Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3 Answers the same. Am I crazy to still worry?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howard Roark

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:35 am    Post subject: 3 Answers the same. Am I crazy to still worry? Reply with quote

My boyfriend is Turkish. He's home for a visit right now but he'll be flying back October 24. He bought a round trip ticket from Korea to Turkey to Korea. So he's planning to come back with just the one way ticket.
It was our understanding that everyone must have an outbound ticket to enter most countries (of which they are not a citizen). So he called immigration or someplace in Turkey. They said he doesn't need an outbound ticket and he can go to Korea with just his one way ticket.
I called immigration here in Korea. They said the same thing, no problem. Since he's coming to stay with me, he will have an addess and a phone number to give to immigration at the airport. They said that would be enough to satisfy the airport immigration.
I also called Turksih Airlines to check their policy on one way tickets. Many airlines (such as Air Canada who are very particular) won't let you fly internationally on a one way ticket. They also said it was no problem.

So, 3 sources have told us the same thing. No problem.

However, I have been in Korea long enought to suspect that something may still go wrong.

So, am I crazy for still worrying? Would you be satisfied?

Last edited by Howard Roark on Mon Oct 13, 2003 12:22 am; edited 3 times in total
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 2:41 pm    Post subject: korea Reply with quote

You should ask the Korean Embassy.

An alternative source of information is to check with TIM Travel Information Manual which travel agents and airlines get on a monthly basis. It tells you under what circumstances a Mongolian can get a tourist visa for Mali, and other stuff like that.
FGT

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only guessing, but I think he may leave Turkey more easily than he gains entry to Korea. Why did you ask Turkish immigration officials? They have nothing to do with emigration from Turkey? It's not a Turkish IMmigration problem, it's a Korean one. Therefore you should be checking there, not here. Of course his leaving Turkey depends on whether or not he's completed military service etc. Good luck.
Howard Roark

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies. I'm waiting for Monday morning to get this figured out. He has finished his military service and he's been in Korea with me for the last year and a half, he's just home for a visit.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:20 am    Post subject: travel and visas and................. Reply with quote

I am still a bit puzzled. Why would you ask a Turkish government office about Korean government regulations ?

Would you ask the Canadian authorities about regulations for getting a visa for France ? Would you ask an official of the State of Alabama about dog licences in Texas ?

I think not.
Howard Roark

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also asked Korean immigration. They said it was no problem for him to enter Korea on a one way ticket. As long as he can give an address and phone number in Korea, and has a clear reason to be visiting, it should be fine.
What I'm really worried about now is Turkish Airlines. They may not allow him to board without a return or onward ticket. Most airlines have policies like that because if immigration in Korea did stop my boyfriend, Turkish Airlines would be responsible for flying him back and may even be fined. So I'm calling the airline tomorrow (Monday) to see what their policy is.
Once he gets past the ticket counter and gets a boarding pass he will be fine. If there is going to be a problem he'll know about it in Turkey and he won't even get to Korea.
So, depending on what they say, I guess we'll just have to get him a ticket. Better safe than sorry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: