Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WHERE DO YOU STAND "POLITICALLY"?!! (fun sites)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 3:31 pm    Post subject: Where I ( seemingly ) stand Reply with quote

Dear Writerman,
An interesting questionaire. It seems I stand at:

Economic Left/Right: -4.63

Authoritarian/Libertarian: -5.90

which puts me in the vicinity of Ghandi, Ken Livingstone, Tony Benn and Claire Short. My Lord - I'm a pinko radical.
Irish

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 4:58 pm    Post subject: Who'd-a thunk it? Reply with quote

Apparently, I'm Ghandi. Do I have to start wearing robes and organizing peaceful rebellions now?
xiaoyu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow... guess i am a libertian left with one of the quizzes... though i have to say that i am not that surprised that i am near ghandi in that aspect! Smile the other one i don't know if i agree with... puts me as "green" with a political role model of ralph nader.... hmmm.... think my family would die laughing there... might have to retake it.... Smile great fun though! thanks
xiaoyu
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 3:14 am    Post subject: Your next move Reply with quote

Dear Irish,
Considering who's running India these days, I'd say your next move would be to go there and get assassinated.
Regards,
John
Irish

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 3:32 am    Post subject: You make it sound so appealing Reply with quote

Well, John, the closer I get to midterm exams, the more attractive that option looks.

Stay low,

Irish
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 4:54 am    Post subject: thanks, writerman Reply with quote

This was fun. It doesn't surprise me that most of us seem to be on the Libertarian Left. I was interested to find myself very close to where all four cross but still in that quadrant. Does that suggest that I am politically confused?? (short answer... yes) Smile
Winmar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Economic Left/Right: -4.25
Authoritarian/Libertarian: -6.36

Woohoo I'm in with Gandhi!
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:05 am    Post subject: Where's Attila when you really need him? Reply with quote

What gives here? Is this " profession " ( or whatever else you might want to call it ) over-run with pinko left-wingers? Where are the Attilas the Hun, the Pat Buchanans, the Torquemandas? I KNOW you're out there; I've worked with ( against? ) some of you. Let's hear from the rabid right.
Regards,
John
whitjohn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:06 am    Post subject: test Reply with quote

Whoa...I'm wishywashy? Economic 0.75 Authoritarian 2.82
Really, I do have opinions...
arioch36

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I found out what I always knew, I'm a slightly left wing libertarian.
I do agree somewhat with their premise on outdated terminology. A hundred fifty years ago, a liberal in America was what a conservative is now, and when democrats started their rise to power in America, they were so much part of the establishment.
I think I fall into the crowd that many I know call fiscal conservative, social liberal...that gov't and their money and laws are usually the worst way to change things.
Of course, Schroeder of germany supposedly compared Bush to Hitler? Interesting from the country of Hitler, where facism still has a strong following in the underground (Fascism was also in the underground before Hitler took over)
Roger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Chris,

I find 99% of your postings extremely readable and above average, but this last comment of yours was a major glitch. Please, take your anti-European biases and put them where they belong - as far as possible away from your mind and ours!
Gerhard Schroeder has never likened American President Bush to Adolf Hitler, full stop! He has, and I fully support him on this, taken a radically-anti-war stance, and as a German, he better had keep that position!
May the rest of the Western world follow him! France does - vive la France!

You may have heard about someone in Germany putting George Bush somewhere in AH's vicinity - that has happened, but not, to my knowledge, from G. Schroeder.

Fascism was an Italian inventionnot a German one, and its various avatars in Latin-America have all enjoyed US American support.
If you claim there are fascists "underground", well, that may be true, but at least they are not legal. And America still has the KKK, hasn't it?
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: Can of worms Reply with quote

Oh Writerman,
You should have known that posting that " political site " was going to open up a can of worms. Just for the record, Roger's right. The German ( ex ) Justice Minister, Herta Daeubler-Gmelin, was the person in question, and she denied the charge:
" Daeubler-Gmelin told reporters that, in a debate with union members, she had talked about the public discussion within the United States about how foreign policy measures could distract from domestic problems. 'I then said that we have known this debate since 'Adolf Nazi',' she said."
Then, there was the Canadian ( ex ) top aide to Prime Minister Chretien,
Franciose Ducros, who called Bush a moron. There was no claim from Ms Ducros, however, that she had been " misunderstood ". As for " fascists ", well, I'm afraid they can be found in every country, in some, perhaps, more than in others. I am a citizen of the USA, but to tell you the truth, I tend to agree with Ms Ducros. On the other hand, I suspect that some of France's motives for opposing the Iraqi invasion may be, well, less than noble. Still, I'd say it's better to do the right thing for the wrong reasons than the wrong thing for the wrong reasons. I hope that President Bush decides against an invasion - in my opinion, it will be a very big mistake, not to mention a tragedy. But I'm afraid there's little chance of its not happening - and soon, very soon.
Regards,
John
KylefromCanada

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 4:34 pm    Post subject: Politics ruled by an intellectual elite? Reply with quote

Maybe I'm a Leninist, as I was given an authoritarian left-wing rating! Laughing
G Cthulhu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: WHERE DO YOU STAND "POLITICALLY"?!! (fun site Reply with quote

The problems with the test is that the original version of it was designed to be done by Americans and to encourage people to look at libetarianism. You can still see the US perspective/experience in many of the questions.

It's a political recruitment tool and little more.
David Bowles

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Thinking globally and acting locally is basically a good idea'?
What does that even mean? I suggest a simpler test:

'What colour would your ideal shirt be?'
a) Red
b) Blue
c) Black
d) I wouldn't wear one

'The proles are...'
a) The mailed fist of the Victorious World Revolution
b) A smelly, disreputable, criminal bunch
c) The mailed fist of their country (if you give them guns and make them soldiers)
d) Prisoners of the tyranny of society

'If I was a historical figure, I'd be...'
a) Not a nasty dictator like Stalin, Mao or Lenin...one of the nice ones who never got into power. Erm, Trotsky?
b) A fine, upstanding English gentleman. Not necessarily a slave trader, but I wouldn't be against the idea...
c) Sweeping all before me as I build a Reich to last 1000 years. Did I say Reich? Sorry, I meant Empire.
d) History is dead. Ok, at a push, maybe a rebellious peasant.

Your answers mean...
Mostly a)- Unreconstructed Marxist.
Mostly b)- Very reconstructed Marxist. One who likes money.
Mostly c)- Now's the time to start collecting Nazi memoribilia and gun magazines.
Mostly d)- You're probably a student.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: