Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

recruiter, fao, work visa background checks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dixie90210

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:17 pm    Post subject: recruiter, fao, work visa background checks Reply with quote

i am considering pursuing a teaching career in china or somewhere outside the u.s. i have an old felony possession drug conviction, which is why i could never teach in the u.s. they do not allow it...period.

i want to know if the chinese embassy or consulates in the u.s. do background checks when they process a z-visa, and if an old drug conviction would disqualify me from getting that z-visa required to teach in china. does the fao at the school or the fao government office in china do background checks? how about the recruiters? if so, would my felony most likely get me rejected? how about taiwan, indonesia, thailand, vietnam, etc.

i understand and sympathize with countries wanting quality teachers with good backgrounds. i made a poor choice over twenty two years ago and have since made a wonderful life for myself and my children, who are grown and very good people. i have tired of my current profession and am now in the position to do some things that interest me, without the constraints of family expenses to consider.

i would like very frank comments and replies, with as much detail as possible. i would like to teach english. but if i have to do it illegally or end up wasting time and money stumbling through permit and visa rejections, then i would rather not waste my time or anyone else's. there are other callings, yes?

thanks.
Roger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lay your worry to rest!
Skip this part of your life in your application. You won't have to account for it.
dixie90210

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how so? do the chinese - from the u.s. consulates to the local chinese government fao - not bother to check criminal records? how do they prevent someone with a violent or sexual crime from infiltrating their schools. seems awfully careless.

it is good news for me, if what you say is true. i would still like to know how this happens, and if you are absolutely certain. likie i said before, i don't want to waste me time or anyone else's. and i sure don't want to end up getting kicked out of the country - or worse.

thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: