.

I have been in this racket for a LONG TIME.

And sister, if you think a thousand bucks a month is a lot of money we are living on diferent planets.
Chris

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, $1000 is NOT a lot of money in the US, EU (current), Japan, and a lot of other places. BUT, in Eastern Europe, it IS a lot of money.. I make a LOT more money in Poland than most of the people I know here. I live very comfortably. But I'm probably moving to Germany or Japan after this year because I would like to have more cash.. But I know I would really enjoy Japan as much as Poland.
Chris

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, would NOT like Japan as much as Poland....
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scot47,
I'm interested to know about this long name: EU Tempus Programme to modernise East European university departments of Philology. What is it in layman's terms?

Also, some of us aren't in it for the money. We like teaching, don't have to live like royality, want to see less travelled parts of the world, and I'm sure there are other reasons as well.

Chris,
I agree that Scot47 seems to have a pessismistic attitude. Maybe a nicer term would be realistic, as my Dad would say. I tend to see the brighter side of things.

Scot47, In my opinion, 1000USD is a lot of money in Eastern Europe where lots of people live on less than 100USD a month.

Either way, I will follow my heart. And don't get me wrong, I appreciate the realistic and optimist views of an issue. i think it keeps me well-rounded. I also think that the older you get, the more set you are in your ideas and think that things are now what they used to be in the past, maybe that describes someone we know . . . Wink Rolling Eyes
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:38 am    Post subject: Tempus Reply with quote

TEMPUS was a programme of aid to universities in Eastern Europe put together by the EU. It enabled universities in Western and Eastern Europe to cooperate in areas of mutual interst. One of these was to review and modernise provision for Foreign Language Teaching in the target countries.

I was involved in part of the programme. "Layman". What do you mean by that ? Someone who is not a teacher ? Do you suppose that becasue we are teachers we should know nothing about what happens outside the classroom ? For anyone in Europe - West or East, the work of the EU is of some importance - even if you do not particularly like the bureaucrats of Brussels.

Last edited by scot47 on Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it strange that there is such a trend in education for "volunteer" positions. I do not see lawyers, doctors or airline pilots lining up to do their jobs for nothing.

Why should teachers sell their labour for less than the going rate ?
Mike_2003

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess because people who are inclined towards the teaching profession are those who are less motivated by financial advancement and more by a willingness or inherent perversion to share.

I take your point regarding airline pilots, but there are many doctors and lawyers who choose career paths that are less lucrative for personal reasons.
Ajax

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In any case I feel after my visits to Romania that people in that interesting country are more likely to learn Spanish, Italian or French. It is easier to learn another language in the same language family after all.

In schools French is losing ground, but German is of great interest.
Spanish can be studies alone at home by watching TV (soap operas) - believe me it works.
Italian is basically so easy to learn for Romanians. And there is a big Italian community in the western cities of Romania.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Romania All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: