Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Steps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AJAlex

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:24 am    Post subject: First Steps Reply with quote

Having recently completed a 4 week intensive TESOL certificate (in beautiful Barcelona), and armed with my degree I am now trying to find my first real teaching job. I do have some experience in the classroom - I worked for a year as a classroom assistant but no TEFL experience as such. Yep, I am a newbie! I am also 32 years old, and a single female (Scottish). I have read through a lot of the posts on the site and have found them very helpful but I would be sooo grateful if you guys could give me any insider tips on how I can get myself a job in Mexico starting ASAP!!! - Would it be better if I went out there and applied directly to schools - I could probably finance a trip for about 4 weeks- (slightly worried that I would spend the time sampling tequilla and nachos) or alternatively, keep plodding on with the advertised vacancies and cold calling to schools... I am not limiting myself to Mexico but it would definately be a preferred option. Very Happy Thank you
Ben Round de Bloc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably aren't going to find a lot of job ads for Mexico. There are a few out there from time to time but not many. Most schools don't advertise further than locally. My suggestion is to narrow it down to a few locations in Mexico that appeal to you regarding things such as climate, size of city, near a coast or inland, preference for earthquakes or hurricanes Twisted Evil , etc. Then try to make some contacts via the internet (teachers and DOSs) to get a feel for what the TEFL job situation is like in those areas. If any sound promising, go there and look for a job in person on your own. If you're the less adventuresome type, perhaps a job placement service would be helpful.
AJAlex

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 4:27 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thank you for your speedy reply! I had figured that the best way to get a decent job would be to start networking a bit - and what better place to start than Dave's! My next step will be to start to narrow down the search a bit - I am definately not the city type - much as I enjoyed my Barcelona trip - I think I will aim for coastal regions and smaller towns. As to preferred location, I have to admit that the beaches and sunshine are a definate pull (the peninsula would be perfect). Anyway, good to make contact- I'm sure I will have more questions and comments as research gets underway - in the meantime thanks again for your help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: