Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Information on Prodem School in Konya

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Judyo45

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:15 pm    Post subject: Information on Prodem School in Konya Reply with quote

I am considering a position at Prodem school in Konya. Does anyone have any information to share about this school or about Konya in general?
FGT

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any specific info. regarding that school.

If you're already used to Turkey and considering work in Konya, I wish you well.

If you're thinking of taking this job as your first in Turkey I would urge you to consider carefully: Konya is one of the most conservative and fundamentalist cities in Turkey. Ramazan is fast approaching (no pun intended) and this could exacerbate cultural differences.

If Konya is right for you, then you are right for Konya; if not.....
ghost

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 4:08 pm    Post subject: Prodem Reply with quote

Pay is around 1.100.000.000 to 1.200.000.000 with free accommodation.

The owner seems nice.

Konya would be a good place to learn Turkish. Otherwise it might be a bit boring. Winters are very cold here and last for about four months.

Despite the conservative outlook, if you follow cultural norms you will find some very friendly people here.
Judyo45

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:01 am    Post subject: Information on Prodem School in Konya Reply with quote

Thank you for your information.
How cold is "cold?" Does it snow? Is it colder than the prairie winters in Canada? Is it a dry, or wet, cold?
What does "boring" mean? I know alcohol is no-no, but I don't drink and hate smokey bars.
ghost

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 2:01 pm    Post subject: Konya details Reply with quote

It's not that bad in Konya weather wise, especially for someone coming from Canada!

During the cold months of December to the end of February daytime temperatures hover around 0-10 centigrade, with nighttime temps. in the minus 5 to minus 10 centigrade range. It is a dry cold and easily tolerable. Temperatures would be similar to a place like Windsor, Ontario, except that it is dry rather than humid.

If you decide to live in Konya you will save a bunch of money on your salary because it is inexpensive.

If you go there you could join some of the University clubs and societies which offer good alternatives for your social life.

In Konya there are weekly films in English with Turkish subtitles.

It's not a bad place if provided you are not addicted to glamorous, glitzy places.
daveryan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 5:29 pm    Post subject: Konya Reply with quote

Smile I had the pleasure of a couple of weeks in Konya about ten years ago which was certainly an experience albeit not one that I would want to repeat. Even the dervishes have had the good sense to decamp to Istanbul. I also seem to recall that Konya was where a taxi driver was kicked to death on the street for smoking during Ramazan......That said Konya is close to some of the most amazing countryside in Turkey, about three hours by car from the lakes and maybe half that to Cappadochia and the people that I stayed with in Konya were very friendly and looked after me during a bout of chronic dysentery.....Happy memories!

Good luck
Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: