Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cultural Extremes in Alexandria?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stoth1972

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worried about that, VS. Thanks for the info. Any thoughts on where a person of that age can find good work that seeks MAs? My concern is that the decent contracts in the ME tend to want people in their 30s, a bit more experience, but hearing that HCT is lowering the bar a bit, I'm wondering if that's an option. Her draw is to the the ME, and while I know plenty of two-bit unis out there that would hire, I'm just wondering about the better ones.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, getting the early experience almost always means taking the less desirable jobs. There are places in the Gulf, but I don't really think it is a very good place for people in their 20's. (a discussion that we've had on the board many times. Dubai has more younger people, but...)

One option might be SQU in Oman. But, life for the younger people there can be a bit dull - thought better than it used to be. And if she is into outdoor activities like camping and climbing, there is plenty of that sort of thing.

VS
stoth1972

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think she's ok w/ the slower pace of life that Muscat has to offer (she did a teaching practice in Nizwa back when there were no foreigners there). I thought SQU might be a good option, too. Thanks for the feedback!!
GlobalDawg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Consider Yanbu Reply with quote

Hi Stoth,

I agree that SQU is good. If she's interested in Saudi, suggest the new college for women in Yanbu. Although the school just got under way last year and from what I've heard their is much work in the way of teaching students how to learn, the position is through the Royal Commission at Yanbu which means that she'd have one of the better employers in the country. The hiring is open year round and I think they are still looking for teachers, preferrably females. With minimal experience, the MA would be a plus. There was a woman who posted a few messages back in August in the Saudi forum who took a position there. You might do a search and try to contact her. Yanbu is a bit remote, but the pace is slow--too slow for some. But, for saving money it's a great place. Also, several new buildings are under construction at YIC and construction is under way for Yanbu Industrial Institute.

Good luck,

GD
stoth1972

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, GD! I'm passing it on now, and will do a search on that place.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would avoid Saudi and particularly Yanbu... even the men that I know personally that went there only lasted months. ...and definitely NOT for a 26 year old woman... JMHO...

VS
stoth1972

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the material was a couple years old, so I wondered if there had been any change. Was just skimming the old posts on it...
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any way you look at it... it is Saudi... and it is Yanbu... and I don't think it's a place for any 26 year western female. Only if they are offering breathtaking salaries and the applicant is desperate for cash because her parent's home is being repossessed back home. Laughing (sounds like a good book plot...)

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: