Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advantages of Teaching in Dubai versus Korea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FishcalledWanda

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Advantages of Teaching in Dubai versus Korea Reply with quote

I currently teach in Korea. I make about 2.1 million Won or about 2,100 US dollars a month and I do not pay for rent. I just pay for utilities and I will be paying a small fee for insurance. I have a bachelor's degree from Canada. I have a Social Studies teaching certificate from the state of Texas. I speak English, French, and Arabic, and I am a dual citizen of Canada and the U.S. What would I expect to make in Dubai? What opportunies should one look for? I may go to Thailand after my contract finishes here and get a CELTA certificate and do another year in Korea. Or, I could try to work in Dubai when there is a long holiday, I could get a CELTA during that time. Your feedback would be appreciated.

Basil
like2answer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many years have you taught EFL and what are you looking for in teaching?

If you have taught more than 3 years in a "college" level, I'd apply with HCT because they really need teachers. You can do the CELTA at the HCT once you get the job, but you have to pay for it.

You would get around the same pay, but once you got your MA, you would get paid more as well as the 6% increases every year.

Just a thought... but it depends where you were working in Korea and for how long. If you have only taught children, then HCT wouldn't look at you.

If I were you, I'd look at TEFL.com and this web site for job listings.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With neither an MA nor a CELTA, I can't see HCT making an offer. I doubt that you could make any more money in the Middle East with your credentials.

VS
FishcalledWanda

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure what the HCT is, to be honest. I should have put Kuwait in my title rather than Dubai. I know a fellow who is going to Kuwait to teach the Kuwaiti military. I understand he will be making around 975 K.D. or around 3,000 U.S. dollars. I have 2 1/2 years teaching social studies in a public school, and I will have one year of ESL experience in Korea, and I am fluent in Arabic. I could technically teach social studies in an overseas American school since I have a teaching certificate from the U.S. I will post this on the Kuwait board.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: