Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

QATAR AERONAUTICAL COLLEGE
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jobrown

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:31 am    Post subject: QATAR AERONAUTICAL COLLEGE Reply with quote

Hey,

This place (QATAR AERONAUTICAL COLLEGE)
just advertised in The Guardian. Is this the Aviation College or some place else?
Anyone got the inside scoop? Working conditions? Tolerability? Salary? Vacations? etc..

Cheers

Jo.
dunedude

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that the people who work there either don't read Dave's ESL Cafe or are blissfully contented because you never get postings from them. So I'll try to answer your query from an outsider's position. I asked around about QAC (Aviation/Aeronautical - it's all the same place) when I was thinking of changing jobs here in Qatar.

Apparently the upsides of the job are that students are motivated (well relatively, when seen from a Qatari perspective), the hours are OK (7-1), the work can be interesting, and pay comes on time.

The downsides are salaries (lower than ALL comparable institutions here), accommodation (unless you are lucky), and transport (unlike most colleges, no car is provided for you to get to and from work.

As I understand it, pay and accommodation are the main reasons that there is a high turnover of staff.

So if you are lined up for an interview, check out the salary, check out the accommodation on offer. If you are satisfied, take the offer.

Good luck
dmb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was contracted by QAC a few years ago.... then sub-contracted to QP. QP and QAC are different.... very. Reading these boards it seems things have changed drastically recently. QAC no longer recruits for QP and Mal is no longer there.
Read the boards and find out if the position will involve working at QAC or QP.
graftonstreetgulf

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that the accommodation has recently improved...all instructors have been moved to brand new single rooms...fully furnished of course.

The drawbacks are low salary, no transport....however it's probably one of the easiest gigs in this part of the world - day over by 1:30 ish.It's a good to use as a base to suss out the Gulf, especially if you are a first-timer.

I, like dmb, spent all of my three years sub-contracted to QP.This is no longer possible, as QAC lost the contract to Griffith Uni (Brisbane) late 2005.
dmb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

graftonstreetgulf, 3 years on the Gulag? I tip my hat to you. Well done.
graftonstreetgulf

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hat tipping aside dmb, I only did 9 months tariq dodging on the gulag....before employees and the promised land of materials
dmb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

graftonstreetgulf wrote:
Hat tipping aside dmb, I only did 9 months tariq dodging on the gulag....before employees and the promised land of materials
Tariq dodging is easy... he's not usually there. The promised land of materials? Don't tell me Gabby has actually produced something.

Sorry...... I'm being naughty.
graftonstreetgulf

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course not dmb!! Gabi and her bunch of merry men are still on Level 1 I believe.Is it a million dollars and counting in the production of 'Power English'??
dmb

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
bunch of merry men
It's a cushy job. I almost applied. Instead I left the country.
dunedude

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four teaching institutions are currently advertising for TESL staff in Doha. Prospective applicants may care to compare rates of pay etc. Figures are from my contacts and I cannot 100% guarantee they are correct. If anybody knows better, please supply details.

1. Language Institute
QR14,000-17,000. Free family accommodation in 3 bed apartment. V good holidays and 4 day teaching week.

2. Qatar University.
c QR12,000. Free family accommodation in a 3 bed apartment or a villa, but some are far from the campus. V good holidays.

3. QP (through Griffiths University, Australia).
QR11,000 and free non-shared car. 2 bed apartments in good quality block. Holidays 6 weeks per year plus religious hols.

4. QAC (aeronautical college)
QR9,000. No car. Strictly single staus accommodation, some good and some rundown. Holidays 6 weeks per year plus religious hols.
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dunedude wrote:

1. Language Institute
QR14,000-17,000. Free family accommodation in 3 bed apartment. V good holidays and 4 day teaching week.

Got any more info on this place? I've never heard of it.
QatarChic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bindair Dundat wrote:
dunedude wrote:

1. Language Institute

Got any more info on this place? I've never heard of it.

I know someone who works there and all teachers recently got a 20% increase (as did all expat government employees) but was told that it went up to QR14, 000- haven't heard about the QR17, 000 though. You teach 3 or 4 groups four times a week- but the downside is that hours are usually from 3pm-9pm. Students are all Qatari and from what I hear very pleasant to teach. The language Institute is funded by the Ministry of Education and they run a few other courses in the mornings such as Arabic and apparently they want to introduce teaching other foreign languge.
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QatarChic wrote:
I know someone who works there...

Thanks QC.
Imdramayu

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject: QAC -- "not recruiting" Reply with quote

QC website says not recruiting.. Is that true? Anybody working there?
biffinbridge

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: dmb Reply with quote

Hi Damo, 3-9!! The Knights of the Red Disc could have convened every night on those hours and still not smelt of booze before teaching. Crossley could've done a bottle of 'Old Monk' every night!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: