Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cultural Extremes in Alexandria?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gallit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow, thanks for the insight on your trip, Minx.

I have since gone back to school to work on my Masters, so I'm afraid Cultural Extremes has been put on the back burner. I just figured it would be better to put that money toward higher education than toward a program with little merit attached to it. And after hearing all you went through, I'm happy to know I've made the right decision.

I'm glad everything worked out for you in the end, though! Smile So you're still in Egypt, yeah?

EDIT: Horrid grammar on my part!

Last edited by Gallit on Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:33 am; edited 1 time in total
madhouseminx

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Gallit!

Well, I was the guinea pig! You're better off. However I have no regrets. I just acquired my first private ESL tutoring student so we'll see how that goes. I wouldn't have said yes with out any training at all, I just would not have felt comfortable. Plus, I was ready to get out of the US!Yes, I'm still in Cairo and I was just offered a coaching position at the school, so I plan on staying a few months longer but I do look forward to coming home for Christmas!! Oreos and milk anyone?

-Mad
Gallit

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great! Good for you. Very Happy So, Cultural Extremes aside, you're liking Egypt? That's what it sounds like. And really, that's all that matters. Smile
madhouseminx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's ok. I moved to the 'burbs because I was subjected to CONSTANT harrassment downtown. And yes, I always wore long sleeves and long baggy pants. I got ripped off big time my first day here, but you live and learn. I like my job and the school so that makes up for everything else. Very Happy
Gallit

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ick. Yeah, I've read the stories about the unwavering harrassment. Glad you were able to get out of the rut, though.

So you've completely relocated to Egypt, then? Sorry if I'm being nosy; I just think it's great you finally made it over.
madhouseminx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I haven't. Tennis ends in March and I may just go back to the states after that. Or maybe not. Or maybe I'll go somewhere else. We'll just have to see. That's the beauty of it. I can pretty much do what I want. I'm not in the market for a permanent position yet... we'll just have to wait and see! Wink

And you're not being nosey. I'm happy to answer any and all questions!

-Minxy
abdulrahman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad,
How'd you get ripped off?
madhouseminx

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made the mistake of going to the pyramids my first day....to make a long story short...I did a camel ride for a couple of hours...got pressured into buying some perfume. They told me it was 700LE. I was so shocked, I was prepared to pay about 100LE. I tried to bargain and I only got him down to 600LE. He screamed in my face, "THIS IS FAIR PRICE!" They would not let me leave...I was alone and scared and so I paid it. Since then, my landlord refused to give me back my 1400LE deposit and refused to show me the bills to justify it on top of the fact that they broke the lease agreement. I tried to go to the utilities companies...they refused to show me anything....I went to the real estate agency I got the flat through and they said, "I know this man he won't pay but we will try to reason with him." I was seen as one huge dollar sign. Glad I am out of there. Mad
abdulrahman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, that happened to me in a lot of places throughout Europe. But I would imagine a place like Alexandria would be kinder to tourists, and foreign nationals working abroad. Cairo, like most large cities, would seem to be the major tourist trap. I'm sorry to hear that happened to you.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minx...

It is as if in Egypt, you were jinxed!! If I add up all of my friends' bad experiences through the years together, they could not catch up with you. Perhaps the idea of periods of bad 'karma' or whatever in one's life is true. Sorry that it turned out this way, but I know you have some good memories of the time too.

VS
madhouseminx

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know people that have horror stories that are worse than mine...especially when it comes to landlords. Just one example is a friend who was requirede to pay 4 months in a advance. After a month or so...he had no running water for a WEEK! He had to move out and his landlady refuses to return the unused portion of his rent. Attempts at going to the police have proved unsuccessful. I think I got off easy in comparison. I don't believe I have bad karma because I have never cheated anyone.

-Minx
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But I would imagine a place like Alexandria would be kinder to tourists, and foreign nationals working abroad.
Couldn't be more wrong. Alexandria exists ripping off the Egyptians who work in the Gulf and spend summer there. A westerner there is viewed the same as a Saudi sheikh was in London in the 70s.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just much have been lucky. I had 5 different landlords in Cairo and they were all great. Why would someone pay 4 months in advance?? I would have walked as soon as they made such a silly demand. There are places like the Emirates where up front rent is the standard, but definitely NOT in Cairo. It can be a tough city for the naive or over-trusting sorts...

But... the world is full of sleazy landlords... and taxi drivers... and etc.

Actually Stephen, Egypt has a very strict rip-off system based on nationality... most things have the Egyptian price... the Egyptian from the Gulf price... the western expat price... the tourist price... and the Gulf Arab price.... a gradually increasing scale. Cool

VS
stoth1972

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really had to push myself to return to Cairo after the first year. My landlady, and ancient woman who never missed a prayer (when she was in our flat) was cheating us left, right, and centre. Left such a horrible taste in my mouth.

As for the pyramids fiasco Madhouseminx experienced, it's times like those when being alone in Cairo is scary. I relied a lot of returning colleagues for advice on how much to pay for a taxi ride, how to get home w/ minimal Arabic those first few weeks, how to bargain, etc. When a single woman goes to the pyramids, they're like flesh-eating fish. Sometimes the tourist police can be used to bring those guys back in line. Often just the threat of involving the police will bring the price down, but these are lessons learned the hard way.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit that I avoided the pyramids area. It was just too much of a hassle. They are even awful to the local Egyptians there. I have been to Sakkara and Luxor many times and they are so much easier to cope with, but as many times as I have gone back... I never returned to the Giza Plateau except to visit Lehner's excavations back by the stables.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: