Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Far From Total Immersion...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nmarie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Far From Total Immersion... Reply with quote

I'm currently teaching at a university and need a bit of advice. I've never taught English grammar in a language other than...English. Has anyone had to teach English grammar from a French grammar book (All explanations being given in French)? If so, how have you handled this? I'd rather give my own explanations (with examples) in English and have them read the French text if they choose. Would this be a proper approach? I speak French but have been told not to use it in the classroom, rightfully so.
Pollux

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should by no means speak in English in your classes. Talk about English, in French, but do not use English, for God's sake. University students should utter no English sentence till it is perfect in form, intonation, and sense.

Grammar rules.

I hope I've been helpful.
linguaphile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what Pollux means to say is use English. Very Happy As you probably know, it is advisable to use only English with your EFL/ESL students, unless your school said otherwise, which you said they don't. Especially if your students know some English, which they probably do as University students. Some people say don't even use their first language when you see them outside of class, because then they will be tempted to use their first language in class. Just cause your text book explains the grammar in French, what the heck, explain the grammar in English anyway. When presenting grammar, the examples are more important anyway; you can teach grammar solely by examples, which is what some people do with beginners.
Nmarie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I needn't have worried...Explaining the grammar in English with examples has worked out fine. Of greater concern are the enormous class sizes and discipline issues, particularly with first-year students!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: