Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NEW QUESTIONS FOR NEWBS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kuberkat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: NEW QUESTIONS FOR NEWBS Reply with quote

A few questions I haven't seen on this forum:

1. What working hours are expected by langauge schools for a monthly paycheque of around SD3000? Are hours split or blocked? What about weekends?

2. SD 3000 seems to be a common starting salary at language schools for those with soem experience. Is this based on hourly pay or a flat monthly rate?

3. What responsibilities do teachers have at language schools besides teaching (grading? materials preparation? curriculum design? special events? administration?)

4. Teaching, to me, is a means to an end. Will I have time to work on other projects, like studies?

Thank you for your insights.
Pinchy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: NEW QUESTIONS FOR NEWBS Reply with quote

It's a bit difficult to answer these questions as all language schools are different, but I'll have a bash . . .

kuberkat wrote:

1. What working hours are expected by langauge schools for a monthly paycheque of around SD3000? Are hours split or blocked? What about weekends?

You'd normally be contracted for 30 hours a week - expect to teach 25. If you're lucky, teaching could be blocked (mine was 9-3 Mon/Fri), or you could have doughnut days and be expected to work Saturdays too. It depends on the place. Like anywhere, as a newby, don't expect the best time slots.

kuberkat wrote:

2. SD 3000 seems to be a common starting salary at language schools for those with soem experience. Is this based on hourly pay or a flat monthly rate?

Usually flat monthly. Expect overtime for teaching above set hours. If you're paid SD 3000, you'll need the extra hours.

kuberkat wrote:

3. What responsibilities do teachers have at language schools besides teaching (grading? materials preparation? curriculum design? special events? administration?)

From what I've seen, teachers teach the book in Singapore language schools. There doesn't seem to be too much in the way of lesson planning or curriculum design.

kuberkat wrote:

4. Teaching, to me, is a means to an end. Will I have time to work on other projects, like studies?

It depends on your energy levels and the deal you cut. Working on other projects would leave very little time for any kind of life. I know one person doing a masters while language school teaching but things seem really tough.

Hope that helps.
Krakatoa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: New questions for newbs Reply with quote

You will need at least S$4 000 per month. Monthly rate! You may be required up to 120 hours per 28 day period. Most months have at least 30 or 31 days in them. Now work out if you are getting paid exactly what is in your contract. If indeed your contract states you are paid on a set date every month, you must then work out your hourly rate and see if it is what you want.

WARNING: Be careful as I know of one language school that started paying its teachers by cheque and these need at least one whole week to clear: Singapore Banking Laws! You get paid by cheque on the due date and then get shafted by not getting your cheque cleared for at least one week! Nice school? You judge for your self!

Most language schools require you to work on weekends unless you do a sweetheart deal and that may give you what you really need or want.

Responsibilities may include assessing the prospective student, some office work or at least support the office staff, meet the parents and tell them what lies they want to hear, or the school wants you to tell (Johnny is doing great! Just keep bringing him so I can keep my job!! YES! It is a fact at one language school that I know of!) so that the school keeps on making money. YES! It is a money making racquet!

You and you alone can answer your last question after you weigh up the working hours versus waking hours etc.

Are you really interested in �teaching� English when you use slang in your title? (Newbs).

If you are undecided in your endeavour of working on Singapore, you are welcome to pm me for further information.

Krakatoa.
kuberkat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for your insights.

BTW, my teaching experience spans two years of language school and two years of elementary school in East Asia and more recently two years of college teaching in the Middle East. What is calling me back to the shady underbelly of the language school industry is the fact that there I could leave my work at work. The "real" teaching jobs tend to seep into one's private time.

Krakatoa?!? The slang is just to prevent my usual problem: being referred to as pedantic. Sorry, can't please everyone. As you can see I am not new to teaching, but to Singapore (though I was there for several days and spent a few months in SEA in 2002). Pardon the confusion.
Shakhbut

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Last edited by Shakhbut on Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
kuberkat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er, what's HCT Embarassed ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: