Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adaptation to living in a Muslim Indonesia? how hard/easy?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghost

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Adaptation to living in a Muslim Indonesia? how hard/easy? Reply with quote

Folks:

Have not yet been to Indo, and realize it (Indonesia) is not like Saudi and other places where a conservative approach to Islam is practiced and expected.

What about for teachers in Indo...how much of an issue is it living in a Muslim majority country, and what behaviours or lifestyle adaptations have you found are necessary.....for example if ghost goes running in the streets in shorts and a tank top, how will that be viewed in most places in Indonesia....?

ghost
gugelhupf

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indonesia is NOT like Saudi in this respect but some areas are much more conservative than others. Bule men in shorts and a tank top won't bat an eyelid in central Jakarta, or for that matter in any very touristy spot just about anywhere. In very conservative areas such as Aceh or W Sumatra people will probably not like it very much but are unlikely to complain to you directly unless you try to go into a mosque, and they may be more touchy during Ramadhan. That's the situation for men at any rate.

Bear in mind that it isn't just a muslim thing here, and turning up casually attired to a posh function or even on business at a government office would be considered very disrespectful. Shorts and sandals are banned in many Indonesian consulates overseas, for example.

I lived for a while in conservative W Sumatra and had no problems except for obtaining lunch during Ramadhan. I have always found that showing a little respect gets the same back.
laughing_magpie06

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the most part people here are no more conservative than the average christian in a western country. If anything, in Indo it is the christians who follow their religion more closely. I can go shopping locally with just a pair of shorts and sandals. And I think I would offend more people in my own country by doing that.
Henry_Cowell

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all posts, this "ghost" refers to itself/himself/herself as it, one, or ghost. Never he or she. I wonder if gender assignment has not yet taken place. Rolling Eyes Cool Rolling Eyes

Indonesians have various words for such creatures: waria, banci, and wadam come to mind. But not hantu (= "ghost").
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: bye-bye Reply with quote

Two postings deleted for containing personal insults. If it keeps up, this thread goes bye-bye and some members get an unpaid temporary or permanent vacation.
happy_me

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a sad sad thing when Teachers need to be moderated.

Living here is not a ? of religion, but one of can you adopt to life in a place that has not what you are use to, by that I mean be tolerant of others life, let them live it at they see fit without judging or trying to change them, not wanting life to be as you want it, but as it is! remembering that what you do at home may not be right here and may even hurt others.

That will be a start
jaganath69

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you don't start banging out the tunes in front of a Masjid and swilling scotch and feasting on babi bakar at the same time you should be fine. Knowing how to avoid offense is three quarters of the battle most times.
TEAM_PAPUA

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: * Reply with quote

YO HO HO!!!
happy_me

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Papua, I knew you were that kind of guy, but trust me they will like you better if you come with a bottle of Topi Miring!!
ghost

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: so is it possible to drink beer in Indo? Reply with quote

Ghost likes to relax at the end of the day with a nice cool bottle of beer....how easy is it to obtain beer in Indonesia, and if it is available should you restrict drinking to the privacy of your home, or is it "accepted" to drink in public as a foreigner, and Indonesian for that matter?

In Turkey, ghost noticed that beer was very popular with many Turks, and many national sports events were sponsored by the Turkish National brand - Pilsen......what is the situation in Indonesia for expat beer drinkers?

ghost
rayman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's extremely easy to buy beer throughout the day and night. The most economic approach is to buy in bulk at a large supermarket such as Carrefour. Although, you'll only pay about 10c a can extra at a warung or convenience store. The only time it may be more difficult to buy alcohol is during ramadan. The large supermarkets and some dduty free stores will still stock it though.

As for drinking in public, generally beer is no problem. Spirits on the other hand is more strongly frowned upon. A lot of it would also have to do with the approach. If you're quietly keeping to yourself, offense will be kept to a minimum.
xsbir

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: so is it possible to drink beer in Indo? Reply with quote

ghost wrote:
Ghost likes to relax at the end of the day with a nice cool bottle of beer....how easy is it to obtain beer in Indonesia, and if it is available should you restrict drinking to the privacy of your home, or is it "accepted" to drink in public as a foreigner, and Indonesian for that matter?

In Turkey, ghost noticed that beer was very popular with many Turks, and many national sports events were sponsored by the Turkish National brand - Pilsen......what is the situation in Indonesia for expat beer drinkers?

ghost

According to a survey published recently in the Jakarta Post, only about 2% of all Indonesians drink any alcohol. However, in the Jakarta area you will see groups of men drinking outside and no one seems bothered. In the Blok M area in Jakarta you might see foreigners walking around drinking a can of beer, and no one cares.

In Kupang, West Timor, a much higher percentage of people in this Christian majority area drink alcohol. In fact, I've read there's even an alcohol "problem" there. In Kudus, Central Java, where I was visiting recently, alcohol can no longer be legally sold within the city, but in previous years it was never a problem. There is no sharia law there, but apparently there is in Tanggerang, Banten-no alcohol sold there either.

So Ghost, I think it depends a lot on where you are in Indonesia whether you can easily get and openly consume the precious nectar of the gods known as beer.
rayman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have noted my reply was relevant to Jakarta specifically. Relative to Jakarta, Bali is less conservative and everywhere else more so.
beefer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stagger down the street in jakarta with beer in hand and you'll get snickers and a few strange looks
stagger down the street in medan with beer in hand and you'll probably get 10-20 lashings.

i agree totally with the others comments that it all depends on where you are in the country
ghost

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:15 am    Post subject: situation is tricky Reply with quote

The situation in Indonesia is tricky, because, going by the info. provided, there is a large variation in cultural expectations with regard to beer drinking in the different areas of Indonesia.....however, it seems clear that in areas where Islam is held seriously, one should refrain from imbibing..

In the Philippines, ghost found that the vast majority of Filipinos loved their beer.....but down in the Zamboanga area of the Philippines, largely Muslim .....foreigners might have problems there with some of the locals..

How about in Surabaya and the surrounding areas?

ghost
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: