Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Plausibility of my new life plan?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thelza

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject: Plausibility of my new life plan? Reply with quote

OK, I'm always interested in the opinions of you pros on these boards.

I would like to move to Dubai, and ultimately work as a writer or editor at a newspaper or magazine. However, it seems like it might be easier to make that happen if I can just get over there first, and live for a while, and a teaching job seems like a good way to do it.

My qualifications:
-- BS in journalism, MA in international relations
-- experience as a writing tutor
-- taught English in Russia for a summer
-- worked as writer/editor for various newspapers and magazines

No formal TEFL certification or anything, but I think I have some things in my favor. Think I could land something with these qualifications? Also, any of you professional expat types have any insight on the media job market in Dubai? I'd appreciate any help!
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Plausibility of my new life plan? Reply with quote

thelza wrote:

Aw, that's sweet.

Your penchant for flattery will be a great asset in Dubai.
NadiaK

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion - you'd be very unlikely to get anything in ELT without relevant qualifications.

You might have a better chance getting something at the college/uni level in journalism or the like - but I have no experience in that area so I really couldn't say.

Good luck!
thelza

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Plausibility of my new life plan? Reply with quote

Bindair Dundat wrote:
thelza wrote:

Aw, that's sweet.

Your penchant for flattery will be a great asset in Dubai.

Haha, wouldn't call it a penchant, but let's hope so!
Gauguin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: inlingua Reply with quote

Try 'inlingua' Dubai

http://fribourg.inlingua.com/centers.

[email protected]

good luck
stoth1972

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run away. Far, far away from inlingua or scoreplus. Morris, I noticed you're new to esl cafe. Do you work there?
Gauguin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: inlingua Reply with quote

Hi Stoth,

No I don't work for inlingua, but I did for 5 years in Lille, France.
No I'm with HCT, RAK Women's

Just trying to help Thelza.

inlingua are as good as any to get a few hours in teaching.
stoth1972

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was an exchange on the UAE board a few months back with someone who was applying to Inlingua/Score Plus/Princeton Review. I believe the applicant relayed that she said that it was not going to be full-time hours, that they would not be getting her a work permit, and that they were forbidding her from working with anyone else, and would pursue legal action if they found out she was-all this discussed in the interview. I think they were hoping to hire her locally and let her family visa.

I interviewed with Inlingua in FRankfurt and found them quite professional. However, I worked for the owners of Inlingua Dubai (before they bought this franchise), and would advise against taking a job there. Working for them part-time would likely be an illegal venture, and leaves an employee with little recourse should thing go amuck.
Gauguin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stoth, Any one who believes that sort of rubbish told to them at an interview deserves to to taken advantage of.

"take legal action" in Dubai ! Let's get real and if they don't supply a visa thay have no claims to working hours. Besides, If ingligua Dubai starts acting silly and abusing teachers' rights and the inlingua franchising in Bern finds out. I can't see them being too happy.

Anyway all this is academic. Our friend Thelza won't get a decent teaching job in the UAE without an TEFL Dip and MA.

PS: I've been in the UAE 7 years with HCT. Dubai and RAK. Never see much worth commenting on. And you?
stoth1972

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Besides, If ingligua Dubai starts acting silly and abusing teachers' rights and the inlingua franchising in Bern finds out. I can't see them being too happy.

Morris, we thought the same initially, too. They bought the franchise to the Princeton Review, and TPR employees hired through franchises in the US were very much shocked at how this particular franchise was allowed t operate. Those teachers eventually went back to the DC office and made complaints. What happened? Nothing. They're still making money. Teachers are still going. The franchise as a whole, though quite reputable in the US and otherwise, has apparently taken no action against this particular owner.

Quote:
Stoth, Any one who believes that sort of rubbish told to them at an interview deserves to to taken advantage of.

I don't think this candidate deserved anything. She simply heard what they had to say, and then told them, "No thanks."

Quote:
PS: I've been in the UAE 7 years with HCT. Dubai and RAK. Never see much worth commenting on. And you?

Any me, what? I spent 3 years in the UAE, 2 teaching primary and one working for Score Plus/The Princeton Review, but what do I know?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: