Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hong Kong - Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Annie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 3:04 pm    Post subject: Hong Kong - Questions Reply with quote

I hope this is the forum to ask questions about Hong Kong? Do I need a working visa? I can't seem to get through on the phone to the embassy here (Manchester, UK) and every time I go, it is shut. I've checked a few websites and I need letters from an employer etc. BUT as I don't want to accept a job without seeing the school etc, I can't a 'letter', Catch 22.

The messages posted here vary between, yes, and no you don't need visa's. BUT that is for mainland China. Is Hong Kong the same, or more relaxed/strickter? I've got a TEFL and every other country I been to, I just arrange a job when I'm there.

I've been teaching in Thailand for about a year, and I would like to try Hong Kong. Ideally teaching children but I'm very flexable. Rolling Eyes
Roger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Annie,
don't set your hopes too high on HK! Of course, you DO NEED a visa, and you can only get it from an officially-approved sponsor. That means, you must apply for positions available, and be in the run for it together with a host of fellow-competitors.
Your best bet is the NET scheme.
Second best - assuming you are British! - would be English Schools Foundation.
Then there are the various international schools.

Don't dream of freelancing in HK! One thing the current administration has adopted from their former British overlords is how to monitor the inflow of non-residents.
In my opinion, HK has become decidedly less-welcoming! Gone are the days when various backpackers would earn a living as couriers or kitchen hands!
There is a high unemployment rate, and the government is victimising all non-native workers with heavy taxes and costs! Just ask one of the thousands of Filippina or Indonesian domestic helpers!

FOr jobs, refer to SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (but you have to pay for their online version). Alternatively, try HK Standard (but run a Google search as the name of this paper has changed, and I don't remember its current one).
once again

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 11:05 am    Post subject: hong kong Reply with quote

You can access the SCMP without payment. Just put in a search and then check out the classified section. It has lists of jobs.
once again

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 11:08 am    Post subject: non Native workers Reply with quote

As deplorable as the tax on foriegn maids may be, the government is not victimising all non native workers. In fact it has just launched a scheme to get more of them. But you must be very wealthy!!!

The backpackers that were mentioned were all British and so had the ablility to work on landing. THis was never the case for people of other nationalties.
Kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

You can find a copy of the South China Morning Post Classifieds at www.classifiedpost.com. The newspaper articles at SCMP require that you pay for a subscription but the classifieds are free.

I've noticed that the jobs that are posted are mainly ESL and usually do not contain info on pay or benefits.

I've been looking for work at international schools and I've been having alot of trouble as I've found very few ads for them. I would have liked to get into the NET scheme but it appears that the applications were due Jan. 10 so I missed the date.

I've contacted one of the administrators to ask whether or not they would accept a late application but I did not receive a response.

Good luck on your job search.

PS. Anyone with info on International schools please send my way!
Annie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 11:11 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Hi

Just a quick thank you for the replies. I was a bit worried about posting a message, in case I got some abusive replies, which seem to appear every time someone asks the type of questions that I have. Off now the find more info about JET.

Ta
Annie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: