Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cost of living in Abu-Dhabi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rahal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Cost of living in Abu-Dhabi Reply with quote

I have got a job offer with Abu-Dhabi Emirate. I'm palnning to move with my family from US to Abu-dhabi. How much it costs roughly to rent a 4-beds and 3-baths (min) apart?. or villa for a family of 4-kids. Also, how much it costs for food, cloth, phone services. Also, is it good to buy new or used car and whether it is good to pay cash or finance ?(how much is interest rate?). Any idea about schools, do they have good international schools and how much it costs in general to send kids to private school?.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly hope that you are not being hired as an EFL teacher (as this is a board for teachers) because you won't be able to afford the housing for a place that large. You can find real estate sites on the net that give rent costs for comparison - this will be the higher end of costs.

Education costs for 4 kids will be astronomical at a good international school.

Food, clothes, phone and utilities are similar to the US. Cars are cheaper. New or used depends on how long you plan to stay... and whether you feel that you can gamble on breakdowns. You get a better price if you pay cash... a bank will finance to the extent of your contract.

VS
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between the school fees and the apartment rent you'll be paying to work even on the best EFL salary.
WD40

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who employed you? If it is the PI then you are covered. If it it HCT then you are 80% covered but if it someone else then you will be struggling. I have friends who have two jobs - teaching evenings at language schools which can raise nearly 3,000 dhs per month which might be enough depending on what you are going to get.

The good schoools are really expensive. There is the Australian school that is open which is a lot cheaper, the Cambridge school, AIS, Canadian and Chaifat.

Housing is going through the roof!!

Buy second hand cars from expats who generally look after their vehicles in order to re-sale

If you shop at the Co-op you save about 20-30% of the price over the much used 'Spinneys'

Interest rates vary from 4 - 8%

Inflation is unofficially running at 9% I think

Life is very safe and supportive for families with kids - check out abu dhabi mums
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that the OP is not in education because of the way his question was stated.

What teacher would expect to get/or afford a 4 bdr/3bath apt or villa in Abu Dhabi?

VS
WD40

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VS
Believe or not, there are many properties that are 4 beds/3 bath in Abu Dhabi (not off Island) still available for about 90,000. If you ask around and look in the older parts of town, they can be found and are quite often a lot better as the trees have grown and there is a mini community
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD40, I'm sure that there are as that would be a pretty standard size - or even considered a bit small - for the locals. But, are many expats moving into that market? What are the conditions of these places?

VS
globalnomad2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VS--in 2004 when I left the PI, my housing allowance was Dh. 90,000 for a family of three. That got us a beautiful 2,000 sq.ft. apartment with sweeping view of the city (not the corniche, except little corners of it).It had 3 bedrooms and two and 1/2 baths. The living room was so big we had to buy two living room sets--with lots of room left over! Well, with the furniture allowance of Dh. 44,000, it was no problem. Ah, I shouldn't have taken that year off! '

I wonder what that apartment goes for now. 20% more? 40%?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes gn2, I think we have discussed before that this wasn't your best professional move. Cool

So, for our OP - it looks like for a 4 bdr/3 bth, he is looking at an absolute minimum of 90,000 in some of the older areas... to big numbers.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: