Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bringing your dog along

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ha'anala

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 12:56 pm    Post subject: Bringing your dog along Reply with quote

Has anyone brought a pet into the Czech Republic? I've been trying to find something definite about whether they have quarantine laws there or not. A couple of web sites said they didn't...you just needed an international health certificate. One place said they had a 28 day quarantine, but it was in your own house/flat.

Does anyone know anything for sure?

I'm quite attached to my "baby" and I can't imagine leaving her behind...I also can't imagine sticking her in quarantine for months either.
shirley

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brought my cat to Prague in 1991 and had no trouble at all. She needed to have had her shots and a signed health certificate from the vet within a certain window of time prior to leaving. Arriving Prague I was told they would have a vet check her out visually, but after paging one for 10 minutes with no success they passed me through. I then got a kitty "passport" for her from a Czech vet when I traveled into the rest of Europe. It was written in Czech and several other languages and the train ticket/customs people would ask to see it when crossing borders. I don't know what may have changed since then but the cultural office of the Czech Embassy in Washington was very nice and helpful with the details. Give them a call. Once inside Prague I found pets to be welcome everywhere including in pubs where I saw one sitting on a chair at a table with his own plate on the table next to his master.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 5:58 pm    Post subject: mutts Reply with quote

Isn't it the case that dogs in public places in CZ have to be muzzled ? I seem to remember that there is a legal requirement - to prevent mutts from biting humans.
parrothead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the Czech Republic does not yet fall under the EU's Pet Travel Scheme. If this is the case, not only would you have to quarantine your pet going into the Czech Republic, but it would likely be an even longer quarantine returning home (sometimes 6 mos!).
ha'anala

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing some more research, and it seems like the Czech's are one of the most dog-loving people on earth. From what I've read, everyone has dogs, loves them, and take them everywhere! (including some pubs!)

There is no quarantine when you come into the country as long as you have the necessary paperwork. Turns out there wasn't much need to worry because our dog is going to be certified as a service dog in time for us to leave next year...this also means we will have no problems with quarantines upon returning to the states.
runabout

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can attest to the fact that Czech rep is fully EU now -- though the bordar guards may not know that. I live in Slovakia, travel often, have lived with my cat on three continetnts and read the fine print behind every possible distrubance.

Best bet, go to the czeck embasssy webpage (which can be or is in Engish for the most part) and download the requirements. Also, check out the EU docs, as all the EU changed rules on Oct. 14th. Bringing your pet is not a hassle at all if you have the right docs. Depending on the country your leaving from, you might need a "state" supported doc saying that rabbies is not rampant and that your dog has not been out in the woods and will not be running around free in the country.

The airlines themselves might be a problem. Read the fine print closely as some airlines allow pets on board (5kilos max including carrier) or will ask you some very indelicate questions as to why you are bringing a larger animal into any other country.

It is best to follow the rules of the law to the most strict, audacous extent. I've had trouble in Austria and in Paris with my pet over simple but plausable rules -- I spend around five hours double checking everything before she leaves the country (she's lived in five countries, and more to come, I'm sure).

Lastly, know your stuff and stick to it. Let them defend themselves, while being as polite and responsible as possible. My cat has enter C rep several times and has never been checked. Yet, following the latest EU rules, I had her get the microchip with all the info and will still go thru the hassle of seeing the vet within three days of departure and going to the USDA (I'm in the us) just to make things solid.

BTY: train travel is much easier than by air if you have any doubts. Land in Vienna for example, and if they don't catch you out, the border crossing into C will be a breeze (again, unless your dog is a Alaskan Huskey or Wolf breed).

Take it from me, you can easily travel with a pet, but do your homework and don't trust secondary sources on the web -- go directly to the consulate or embassy.

Good luck and I hope my message isn't too late.

P Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: