Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Information on Bandung

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Information on Bandung Reply with quote

Hi there,
Could anyone tell me about living in Bandung. Any comments would be welcome.
Cheers,
Ned
sidjameson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was only there for a week so my words aren't worth much but I would say that Bandung was a bit of a let down for me. One half of the city was very poor indeed.. The other half got surprisingly more opulent as you went further north. In fact some of the houses were down right ostentatious. The university though was stunning. Definitely the nicest part of the city. The nightlife was very poor. As far as I could tell Jalan Braga's assortment of a few run down sleazy bars was it. The shopping malls were typical, as was the food and people (for Indonesia)
Further north of Bandung you really do escape all sense of the tropics with some really nice temperatures.
laughing_magpie06

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must agree with sidjameson. I was expecting Jalan Braga to be something like Jalan Jaksa but it was very quiet and looked like a collection of karaoke bars. I was there during Ramadan and the traffic was worse than in Jakarta-so much for getting away from it all. There are some nice Sundanese retaurants but try finding one that serves anything stronger than a lemonade. The only place I felt really comfortable was in my hotel next to the pool. Also the only reason I found Jakartans wanted to go there was to do shopping-huh Rolling Eyes
Chancellor

Location: Ji'an, China - if you're willing to send me cigars, I accept donations :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there for about a month in May-June 2006 and I enjoyed my time there. The mounds of trash nearly everywhere was a bit hard to tolerate.
Ned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Living in the hills... Reply with quote

Can you tell me what it is like to live up in the hills of north Bandung in an area called Dago? I believe that is where all the teachers live.

cheers,
Ned
Chancellor

Location: Ji'an, China - if you're willing to send me cigars, I accept donations :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Living in the hills... Reply with quote

Ned wrote:
Can you tell me what it is like to live up in the hills of north Bandung in an area called Dago? I believe that is where all the teachers live.

cheers,
Ned
My impression of Bandung (including Dago) is that it is a city of contrasts. There are opulent mansions but also what amount to little shacks all in the same area. When I was there I was staying in a house on Jalan Gandapura, which is in a different part of the city northeast of Asia-Afrika and southeast of Gedung Sate. If you drive even further north of Bandung, beyond Dago and up to Lembang, you'll find some nice homes (and not-so-nice ones) along with some awesome views of the countryside (where they grow strawberries, tea and other crops). It all depends on what you're looking for. There are gated communities that rival any found in American suburbia, there are tree-lined residential city streets, there are non-descript concrete apartment buildings...take your pick. Here's a Bandung city website you might want to check out http://www.geocities.com/bandungcity/
papillon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Oh dear! Reply with quote

Ned wrote:
Thank you for your comment Papillon but �a lady�s accommodating ways� do not interest me in the slightest. Perhaps I should not have said 'any comment'! Perhaps I should have said 'a worthwhile comment'! It is a genuine question and I would appreciate a genuine reply. Cheers!

Hey, you asked for the input bud..
PEP808

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ned,
If you're still reading, this is from a teacher who has been living in Bdg for two years. Anybody who has visited Bandung for a week or two has no idea what the city is like. There is a lot to do, and in 2 yrs I don't think I've been to Jl. Braga more than 5 times. Living on Dago is very pleasant as long as you don't get stuck in the "kampung bule" of Dago pojok and look farther to the north. Houses are affordable and spacious with beautiful views, about 8-15 mil per year. Food is plentiful and delicious, as are the women, should you be so inclined. I would not accept a job that pays less than 8 juta, and would look for 9 or 10, not because you can't live on less, but bcuz thats standard. The city can get boring after about two years and is not very close to beaches, but is close to Jkt, and not too far from pelabuhan ratu which is an ok beach. As for nightlife there are about five big clubs and about twenty pubs/bars/cafes (maybe 5 good ones), so not big, but maybe big enough for a year or two, depending on your appetites Wink . As for local arts, Bdg is the centre of Sunda culture, with quite a few good arts schools, and while its not yogya I'm sure you could learn a lot about traditional culture, if you're into that. I'm not staying for another year but I can recommend it for a year or two, and the schools have a decent standard. Just stay away from downtown...
Ned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Thanks... Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply PEP808... It sounds good!

Cheers,
Ned Smile
philbags

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I didnt know any of the Ban Dung Teachers were posting - wonder if I know you Pep.
Wanted to get onto this thread before but internet in china has been slower than a jaksa tart on a monday afternoon since the Taiwan earthquake.
Bandung also has a Hash house harriers; they used to have a news-sheet in the Setiabule supermarket. tho' typically they run on a monday afternoon so most teaching gigs wouldnt let you do it - assuming that you wanted to.
Anyone visiting should go up to the Selesar Sunario art gallery in Dago Atas.
I know a lot of teachers who have settled (and sometimes bought houses) up around there. depending on what youre looking for , it could be a lovely place to live - I even found a house where you could sleep through morning prayer, provided you used earplugs and took anti-mo.
PEP808

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quimby?
Spent any time in pangandaran, philbags? Have a coworker named Teddy?
If not, please ignore the above...
philbags

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZANZIBAAARRRR!
I can only guess who this is - however choices would be limited to mostly canadarians.
T-bag and I still teach and drink.
I'll PM you .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: