Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A questions from a newbie
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 3:01 pm    Post subject: Free Advice ? Reply with quote

There is no such thing as a free lunch. The advice you get here comes at a price. You have to put up with bad-tempered old curmudgeons like me.

That seems a fair price.

And no I have never been in the Marines. Neither of the US nor Royal variety. I was trying to inject some humour into the discussion. I should have known better.

Who in their right mind would compare the "profession" of TEFL with being in the Military ????????
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 3:24 pm    Post subject: TEFL foot-soldiers Reply with quote

Dear scot47,
" Who in their right mind would compare the "profession" of TEFL with being in the Military ???????? "
Well, I would - in some ways - for one. But then, few have ever accused me of " being in my right mind ".
Some points of comparison:
1. You have to learn to take orders from a lot of idiots.
2. You have to depend ultimately on yourself for your own safety and well-being: self-reliance.
3. You have to get along with all sorts of " colleagues ", some of whom are congenial, others of whom are decidedly not.
4. You have to develop a sort of 6th sense about what's OK and what may be harmful/dangerous.
5. And most importantly - you have to be at least a little bit whacko to go into either " profession ".
Regards,
John
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 3:48 pm    Post subject: 458 Reply with quote

There you have it from a genuine ex-Marine.

The nearest I ever got to military service was working for the bus company when I was a student. And no I was not a driver. I was a conductor, when the buses still had conductors.
dduck

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Free Advice ? Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
There is no such thing as a free lunch. The advice you get here comes at a price. You have to put up with bad-tempered old curmudgeons like me.

That seems a fair price.

To whom? If you took a poll would you be a winner? Do you think people are being convinced by your arguments, right now?

Remember, mummy can't protect you from the big bad world forever. You have to take responsibility sometime.
Iain
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
R

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please see 'questions from a newbie part 2' for discussion of the, uh, questions from a newbie.
R

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, I think it is sometimes worth remembering that, as well as being newbies in terms of ESL, a lot of new posters are newbies in terms of forum conventions. In 'real life' conversations, it is quite acceptable to start by asking a very general question and then get into specifics. eg

"I'm thinking of teaching abroad. Where should I go?"
"Well, what do you want to get out of it?"
"You know, travel and girls"
"...okay.... what are your qualifications?"

It can take a while to get into the style of the forum, which I guess is more like writing open letters. So:

Experienced posters, try to help the newbies to understand the forum's style, and give them a bit of a break while they get to grips with it.

Newbies, have a look at the posts that returned the most helpful responses for their posters, and try to emulate those. Get as much information as possible across straight away, so that people can help you as quickly and easily as possible.
AKA

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry scot47; I'll explain:
"there" - their mum's basement.
"here" - where ever you are now.
A tiny generalisation maybe, but two out of two Canadians at my school came from, and went back to, living in their Mums' basements. Both knew considerably more about IT than the workings of the English language.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: