Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

7 NOVA Teachers Arrested
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimDunlop2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

craven wrote:
Speaking of fanning the flames of xenophobia...
http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/4754256182/?tag2=eichicojp-22&tag2=eichicojp-22

Thanks for the heads-up on that, craven. I do believe I'm going to go shopping after work today.

I know just what to do with that publication once I get my hands on it too... Rolling Eyes
shuize

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

craven wrote:
Speaking of fanning the flames of xenophobia...

THE GAJIN CRIME FILES...brought to you by Amazon Japan. Also available at your local Family Mart.

Ha Ha. That's great. I'll have to buy a copy just to keep up on which stereotypes cause the oyaji readership the most pain.
furiousmilksheikali

Location: In a coffee shop, splitting a 30,000 yen tab with Sekiguchi.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the way that when foreigners are speaking Japanese their words are rendered in katakana.
JimDunlop2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:56 am    Post subject: Got it! Reply with quote

Got it!

(Family Mart. Just as promised).

First, the back page. (Front page is available from the amazon link provided by craven)

http://img264.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hatelit1yy3.jpg

And the n*gger caption. A little hard to see, but trust me, you ain't missing much.

http://img123.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hatelit2dg0.jpg

All in all, the quality of the magazine photos are among the worst I've ever seen... It looks as though they were all taken with a keitai camera, and they're hopelessly blurry and much of the time you can't even tell whether the person in the photo is Japanese or not.

But the publishers of this hate literature should be made examples of -- and I'm going to do my utmost to ensure that it will be the case. My first step is to write polite letters to Familymart and to Amazon, requesting them to immediately pull this hate literature from their shelves. You'd think they would try NOT to associate themselves with groups like this...

I'm also going to run this by with a few human rights watchdogs to see
what they think of this. A good place to start might be Mr. Doudou Dienne, United Nations Special Rapporteur on racism of the Commission on Human Rights. He has made numerous visits to Japan, and each time the deep-rooted racism has appalled him when he then wrote his reports for the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights.
Atlas*

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is the publisher's webpage if anyone is interested
http://www.eichi.co.jp/esp.cgi?_file=newrelease&_page=_index&_page2=thumbs_new&_toNew=1

the publisher's company is Eichi - which means wisdom; sagacity. how wise is the publisher? well maybe it makes them a lot of money?

you can pick up their magazines also at Kinokuniya - although i don't know about this specific one.

they even make rap/ hip hop magazines and american tv magazines. guess the publisher is a little not all there.
taikibansei

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To return to the subject of the original post, anybody else notice that the arrests coincided with the recent absence of one of our most prolific posters, a person who has written in the past that "Japanese cops are cool about drugs"? Perhaps this individual, wits dulled after a long day slaving at NOVA, finally "toked up" with the wrong cop...? Cool
bornslippy1981

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

taikibansei wrote:
To return to the subject of the original post, anybody else notice that the arrests coincided with the recent absence of one of our most prolific posters, a person who has written in the past that "Japanese cops are cool about drugs"? Perhaps this individual, wits dulled after a long day slaving at NOVA, finally "toked up" with the wrong cop...? Cool

Excellent observation. He or she will have to get used to raquetball.
canuck

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

taikibansei wrote:

I heard in Saitama, tennis is code for bong parties.

Enjoy,

c
ripslyme

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

canuck wrote:
taikibansei wrote:

I heard in Saitama, tennis is code for bong parties.

Enjoy,

c

I got a PM from him/her the other day. He/she is still on the loose.

enjoy,

R
Dipso

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Got it! Reply with quote

JimDunlop2 wrote:
Got it!
(Family Mart. Just as promised).

Family Mart boycott:

http://www.japanprobe.com/?p=1072

Quote:
FamilyMart is removing the publication from all their shelves �within seven days�. However, they have issued no apology or explanation for why it was being sold in their stores.
osakajojo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow.
do u believe most Japanese do not really distinguish the difference between black and nigga?

oh, and I would love to know exactly how the dude was popped with drugs. Did the cops see the deal take place on the street or what?
Birdog3344

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Publisher: Eichi Shuppan 150-001 Tokyo-to, Shibuya-ku, Jingumae 5-38-4
Publisher-in-Chief: Joey H. Washington

So it's a Japanese publishing company with an English editor/publisher. Interesting. Is it possible that it was a spoof or an attempt at parody (as inappropriate as it may be)?
chirp

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="osakajojo"]wow.
do u believe most Japanese do not really distinguish the difference between black and nigga?[quote]
Do you really find that hard to believe? I don't at all. It doesn't change the fact that the term is disgusting though.
shoosh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just said "NO" to drugs so I won't have this problem Smile Although I do make my own herbal extracts and take them on a regular basis. Some of the herbs I use are said to be "illegal". I think I take about 30 different kinds for purifying the digestive and lymph systems and for feeding the brain and nervous system as well. One of my big concerns is what I'm going to do when I go to Japan as I'm not sure if these are considered illegal substances over there. I figure they would be more open to herbal medicine in the East but I just don't see it going well with me bringing herbal extracts through the airport.

Hopefully I can get better and more potent stuff over in Japan anyway and I won't need to worry about bringing my own herbs.
craven

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Thanks for the japanprobe.com link! I wondered when folks were going to stand and be counted on this one!
I wish I'd thought to steal it...I'm not a very good hanzai gajin I guess Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: