Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good Eng. schools in Cairo
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
teacherdude

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Good Eng. schools in Cairo Reply with quote

I am a very experienced Eng. teacher from Canada presently teaching in Istanbul.

I am seriously considering comint to Cairo this year.

Can you please give me a list of reasonably reputable schoosl that pay well. I am looking at minimum $ 1 500.00 a month.

Here in Ist. we have the regular schools (ie. primary and secondary), the course schools where you go for private lessons as a group or individual and of course the Universities.

You could you please reccomend some of these for me in Cairo?

When is the best time of year for hiring?

Regards,
Teacher Dude
xnihil73

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

most schools seem to do their hiring right now and in the next month or so. There's a very good list of international schools in cairo on wikipedia, check it out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_schools_in_Egypt
teacherdude

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thank you.

TD
stoth1972

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're well-qualified and experienced, then I would aim higher than $1500 US/month. Cairo American College, Modern English (Brit and N.American), British International SChool of Cairo, New Cairo British School, Maadi British School, American International School...all decent contracts (CAC and BISC probably having the best packages and conditions) and decent conditions. I'm sure I've left a few out. Once you start applying, check back with school names, and I'm happy to give you my two cents.
teacherdude

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thanks SToth 1972.

I will give them a buzz.

I'm looking at primarilly young adults or adults as students.

I've been teaching for the last nine years, so I think I'm quite qualified.

My forte is being able to communicate with Beginners, something that a lot of teachers seem to have a problem with.

Regards,
Teacher Dude
stoth1972

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not a qualified K-12 teacher, that limits many of those opportunities. Straight ESL teaching to adults or young adults outside of the conventional secondary classroom is not well-paying, unless you have an MA TESOL, or possible a dip, and even then, places like the British Council (who want CELTA and DELTA grads) don't pay $1500/month. I could be wrong, so if someone on the board knows better about their salary, I'm sure they'll speak up, however, I just saw an post for thm in Cairo a few months ago, and the salary wasn't much.

If you search the name "madhouseminx" on this site, you'll see her experiences of trying to find straight ESL work (outside of the K-12 classroom) in Alex and Cairo. If you are willing to teach secondary students in English medium schools (quite likely your standard English classes coupled w/ a dose of Geography, US HIstory, or something like that) then you have more opportunities, and the chance becomes better of finding something around $1500/month w/ some form of accommodation. Most people who've taught HS kids in Egypt will tell you it's not a lot of fun. Discipline in many private schools is severely lacking, leaving many teachers frazzled.

If you do have the MA, then I would look into American University of Cairo.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: thanks Reply with quote

teacherdude wrote:
I've been teaching for the last nine years, so I think I'm quite qualified.

The catch is that the Middle East tends to be as interested - if not more so - in your education credentials. Is your degree in primary or secondary education and are you a certified teacher in your home country? That is what the best schools require. That plus your 9 years experience should help you to get a job at the schools Stoth listed.

With only the experience, you are limited to the more 'difficult' schools.

VS
teacherdude

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: again, thanks Reply with quote

Thank you, this is allvery informative.

I usually enjoy the private course schools, because they are less stressful than being ft at a Primary/Secondary school.

However, the money offered at the latter here in Istanbul is QUITE good.

I have a Journalism Degree, with a post graduate Diploma in International Marketing. I have an internationally recognised TESL Degree (not CELTA OR DELTA). Of course I've been teaching for nine years.

I guess it's hard to suss out the situation in Cairo without actually having some direct interviews. However, I do appreciate the feedback.

I average about 1500 a month now, and usually put aside about 300 dollars monthly.

I could work elswhere, earn more and save more but my school is one of the more reputable in the city.

With other course schools I can work over time and put aside about $600.00 a month. I am wondering if these opportunities exist in Cairo.

However, Stoth, I'll check out your leads.

Dude.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lot of opportunity for private lessons especially if you enjoy working with kids. It takes some organization, and can take awhile to build up a client list, but you can make quite a bit of money.

One catch is that Egyptian Pounds are often difficult to change to another currency like dollars or euros. Sometimes you can get private students who pay in foreign currency and that also helps.

Stoth can tell you more about the acceptability of your creds... if they will have any effect.

VS
stoth1972

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, no CELTA rules out the British Council, which would have been you hopes for the highest paid academy work. As VS said, you can supplement w/ private lessons, but friends of mine who taught w/ the now defunct ILI Heliopolis were no where newar $1500/month, even w/ accommodation. Egypt is liveable on less, but you'd have to be a frugle traveller.

Your credentials might lend themselves to some secondary positions. Most kids in HS level in Egypt are not beginners at all, though you'll get your fair share of low-level learners who've managed to pass through the system year after year.
skullydude06

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: which schools takes new grads? Reply with quote

Which school takes new grads?
I am a new grad with a B.A Sociology from Georgia State University and a Tefl Certification from Georgia State University which included a teacher practium for one semester. I did some volunteer teaching/tutoring at international refugee centers for 8 hours a week, helping adults. I want to work in the middle east and I need to know which country I should start at and how much will be the pay.

thanks friends
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet the people with dial up connections loathe your avatar... can't you make it a more acceptable size?

VS
stoth1972

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skullydude:

I won't say that any of these schools are 'great' but some are better than others and all should accept a non-qualified teacher (most prefer experience-some will take any English speaker w/ a pulse).

Thebes
Choueifat
Sakkara
New Horizons
American International School (possibly)
El Alsson (prefers qualified teachers and experienced teachers...might take you depending on their need)

If you searched this board for most of those schools, you'd see the good, bad, and ugly. I worked for Choueifat, and did a short stint w/ El Alsson. Flexibility is key to survive even the decent schools in Egypt.
skullydude06

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: stoth1972 Reply with quote

Stoth1972

thanks for the great advice.
How many hours per week do you have to teach at those schools? 20-25hours per week? Honestly I just need the experience so I can get a job somewhere else.
skullydude06

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:26 am    Post subject: stoth1972 Reply with quote

At those schools that you listed in Egypt, can I make at least $1,000 US dollars or more?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: