Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salaries Singapore
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sheepshead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a man swimming in the sea of a lifeguard patrolled beach. He got into difficulties and in tradition with attracting attention he raised his arm and waved it in the air.

Life guards on the beach saw the distress signal and sent a surf ski to help him. He immediately cried foul and abused the person who paddled out to help him. His abuse was so strong that the lifeguard then returned to the beach and sent a team of colleagues out in the surf boat.

Once again the drowning man abused them and refused to allow them to help him. Consequently, he drowned in the sea.

He was a really S � T � R � A � N � G � E man.

Is this a fair enough analogy of people who ask for help and then refuse it on these threads?

Let the readers judge for themselves!
dracotei

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good analogy. Some are very private about their money/business though. I'm not one.
dharmachicken

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Best possible conditions Reply with quote

I'm in Japan but not enjoying it and prefer to live in SEA so I'm sort of 'shopping' for a new place. I like Singapore and could see my husband and I living there, but we're not sure what kind of working conditions we could expect for our quals.

We've both got MAs in Applied Linguistics and CELTAs. He's got 3 years experience with students from kids to university students, and I've got 6 years experience with same experience plus a bit more uni experience and a little teacher training.

We don't want to work for private language schools (eikaiwa/ hagwon), but are not PGCE qualified school teachers. Uni work would be ideal.

Anyone know where to look and what to expect salary and hours-wise?

Thank you.
gajackson1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try casting my line here, too -

39 year old, single but engaged male teacher. BAAS (double majors in Speech Comm & Political Theory); solid grades; also Texas state secondary education teacher's certification (lifetime) from doing the full teacher ed courses (semester and full student teaching assignment; not the 'emergency cert' version). A couple of years public teaching in Texas, and the last 10 years living/teaching in South Korea - hakwon jobs, Yuhan-Kimberly (business English), an international school (North American cirriculum/standard) and even a Ministry of Education teacher training course. I have solid references, good interview skills, and a recent 120-hour residency-based TEFL/TESOL course (that I took more so to learn another teaching methodology than for any 'need' for the certificate). I do not have a Master's or CELTA/DELTA, but I take my teaching seriously and am looking for a good earnings-savings ratio potential,

I have been looking at Brunei (at the recc of other Dave's ESL friends), when a couple of people suggested Singapore as a possible alternative - more specifically, at the National University of Singapore. I also understand that international schools and/or hotel staff training could be comparable.

So, like Mrs. Chicken above me Laughing , any general advice/comments would be appreciated. I'm looking towards a July/Aug/Sept start, but want to start putting feelers out now.

I'm working through the threads here, but any advice/help/suggestions would be most appreciated on our end.

Regards from Seoul,

Glen (& Christina)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: