Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Qatar Petroleum hiring process
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
masem123

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Qatar Petroleum hiring process Reply with quote

I had an interview with QP in the 4 week of July and then they sent me an offer in 14 days with an invitation to visit their office. I have been waiting for visa and travel arrangement for last 3 weeks and there is no news. I have sent them two emails and have called twice but they do not reply. Does anyone know how much time they normally take to arrange the visa and what kind of interview they conduct when you visit them. Confused
crewmeal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too was promised a position back in May. Heard absolutely nothing from that man in Australia so gave up in the end.

What I can't understand is if Griffiths think you are no good why promise you a position and deliver nothing. Why not just say 'no' it's quite simple really.

They are still advertising again on TEFL.com.
dmb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expect a phone call saying 'Can you come yesterday?'
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought QP only hired Palestinians and Sudanese !
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the main requirement is breathing... and having sent in an application.

VS
kitelophone

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: when will the morons hijack this post? Reply with quote

waiting for the lyin and the kerplop to add their moronic rantings to this post before they cause yet another forum to be closed again. what a couple of complete imbeciles (to wit: The middle east is not part of asia Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes ).

and i thought saudi had the monopoly on idiodacy...

(p.s.- i would've posted this directly to the brothers whinealot but all their forums seemed to be locked, as i mentioned...)
masem123

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Eye opener for the people want to work with QP Reply with quote

Just want to update and warn all of you who are interested in working with QP. Please read whole story to know how the QP HR treat the candidates. As I posted earlier that they interviewed me over the phone and then I had been waiting for the visa and travel arrangement. Finally, they sent me visa and ticket in the end of September. I visited for two days. Let me tell you that they act very cheap when they send you the ticket and make arrangements. I was going for a senior management position and they sent me ticket for the economy class!!! Apart from that when I got there, driver picked me up from the airport and dropped me at the Marriott and left. To my biggest surprise ever when went for check in the check-in counter clerk told me that I did not have the reservation! Now, think for a second about a person who have never visited Middle East and traveling from North America to Qatar (26 hours flight) and Check in clerk tells him that sorry we do not have reservation for you and we are overbooked!!!! I was shocked, surprised and stunned. I ran to see the driver who was long gone. I did not have any after hours contact phone number as it was midnight and was thinking what to do next. I requested the check-in clerk to get in touch with QP staff and she said I should call by myself. I lost my temper and demanded that I needed to speak with the manager right away. Manager came and apologised for the situation and called someone in QP. After 30 minutes I was informed that my accommodation was arranged in a different hotel. Manager asked the bell man to arrange the Limousine for me. Another surprise!!!! Chauffer asked me if I wanted to pay cash for the commute to the hotel!!!! I told him to go and ask the hotel manager as he was arranging this with QP's colloboration. He came back and drove me to the Ramada Hotel around 2�Oclock in the morning.

Next day was my interview and I was supposed to be ready by 7:00AM in the hotel lobby. I got up at 6:00 and was ready in the lobby to be picked up at 6:45AM. Nobody showed up till 8:00AM. I called the HR and they said oh, the driver waiting for you in Marriott hotel! He did not know that I was moved to other Hotel!!!

Anyways, I got to QP office at 8:30AM. They took my extensive interview and I came back to hotel. Next day, they took me for the medical which was the painful waiting time of 5 hours. All they needed my blood and urine sample, chest x-ray, vision test and audiogram test. It takes 30 minutes to complete all of it but I had to wait for 5 hours to get all done. Then driver came and took me to HR building. I was told that I had been selected and met with HR supervisor. He explained the details of the contract and said they would send me all paper work in day or two. I came back thinking this hassle and hardship was probably worth of getting a good job. I came back home. Time started ticking and there was no contract paper and information came from QP. I emailed them many times to no avail. I called but no one answered. Few weeks ago I got the email from HR saying that they could not process my employment because I could not qualify because my online degree was not accredited as per their policies. Can anyone in the wildest dream believe that organization like QP can do this? If they were in North America, I could have sued them for millions for all the trouble they caused. They had all of my documents and they should not have put me through hell if my online degree was not approved. I sent them many emails asking the further details but they never responded and I gave up. So, that�s the end of my adventure with QP. Please do not go there. They are ruthless and very un-ethical people. Especially the HR department is a bunch of un-professional, stupid jerks. That�s my advice to all of you who are interested to work with QP. STAY AWAY FROM THEM

veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, it seems that you are not that familiar with the ME and the education system. Most of us here have heard much worse... and I have to admit that your complaint about only getting a coach class ticket made me laugh out loud. Laughing

That said... QP has never had much of a reputation... or rather it has never been a very good one. Consider yourself lucky that you didn't get hired probably.

This probably means that your distance/online degree is not accepted by the Qatari Ministry of Education. If you decide to apply for other Gulf jobs, be sure to mention that it is distance/online before you get too far in the application process. I can tell you that they are accepted by the Ministry of Higher Education in the UAE, but not by the Ministry of Education, so it depends on which Ministry you are under.

VS
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Eye opener for the people want to work with QP Reply with quote

masem123 wrote:
If they were in North America, I could have sued them for millions for all the trouble they caused.

Yes, of course. You poor thing.

If I were you, I'd call them immediately and thank them for all the trouble they SAVED you by not hiring you. Send them some flowers, too. If they had hired you, you likely would have had a heart attack in the first month.

So look on the bright side. And remember, you got to visit beautiful Doha at this most fabulous of all possible times: in the runup to "the Olympics".

P.S. Thanks for the chuckle.
masem123

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

I am glade I made some people laugh!!!

Anyways, I think people in ME and North America are different in many respect. What I noticed in ME that people are being treated based on color, status and the way they look. I do not say that there is no discrimination in NA. But there is a quality of life, honour and self respect. I learned from the experience that money is important in your life but it should not be at the expanse of your honour and self respect. I am glade that I made this trip and it was an eye opener. For all ME residents, please do not get offended with my comments. I am writting what I have experienced.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your experience was very short and certainly of little value in judging any culture. This kind of snap judgments and blanket statements are one of the things that give us Americans a bad name...

Right BD?

VS
Gordon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks Reply with quote

masem123 wrote:
I am glade I made some people laugh!!!

Anyways, I think people in ME and North America are different in many respect. What I noticed in ME that people are being treated based on color, status and the way they look. I do not say that there is no discrimination in NA. But there is a quality of life, honour and self respect. I learned from the experience that money is important in your life but it should not be at the expanse of your honour and self respect. I am glade that I made this trip and it was an eye opener. For all ME residents, please do not get offended with my comments. I am writting what I have experienced.

Which university is your degree from? Was it an online only school , like the Univ of Pheonix or one with a brick and mortar campus?

I do know a few people who are working in Qatar, not QP, who have a distance masters degree.
dmb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

masem, you mentioned you were applying for a senior management position. I am assuming that it wasn't to do with the English language teaching programs. Is this correct?

As far as I know the only direct hires were teachers who had been sub-contracted for 2/3 years.
Has this policy changed?
idaho_potato

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edgewater Qatar is the new subcontractor

MOD edit
bulgogiboy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Eye opener for the people want to work with QP Reply with quote

masem123 wrote:
Just want to update and warn all of you who are interested in working with QP. Please read whole story to know how the QP HR treat the candidates. As I posted earlier that they interviewed me over the phone and then I had been waiting for the visa and travel arrangement. Finally, they sent me visa and ticket in the end of September. I visited for two days. Let me tell you that they act very cheap when they send you the ticket and make arrangements. I was going for a senior management position and they sent me ticket for the economy class!!! Apart from that when I got there, driver picked me up from the airport and dropped me at the Marriott and left. To my biggest surprise ever when went for check in the check-in counter clerk told me that I did not have the reservation! Now, think for a second about a person who have never visited Middle East and traveling from North America to Qatar (26 hours flight) and Check in clerk tells him that sorry we do not have reservation for you and we are overbooked!!!! I was shocked, surprised and stunned. I ran to see the driver who was long gone. I did not have any after hours contact phone number as it was midnight and was thinking what to do next. I requested the check-in clerk to get in touch with QP staff and she said I should call by myself. I lost my temper and demanded that I needed to speak with the manager right away. Manager came and apologised for the situation and called someone in QP. After 30 minutes I was informed that my accommodation was arranged in a different hotel. Manager asked the bell man to arrange the Limousine for me. Another surprise!!!! Chauffer asked me if I wanted to pay cash for the commute to the hotel!!!! I told him to go and ask the hotel manager as he was arranging this with QP's colloboration. He came back and drove me to the Ramada Hotel around 2�Oclock in the morning.

Next day was my interview and I was supposed to be ready by 7:00AM in the hotel lobby. I got up at 6:00 and was ready in the lobby to be picked up at 6:45AM. Nobody showed up till 8:00AM. I called the HR and they said oh, the driver waiting for you in Marriott hotel! He did not know that I was moved to other Hotel!!!

Anyways, I got to QP office at 8:30AM. They took my extensive interview and I came back to hotel. Next day, they took me for the medical which was the painful waiting time of 5 hours. All they needed my blood and urine sample, chest x-ray, vision test and audiogram test. It takes 30 minutes to complete all of it but I had to wait for 5 hours to get all done. Then driver came and took me to HR building. I was told that I had been selected and met with HR supervisor. He explained the details of the contract and said they would send me all paper work in day or two. I came back thinking this hassle and hardship was probably worth of getting a good job. I came back home. Time started ticking and there was no contract paper and information came from QP. I emailed them many times to no avail. I called but no one answered. Few weeks ago I got the email from HR saying that they could not process my employment because I could not qualify because my online degree was not accredited as per their policies. Can anyone in the wildest dream believe that organization like QP can do this? If they were in North America, I could have sued them for millions for all the trouble they caused. They had all of my documents and they should not have put me through hell if my online degree was not approved. I sent them many emails asking the further details but they never responded and I gave up. So, that�s the end of my adventure with QP. Please do not go there. They are ruthless and very un-ethical people. Especially the HR department is a bunch of un-professional, stupid jerks. That�s my advice to all of you who are interested to work with QP. STAY AWAY FROM THEM

I know this is an old post, but I'm replying anyway.

1. Why didn't they give you 1st-class? Better yet, why didn't they charter a private jet for you??? Sorry you had to be packed in with the rest of us rank and file.

2. Those swanky hotel limos cost 80-120 riyals+ per journey, and you usually just pay for them with cash. This is standard procedure. Why should the Marriott pick up your tab, just because you got dropped off at the wrong hotel?

3. Online or distance? If you've got a degree from Walden Uni I wouldn't hold your breathe for any business-class plane tickets.

4. Yeah, sure you could have.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: