Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ethiopia/Eritrea
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 7:45 am    Post subject: Ethiopia/Eritrea Reply with quote

Just curious if someone is reading this who has lived there or worked there.. and what they thought about it overall.. I use to have a girlfriend in New York who was half ethiopian and half sudanese.. i really liked her culture, her family, and her friends.. was kind of interested to see if anyone had lived there and could share what it was like..

Last edited by Tiger Beer on Tue Mar 11, 2003 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
bnix

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 6:33 am    Post subject: Well,Yeah,But You Will Find It Different from New York Reply with quote

So,are you going to teach ESL in Ethiopia or what?Why do you want to live there?It might be an interesting country...but they are just getting hit by another famine...and the fact that you had a beautiful half Ethiopian girlfriend in NYC does not necessarily mean that you will enjoy LIVING there...at least take a short trip to check it out first before planning to live there...you will find it is much different(and more demanding) than living in NYC(what an understatement!).Most places in Africa(with some exceptions) are HARD places to live in physically...drought,famine,wars,disease.Good luck,but be careful. Rolling Eyes
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 11:31 am    Post subject: Once upon a time Reply with quote

Having a girlfriend who was half-Ethiopian a few years back is not enough. You should go and do some research. Find out something. Read.

And then you will find that theis whole region is so poor that there are NO jobs for you.

There is the Peace Corps (for US citizens and residents) and VSO (UK, Ireland, Canada)
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 11:54 am    Post subject: *sigh* Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the strong discouragement from the last two posters. Its really nice to hear people state the over-obvious and pretend they are experts on the subject. First off, its been international news about famine, and one of the most poorest countries in the world is widely well-known.

What I'm looking for here is real people who have actually really been there!! Not a bunch of people who overstate the over-obvious based on the very very basic stuff thats basically written in a one-paragraph blurbs in a dictionary.

Anyhow, there shouldn't be a need to 'prove myself' on this point, but I've already traveled and taught English extensively across three continents, about 40 countries (including traveling), over six years. So, if people could refrain from the simplistic assumptions that no one has ever been anywhere before except themselves.. and that spent their time reading dictionary blurbs on the place and are therefore the ultimate experts on the subject.. I would certainly appreciate it.

I have, in fact, been in correspondence with people who have had first-hand experience living and working in Ethiopia, and there are in fact tons of jobs and a large demand for English teachers. But of course, you wouldn't get much more money here than you would in China, Malayasia, Ecuador, or a whole hoste of other countries.

Anyhow, if someone besides dictionary blurb readers could share some first-hand real experiences there.. it would be significantly more helpful..

I have read everything you could possibly imagine on the subject, and just looking for REAL people to share first-hand knowledge. I definetely already know the simplistic broad comments based on the dictrionary, and went far beyond that to read actual books, websites, newspapers, magazines, and every other kind of publication to the matter. But nothing beats first-hand knowledge to a place. So anyhow, anyone with REAL first-hand input on the place?
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 11:58 am    Post subject: Ethiopia, Eritrea and Somalia Reply with quote

Some of us have experience but it is not likely we will share it with someone who takes this attitude !

From your original posting it appears that you know absolutely nothing about the Horn of Africa. Why did you not ask some specific questions ? Then you might get somewhere.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 12:13 pm    Post subject: specific questions Reply with quote

Some of us have experience Scot? Well, it doesn't sound like you have experience in Ethiopia, or else you would have real knowlege of the place and would have answered the questions appropriately - which was basically, has anyone lived and worked in Ethiopia before?

Its not the most common of places to work, so this question alone should jump out at someone who has, and they would most likely to say 'yes, i have' and go about their experiences.

At least thats what I do when people ask general questions like 'has anyone worked in Brazil? or Chile? or Korea? or Hungary?' or somewhere where I can give some information.

However, if someone asks that same question regarding a place I've never been (like Spain for example), then knowing I don't know anything about the place, I don't respond to that question.

If you have worked in Ethiopia or Eritrea, my follow-up questions would be more specific. Like not 'is it poor?' like you assumed my question was going to be, but more along the lines of 'what kind of contracts do they offer?' 'do most people work under a contract or contract themselves out to others?', 'how is the living situation?', 'is there a decent expat scene?', 'do i need to find my own housing?', 'do many people on the streets know some English, or do you find you have to study Ahrmaric?' and mostly likely I'd want to know what their day-to-day existance as a foreigner and a teacher was like...

If you think you can answer these questions, I would welcome them. But your response telling me 'its too poor' and 'there are no jobs' doesn't help me when I know you don't know what you are talking about.. and when I know of others who have taught there and found jobs quite easily. I'm trying to get back in-touch with those who actually have the knowledge.

I'm sorry about 'my attitude'.. but its just annoying to get 'attitude' of someone whose never been there telling me to read about it for myself so i'd know its too poor and there are no jobs.. and a whole hoste of other ignorant assumptions..
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 5:37 pm    Post subject: overreaction Reply with quote

Your overraction would indicate to me that you would find anywhere in Africa difficult to handle. Stay in NY kiddo !
MsPeach

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 9:14 pm    Post subject: Ethiopia Reply with quote

I went there about four months ago as a tourist. The famine isn't really effecting anything, everything is the same as usual. i.e. There will always be beggars in Addis. I would also think teaching there wouldn't be much different than teaching in any other poor country like Vietnam or Ecuador. So don't listen to these guys who say its too poor. So is the rest of the world, but they still want to study English and get ahead. There is a demand in Ethiopia too. It probably doesn't pay much, but neither does Mongolia or other places, but you probably already know that. So I hope some of this helps. Unfortunately I don't know about the teaching scene in Addis, as I was mostly traveling around the country itself didn't spend much time there.
bnix

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:56 am    Post subject: So,Tiger Beer,If You Wanto Go to Ethiopia,GO!!! Reply with quote

I doubt seriously whether any of us,scot 47,me or anyone,is going to rush up to NYC and try to keep you from going to Ethiopia,if you really want to go.But if you post and ask for advice,do not expect to hear only good things...things you want to hear.Hey,if you are so hot to go to Ethiopia,by all means go.

I never pretended I am an expert.I have lived in two countries in northern Africa...but never been to Ethiopia.

So,if you do not hear from any REAL( Laughing Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes ) people...as opposed to UNREAL people( Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes ),why don't ya just get yourself a plane ticket to Ethiopia and boogey on down over there and check it out?I do not think anyone is going to try to stop you. If you do go to Ethiopia,hope you have a good "experience"( Laughing Rolling Eyes )there. Razz Razz
Albulbul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 7:30 pm    Post subject: Tiger Beer and His Plans Reply with quote

A look at Tiger Beer's CV posted on his website reveals an intersting and varied career in EFL. How long has he stayed in a job on average ?

What chance has he got in downtown Asmara or Addis ? Who cares ?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 1:59 pm    Post subject: Living and Working in Ethiopia Reply with quote

Hey there, Tiger Beer! I know you've had this question up for some time, and at long last I have a few free minutes at the company computer to respond.
I taught the last school year in Ethiopia. I wasn't in Addis, but in a smaller city called Gondar. I worked at one of the myriad teacher training colleges scattered around the country. I went with an organization called IFESH (International Foundation for Education and Self Help.) IFESH sends volunteers to about 12 different African countries, I think, and is particularly involved with educational, judicial, and medical advancement in Africa. If you're from the U.S., it would certainly be worth your effort to check out this organization. They have fantastic support, and the stipend is a bit higher than that of other voluntary organizations. Also, they only ask for a one year commitment. I'd say that about 90% of their volunteers have a Masters degree or higher, but a few of us managed to slip in with only extensive experience under our belts!
VSO is also very strong in Ethiopia. It seems like a great organization, and I was impressed with all of the volunteers I knew. VSO (and Peace Corps) ask for a two year commitment. They don't pay much of a stipend, but enough to live comfortably.
Peace Corps wasn't in Ethiopia, last I knew, although the American embassador told me several months ago that they were planning on returning soon. For all I know, they may now be in the country.
If you have solid qualifications, I'd also check out the International School or the American School, both in Addis. These places cater to wealthy locals and diplomat kids, and pay incredibly well, by Ethiopian standards. They're hard places to crack, and tend to be a bit nepotistic.
You're correct; there are many, many schools and colleges across the country that would love to have you at their schools. The biggest drawback is the money, or the lack of it.
Whoops! I've got to run. I'll try to write again later, but feel free to ask any questions. Good luck in this magical country!
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 3:58 am    Post subject: comments Reply with quote

Thanks MsPeach and Echidna very helpful.

Why is BNIX being so confrontational and offended? Sheesh, the guy is following me around making other stupid comments now? whats this all about.. I'm asking about Mexico and he says:

bnix wrote:
H'mmm.Thought you were set on going to Ethiopia.Well,true Tijuana is a lot closer.Teaching ESL there...I guess you could...I think it is a pretty sleazy place myself...deserving most of its rep...different strokes for different folks,though. Rolling Eyes Laughing

WTF? Too many idiotic comments here.. lets try to be more helpful and give actual answers rather than personal slander and opinionated nonsense on things and places you know nothing about.. some of us asking legitimate questions and we don't need childhood playground idiocy floating through these boards..

Anyhow, thanks to MsPeach and Echidna!!! Good to know there are still helpful English Teachers who aren't discouragers, false information senders, and well.. unknowledgeable self-experts on places they've never been or seen before..
bnix

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 4:14 am    Post subject: "Different Strokes for Different Folks" Reply with quote

T.B...I am "not following you around" Rolling Eyes ...and I have been to Tijuana...the good parts and the bad parts several times...I still don't like it.If you like it...fine.Like I said"different strokes for different folks"And though you think my comments are"stupid" (apparently because I do not agree with you)...I do not think your comments are stupid ...they are just different from mine,not "stupid"
When you post on a public forum like this ,you run the risk of having people post who disagree with you..you cannot expect everyone to agree with your opinions.And we went through all of that back when you were considering Ethiopia.And all of that "confrontational" stuff...well ,people can disagree with you without being "confrontational".After all,it is a public forum.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: "Different Strokes for Different Folks" Reply with quote

Okay, gotcha. No offense taken then. I'm just looking for more substantial information.. rather than just someone's broad general (and quite negative) opinions.. but if thats all you got.. and you are so inclined to post.. then go for it..

There is significantly more to Ethiopia then poverty though.. and there is significantly more to Tijuana than hookers.. but if those are your opinions, then thats fine. You are inclined to your opinion, and I won't challenge you on the over-obvious.

Anyhow, you are right.. most of your postings are just general broad opinions of this and that.. I was just looking for substantial information when I posted both of these inquiries..
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:24 pm    Post subject: Asmara or Dubai Reply with quote

Students in Asmara and Addis can now relax. It seems that tiger beer has decided to try his luck in Dubai. He is going to find a part-time job there on a tourist visa. Do you think the authorities in the UAE might notice ?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: