Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PI Innocence is lost
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wigwam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manny2
Sorry to have upset you. Obviously I have hit a nerve, apologies again. All I want is to get the best for my family as most jobs here in the UAE cover the bare essentials but as you may appreciate, it is difficult to get a job back home in ELT.
I wish I were working at the Pi and you are right, my emails (having looked at all my posts this morning) do look suspicious so I take back my previous post and will desist in trying to find fault with the instition if they don't really exist.
twarin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe they don't take guys from other institiutions in the UAE anymore as they have a no-headhunting policy.

You'll have to go out to get back in.

It also would not look good on your resume to only have been at a place for a year or so before applying. Jeez they are so fussy, you'd think you were going for tenure at Harvard.

Do yourself a favor. If you want the best for you and your family, send them home while you spend peanuts in some Gulf "university" working all the hours you can get.

In a few years, you'll have amassed a fortune and your wife and kids will still be normal.
hafniumite

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some PI faults for Wigwam who may want to reconsider his goal

- Questionable medical coverage for spouse and kids and faculty paying out of their own pocket
- Husbands of female faculty get no coverage - this is unknown to most and it is not brought to their attention untill they try to make a claim
- Staff on the lower scales being evicted from their accomodation as PI does not cover rental increases currently does not affect those at upper end but it could
- Educational package is lower than HCT/ZU so the extra salary can soon disappear in school fees
- Staff still awaiting merit increases which may not get approved - automatic in HCT/ZU of at least 6%
- Cronyism is on the increase with the latest incompetent questionably qualified 'wife' with management delusions creating havoc among the Foundation faculty at the new women's campus.

But at the end of the day faculty are paid on average more than HCT/ZU to work in this aspiring world class institution.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, it still looks good for single teachers with MAs. There are often problems around the Gulf for many women teachers getting the same coverage for a spouse as a male teacher. It doesn't fit into their cultural mindset. And as pi grows, so will the possibility of management problems that tend to be rife in education in general, the Gulf in particular.

VS
Wigwam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all about the recent posts. It appears by some that some problems, like other places in the UAE do exist. I have tried to work abroad while my family stayed home. It nearly ended in divorce as the strain on my wife, home alone with the kids was very difficult for them. I missed them terribly and finally resigned from the job despite the good salary and benefits offered.
Perhaps I will leave the UAE (if I am to be re-employed again) at the end of this year, get a few years more experience as suggested and have my MA (and perhaps my PH.D started) before re-applying to the Gulf not necessarily the UAE.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a good plan... Once you have that MA in hand, you can start looking and applying.

VS
zenzuata

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: (Parenthetically) Reply with quote

(Hafniumite - I have been contacted by a couple of people who want more details; but I am surprised you don't know about "Hairy Victor's" dalliances ;-) )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: