Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chinese work visa question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whatthefunk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:48 am    Post subject: Chinese work visa question Reply with quote

Can I get a Chinese work visa from a country other than my country of citizenship?
So Im from the states...can I get a Chinese work visa in Mongolia?
Thanks in advance
mep3

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:21 am    Post subject: I think so Reply with quote

I can't tell you for sure because I don't know, but I can give you my surmise and tell you why I think so.

I think you can, because when I first came here, I got a tourist visa in the U.S. and then came to China and got my work visa. Some people were telling me that you can't convert a tourist visa to a work visa in China, but I did it, and some other people said it depends on the province.

So anyway, my meaning is that if you can come here on a tourist visa from the U.S. and then get a work visa here, I don't see that it would matter if the tourist visa were issued in Mongolia.

Also, if you're in Mongolia, you'd have plenty of time to travel here before the next schoolyear and start the application process. Again I'm not sure but I think you can do it. Best way would be to ask the school here that you're dealing with. They'll tell you. It's easy to get a job here before coming. Schools here don't require on-site interviews to hire. In fact, few of them require interviews at all. They just want to get you here. Hope that helps. M
adamsmith

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can get a chinese work visa in any country. All you need is the paper work. On the paper work it will give the location of the place you are to apply - you have to do the paper work for the visa at that location. So if you have a job offer here in china tell them to send the invitation letter to you with the place on it that you are going to apply for the work visa.
whatthefunk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool. thanks for the help.
Steppenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not convinced you can get your work visa issued in MONGOLIA. Some FTs have experienced difficulties obtaining their work visa in a third country. The Chinese bureaucracy is ill equipped to check on your credentials through diplomatic staff posted in countries where you may pass through as a foreigner. The visa rules vary greatly from nation to nation.

In the case of MONGOLIA I can reliably tell you, many embassies there handle visa enquiries differently than their peers do in other capitals. The Russians, for example, issue non-Mongolians and non-former SU citizens no tourist visas in Ulaan Baatar. A friend of mine was told to return to China and get the visa there before heading into Russia by train. That friend of mine was an U.S. American.

I can well imagine the Chinese working in parallel to the Russians on Mongolian territory.
whatthefunk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats not true. Ive met dozens of people from all over the wolrd in Mongolia who have gotten tourist visas for both Russia and China in Ulaanbaatar. I guess Ill have to go to the embassy and check for myself...
Steppenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You made a mistake: you wrote you wanted to get a work visa in Mongolia, and I replied to you on that basis. I nefver said you can't get a tourist visa there.
whatthefunk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steppenwolf wrote:
You made a mistake: you wrote you wanted to get a work visa in Mongolia, and I replied to you on that basis. I nefver said you can't get a tourist visa there.

uhhhh....

Steppenwolf wrote:
The Russians, for example, issue non-Mongolians and non-former SU citizens no tourist visas in Ulaan Baatar. A friend of mine was told to return to China and get the visa there before heading into Russia by train. That friend of mine was an U.S. American.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: