Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Part Time Work Outisde KSA -What's the deal....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Bigelow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:42 am    Post subject: Part Time Work Outisde KSA -What's the deal.... Reply with quote

Greetings all!

I need your advice...I've been in Saudi for a number of years now but over the last few years the company has gone from bad to worse and it's just not sensible for me to renew my contract for another year.I'm now ready to move on and I've secured a much better packag...... Laughing but my present employer refuses 100% to allow me to transfer and even a letter of no objection is not an option! Crying or Very sad

So although I know that I can go out and change my passport and come straight back in with my new sponsor, I don't see that as a sensible option (please correct me if I'm wrong) as to my knowledge if you're old employer catches wind of you being back here then they can have you booted out before you know it! Shocked

So I think I've decided to take a final exit only visa and spend the next year or so in a nearby country. So far I'm thinking Bahrain or Kuwait. Visa's are not a problem for me but in the event that I don't find a full time job then can you tell me what's the deal with part-time work? Here in Saudi it's abundant and as a qualified native speaker I can find work all over the place. So what's it like in Bahrain/Kuwait. Do you think that if I came over I'd be able to hook up some work pretty quickly or not? Question

Thanks a million for any advice!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say that visas aren't a problem but how are you going to be able to work legally in Kuwait or Bahrain - part time or full time - without a sponser to secure your visa? You say it's easy to find part-time work in KSA, but of course you have to have a sponser who is employing you in order to be able to get some parttime work on the side. I doubt that things are much more liberal in either of the countries you mention.
Jim Bigelow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Cleopatra,
I have a sponsor offering to provide me with an iqama in return for some consultancy work. The thing is, that alone would probably not allow me to live that well and so I was hoping for part time work.
Defiantly starting to forget about Bahrain and edging towards Kuwait....
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim

How are you going to get a visa for Kuwait? Do you have someone to sponsor you there? They don't even have tourist visas as far as I know. I didn't know any people doing privates while I was there, but they must have been around somewhere.

VS
Jim Bigelow

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi VS,
Over the last couple of years I drifted away from the safe and secure shores of teaching and swam into the perilous and murky waters of EFL Management!
During that time I did a fair bit of networking and from it made a few contacts. I'd be able to get a sponsor fairly easily but then I'd still need to bring in some cash!
So you used to be in Kuwait? How was the EFL situation then?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

It is probably difficult to get any kind of balanced idea about Kuwait from me, as I disliked the place and the job so much. As was the tradition of my KU department, I went for leave, and as soon as my possessions were on a ship leaving, I faxed my 'letter of resignation.' My previous experience in the Gulf had only been pleasant, but since your experience is with Saudi, you may find it all too familiar. Smile

This was back in '98. I remember hearing about all these KU teachers who worked in language schools for the extra money, but I didn't hear of one teacher doing private lessons. But, I was in a very small department off the main campus, so I didn't have that much contact with other teachers. I socialized with friends who lived there, but were in other fields.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: