Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

non-native teachers in ASIA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
janusz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 3:04 am    Post subject: non-native teachers in ASIA Reply with quote

Thank you all for the response.
These are valuable points you have submitted.
I am mainly interested in teaching in Korea or Japan, perhaps Hong-Kong.
Also, should I be up front about being a non-native speaker before my future employers, even though I am an American citizen, or should I remain silent about it unless they ask?
Thanks,
Janusz
bnix

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 3:28 am    Post subject: Don't Volunteer Too Much Information,,,,, Reply with quote

Polish ancestry,right?If you are an American citizen and it is not apparent from your level of English that you are not a native speaker,why rock the boat? You would not be lying,just keeping quiet.And if your English is good enough to teach the classes,why worry? I know a guy from The Czech Republic teaching here.He is not even a citizen of the US...but his English is good enough and his employers seem to be perfectly satisfied.As a matter of fact,your ancestry(especially if you are blonde) could turn out to be an advantage.What part of Texas is Rockwell in...just out of curiosity?
Roger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 4:17 am    Post subject: For some tasaks, non-native English teachers PREFERRABLE! Reply with quote

Here is some input that might give this thread new impetus:

CHINA INCARNATE WORLD is an American school operated jointly by US-based University of Incarnate World and South China NOrmal University. It's an elite school that brings to China the best that the USA has to offer to its many immigrants - who as students in CHina don't need to get a visa and relocate overseas.
The school offers a total immersion in American life.
If you want to know more about get a copy of the Education supplement of SCMP dated March 15.

One of the points raised was the fact that whilst most teachers are US citizens, they prefer non-native English teachers TO TEACH CHINESE STUDENTS ENGLISH GRAMMAR!
The rationale?
"For these positions foreigners who have mastered English forensically as a second language are preferred. 'Frankly, we don't want Americans here teaching grammar,' Ms Watkins says. 'Americans don't have a clue why they say things the way the do.'"
Glenski

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snipped from Roger's post:

Quote:
Ms Watkins says. 'Americans don't have a clue why they say things the way the do.'"

Sadly, I think Ms. Watkins has dealt with a lot of non-degreed Americans, certainly non-English majors.
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 5:30 am    Post subject: My grammer ain't bad Reply with quote

Dear Roger,
I hope that your inclusion of Ms Watkins quote:
" Americans don't have a clue why they say things the way the do."
did not constitute an " endorsement " of that lady's generalized misconception. As Glenski noted, perhaps her rationale for making such a statement was based on previous encounters with less than qualified people. Personally, I find her comment to be both sophistic and rather insulting, as most, if not all, biased generalizations are. I'm sure you would feel the same way about any equally incorrect stereotype directed towards other nationalities.
Regards,
John
Albulbul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 5:58 am    Post subject: What is a "native speaker" ? Reply with quote

Here in the ME they look at your passport and maybe at the institution that awarded your degree. I have had several colleauges here who were US citizens but foreign-born. Some had native-speaker competence (whatever that is !) and some did not. Passport is numero uno.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: