Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sefcodys College Nigeria Scam

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 11:26 am    Post subject: Sefcodys College Nigeria Scam Reply with quote

Beware. An enterprising Nigerain 419 fraudster is trying to make money from Foreign language teachers by offering them jobs at a school which does not exist then asking for money for visa and permit expenses.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 8:26 am    Post subject: frauds from nigeria and elsewhere Reply with quote

This certainly looked like a scam. I think as a general rule you should not pay for someone to get you a job or process a visa or work permit.

If you work, they should pay you. Economics 101.
John

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a follow up to the thread running on the old bulletin board at the moment. See the message entitled CAUTION or do a search for sefcodys at http://www.eslcafe.com/jd2/

For a final bit of proof I carried out a few searches on random pieces of text in the website and found a couple of more interesting web sites.

First of all see http://www.dexol.4t.com/ which (also hosted on Freeservers) is the side of a rather ill defined trading company run by the Admissions Officer of Sefcodys and using the same phone number. Now if a school with 58 teachers can't afford its own phone line then don't count on too much from the "official car" promised to all teachers.

Far more conclusively see http://www.ru.ac.za/ Now doesn't that white building look awfully familiar. And a couple of other images too.

If you want to sponsor the studies of a would be Nigerian web designer there are far better ways of doing it.
ghost

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 3:58 pm    Post subject: Nigeria scam, you guys should have known Reply with quote

Come on guys, get real. Nigeria is not a place where anyone would want to teach, or need to teach, for that matter.

First of all, English is the official language for education and the government, so they obviously do not need someone from a foreign country teaching there.

Do your research guys, Lagos is the scam capital of the world, and no one in their right mind would want to go there.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 7:25 pm    Post subject: Lagos, Nigeria and Sanity Reply with quote

Ghost you are making a dangerous assumption. You should never assume that your fellow posters are either rational or literate.

You know and I know that Nigeria is not the place to go. Any more than the Dominican Republic or Haiti are suitable choices for would-be teachers.

Alas, not everyone who reads these pages is sane. Lots of very flakey characters are attracted to EFL.
shebab

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You know and I know that Nigeria is not the place to go. Any more than the Dominican Republic or Haiti are suitable choices for would-be teachers.

What's wrong with the Dominican Republic?
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:57 am    Post subject: dom Reply with quote

Dominican Republic ? It is on the same island as Haiti !

Come on ! It is not the "Switzerland of the Carib" !
shebab

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While they are on the same island, they are completely separated countries sharing a closed border. They were also colonized by completely different powers-Haiti, by the French, and Dominican Republic, by the Spanish. Haiti is dominated by former African slaves, while its more prosperous neighbor is populated by mulattos. Unlike Haiti, the Dominican Republic is also a very popular tourist destination for North Americans and Europeans. Having been there myself on a holiday, I can vouch for its safety and livability. Yes, Scot 47, it just may be the "Switzerland of the Caribbean", judging by the fact that it has a Club Med which I'm sure generates a fair amount of revenue.

Whether or not ESL jobs are available is another story. If they are, I'm sure the pay is as lousy as it is in the rest of Latin America.
fat_chris

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those nutty 419ers from Nigeria.

I haven't received any "my husband has died and I want to give you his money" emails in a while. Rolling Eyes
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 10:24 am    Post subject: Nigeria Reply with quote

Unlike some posters I have taught in Nigeria - admittedly many moons ago when the world was young and before some posters were born. My advice is simple and can be summarised thus :

DO NOT GO TO NIGERIA.

You would not get there through this Sefcodys scam anyway. If you did you would probably end up penniless and dead.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: